The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Swinging elbow contact (video)

I found this video on youtube, what do you have on it?

Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

The action is difficult to see because there are other players in the way and the camera is at a distance.
If one of our video gurus could copy this and post it again such that it can be viewed in slow motion that would be helpful.
For now, my opinion is that the action constitutes either a player control foul or an intentional personal foul. I do not believe that it warranted a flagrant personal foul. The act was not savage or violent, just reckless.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 05:46pm
High Five Master

Swinging elbow contact (video)

Video intro says flagrant and ejected. I'm ok with that but that was a terrible camera angle. Looks look the L just had a common PC foul but I didn't have sound on when I watched it so that might have more info

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 05:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

He incorrectly called a T. She was purposely swinging her elbows and connected to an opponent's face. I'm good with a FPF.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

From the camera angle, it's hard to tell exactly where the contact occurred. If above the shoulders, a minimum of an intentional foul. If contact was below the shoulders, a minimum of a player control foul.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The action is difficult to see because there are other players in the way and the camera is at a distance.
If one of our video gurus could copy this and post it again such that it can be viewed in slow motion that would be helpful.
For now, my opinion is that the action constitutes either a player control foul or an intentional personal foul. I do not believe that it warranted a flagrant personal foul. The act was not savage or violent, just reckless.
Press play. Hit YouTube link. YouTube lets you slow it down to .25 speed.

I doubt this is ever happening right in front of me. Probably could've called two jumps balls or a violation for excessive swinging of elbows. I'm pretty quick on jumps balls at this level when stupid stuff is liable to happen if you let it go. Again, could've called a violation also. Waiting was probably a mistake.

If it gets to an elbow in the face. Someone is probably sitting for the night.

Last edited by Dad; Wed Dec 30, 2015 at 06:14pm.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 06:10pm
Official & Member

At a minimum...Intentional Personal foul. I think a case can be made for a Flagrant...I'd defer to the official who was on top of the play and had a better handle on the temperature of the player involved as well as his view of the action in question. Definitely not a T though.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Press play. Hit YouTube link. YouTube lets you slow it down to .25 speed.

I doubt this is ever happening right in front of me. Probably could've called two jumps balls or a violation for excessive swinging of elbows. I'm pretty quick on jumps balls at this level when stupid stuff is liable to happen if you let it go. Again, could've called a violation also. Waiting was probably a mistake.

THe biggest question is, why did the video creator force us to look at the opening screen for 25 seconds? That's freaking ridiculous!!

You can't just make up a jump ball to keep this from happening. G21 was moving enough with the ball after the rebound that I doubt anyone's getting in there for a tie-up. There is the potential to call a violation for swinging elbows the first time she goes around, but due to the camera angle and the number of other players between G21 and the camera, hard to tell really.

Anyone have any thoughts on W34 with her "high clapping" after the foul has been called?

One more thing: How do you get half way through the second quarter of a girls game with only ONE foul called(prior to this one)? Surely there had to be some nasty ugly illegal screens that could have been called in the first quarter!!
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 09:22pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
THe biggest question is, why did the video creator force us to look at the opening screen for 25 seconds? That's freaking ridiculous!!

You can't just make up a jump ball to keep this from happening. G21 was moving enough with the ball after the rebound that I doubt anyone's getting in there for a tie-up. There is the potential to call a violation for swinging elbows the first time she goes around, but due to the camera angle and the number of other players between G21 and the camera, hard to tell really.
Agreed on both points.... from this angle, I don't have any way to call a held ball.

Intentional Personal foul at a minimum, and I wouldn't try to talk a partner off a flagrant if I had this angle on the action.

Quote:
Anyone have any thoughts on W34 with her "high clapping" after the foul has been called?
Nothing more than a talk-to, unless a) she's staring down an opponent or clapping in the opponents face (neither of which are true here) OR b) she's been warned previously for a similar act.

Quote:
One more thing: How do you get half way through the second quarter of a girls game with only ONE foul called(prior to this one)? Surely there had to be some nasty ugly illegal screens that could have been called in the first quarter!!
It can happen... I had a varsity girls game earlier this season with only 4 fouls called in the first half. And I've had boys games where I've had both teams in the double-bonus within the first 6 minutes of game time.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
At a minimum...Intentional Personal foul. I think a case can be made for a Flagrant...I'd defer to the official who was on top of the play and had a better handle on the temperature of the player involved as well as his view of the action in question. Definitely not a T though.
I wouldn't defer too much to the official here ... he called a T for live ball contact. That speaks to his lack of credibility in my opinion. As was noted in a previous post, this would be an easy violation for excessively swinging elbows and the whole situation is avoided. I can't imagine a more textbook "swinging elbows" violation. It isn't until about the 4th or 5th wild elbow swing that there is contact.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 11:26pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
I wouldn't defer too much to the official here ... he called a T for live ball contact. That speaks to his lack of credibility in my opinion. As was noted in a previous post, this would be an easy violation for excessively swinging elbows and the whole situation is avoided. I can't imagine a more textbook "swinging elbows" violation. It isn't until about the 4th or 5th wild elbow swing that there is contact.

Perhaps. More likely the elbows would have continued swinging and there would have been the violation followed by a intentional or flagrant foul for dead ball contact. I doubt even calling a holding foul on the defense would have cleaned this play up soon enough to prevent the elbow contact.

As for the call, from the camera angle and with other players in the way, it is hard to tell if she lined her opponent up, making a definitive answer difficult, however, I am leaning flagrant, but would go with nothing less than intentional.
Old Wed Dec 30, 2015, 11:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ... ...

2012-13 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
2. Contact above the shoulders. With a continued emphasis on reducing concussions and decreasing excessive contact situations the committee determined that more guidance is needed for penalizing contact above the shoulders.
a. A player shall not swing his/her arm(s) or elbow(s) even without contacting an opponent. Excessive swinging of the elbows occurs when arms and elbows are swung about while using the shoulders as pivots, and the speed of the extended arms and elbows is in excess of the rest of the body as it rotates on the hips or on the pivot foot. Currently it is a violation in Rule 9 Section 13 Article.
b. Examples of illegal contact above the shoulders and resulting penalties.
1. Contact with a stationary elbow may be incidental or a common foul.
2. An elbow in movement but not excessive should be an intentional foul.
3. A moving elbow that is excessive can be either an intentional foul or flagrant personal foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Probably could've called two jumps balls or a violation for excessive swinging of elbows. I'm pretty quick on jumps balls at this level when stupid stuff is liable to happen if you let it go. Again, could've called a violation also. Waiting was probably a mistake.

Umm, no. As someone else mentioned you don't make stuff up just for the sake of expediency.

Better option, since that's what took place. The whistle, hopefully, stops the swinging and keeps other players from getting close to the BH/D.

After the L mistakenly called the T - or even if he hadn't called a T - it would've been a good idea for both officials to get together and talk about what just happened. In an ideal world that allows them to make the proper ruling (maybe the T says, "Hey, that can't be a technical foul because it was a live ball."). His initial signal should have been a PC foul and then go up from there after a chat with his partner.

As for White #34, I'm in favor of a T because she was clapping towards the offending team. That's taunting. If she's walking away from the incident I say leave it alone. At any rate, that would've been something else for the officials to discuss when/if they got together.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post

I'm not making anything up. Watch the video. There is an easy jump ball/swinging elbows situation where you can call either.

There's an elbow swing. A jump. An elbow swing. A jump. WACK a face shot. I'm not clipping another obvious video to make my point. Go to youtube and slow it down if it's too fast for you.

Last edited by Dad; Thu Dec 31, 2015 at 01:54am.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 02:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Umm, no. As someone else mentioned you don't make stuff up just for the sake of expediency.

Better option, since that's what took place. The whistle, hopefully, stops the swinging and keeps other players from getting close to the BH/D.
I agree. There are NO jump balls that I see in this video. There were several times opponents try to get their hands on the ball but it takes more than touching the to get a jump.

Quote:
After the L mistakenly called the T - or even if he hadn't called a T - it would've been a good idea for both officials to get together and talk about what just happened. In an ideal world that allows them to make the proper ruling (maybe the T says, "Hey, that can't be a technical foul because it was a live ball.").''
We don't really know if he was calling a T as much as he might have just not known the signal for what he was calling. We don't have enough of the video to know what happened next (who shot the FTs and where they resumed play). It could be that the did it right and it was just an incorrect signal. I did that once a couple of years ago.....my initial signal for a live ball situation was a T and I instantly know the signal was wrong and correctly dealt with it as an intentional foul.

Quote:
His initial signal should have been a PC foul and then go up from there after a chat with his partner.
If you think something is an Intentional foul, it isn't a PC at all and the PC signal would actually also be incorrect. I go straight to the X signal if i think something is an IF. I don't have a problem upgrading if I've gone only PC first if a partner gives me more info but I see no reason to go with a PC signal initially on this.