The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Swinging Elbow

Using whatever rule set you work/comfortable with, what would you call? Excessive swinging of elbows violation, technical foul, no call?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

NFHS - excessive swing violation, since there was no contact. The official appeared to be straightlined and could not tell there was no contact.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
NFHS - excessive swing violation, since there was no contact. The official appeared to be straightlined and could not tell there was no contact.
This is a correct call under NBA rules.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 10:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've got an elbow violation in hs rules. It's a perfect example.

I'm curious, is that a T in the NBA? It seems the official sees there's no contact but nails him for just swinging the elbows. Or is an NBA flagrant signaled with a T?
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 10:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

And are those fans on the court? I know the Pepsi Center had an issue with that this year.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I've got an elbow violation in hs rules. It's a perfect example.

I'm curious, is that a T in the NBA? It seems the official sees there's no contact but nails him for just swinging the elbows. Or is an NBA flagrant signaled with a T?
In the NBA, actions like the one above are considered to be taunts...as in, "you better back off, or I'm smacking you with an elbow just like the one I threw." A flagrant foul is indicated by a fist, then pointing to the free throw line extended.

Last edited by APG; Fri Jun 29, 2012 at 10:49am.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 12:25pm
beware big brother

Since there isnt any contact, this is a clear swinging elbow violation in both hs and college. i dont know anything about nba rules, so i will take apg's word for it that a t is warranted.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
In the NBA, actions like the one above are considered to be taunts...as in, "you better back off, or I'm smacking you with an elbow just like the one I threw." A flagrant foul is indicated by a fist, then pointing to the free throw line extended.
The NBA also has this which could be applied as well. It's part of the list of technicals that can be called for conduct:

Quote:
A deliberately-thrown elbow or any attempted physical act with no contact involved.
NFHS and NCAA it's just a violation but in NCAA the officials would most likely go to the monitor - if they had one - to check for contact.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Mon Jul 02, 2012 at 09:01am.
Old Sun Jul 01, 2012, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

I think that is the nba ref that was at our camp this year. Great guy. Scott something last name escapes me right now. A violation in HS for sure. may had ea word with the player about that as well.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2012, 12:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
The NBA also has this which cuold be applied as well. It's part of the list of technicals that can be called for conduct:

NFHS and NCAA it's just a violation but in NCAA the officials would most likeley go to the monitor - if they had one - to check for contact.

Well this once was a technical foul previously until several years ago this changed because it was felt that it was not being called enough. I think this was a good call no matter the rules. Of course it is not a T other than the NBA.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 02, 2012, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
I think that is the nba ref that was at our camp this year. Great guy. Scott something last name escapes me right now. A violation in HS for sure. may had ea word with the player about that as well.
Scott Twardoski

Old Mon Jul 02, 2012, 06:03am
Esteemed Forum Member

You Could Be Swingin' On A Star ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well this once was a technical foul previously until several years ago this changed because it was felt that it was not being called enough.
I believe that excessive swinging of elbows (NFHS) has gone from a violation, to a technical foul, back to a violation? I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying along shortly to confirm, or deny, my ancient interpretation. A reminder to Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., per our merger with Twitter, posts must be 140 characters, or less.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jul 02, 2012 at 06:06am.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2012, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Scott Twardoski
thats it. lol thanks apg

Last edited by AKOFL; Mon Jul 02, 2012 at 11:59pm.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2012, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I believe that excessive swinging of elbows (NFHS) has gone from a violation, to a technical foul, back to a violation? I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying along shortly to confirm, or deny, my ancient interpretation. A reminder to Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., per our merger with Twitter, posts must be 140 characters, or less.
You are correct, sir...

Quote:
2002-03 NFHS Basketball Rule Changes
9-13 New Changes the penalty for excessively swinging arms or elbow(s) to a violation (from a technical foul).

PENALTY CHANGED FOR EXCESS SWINGING OF ARM(S)/ELBOW(S) (9-13 NEW): The penalty for excess swinging of the arm(s) or elbow(s) has been changed back to a violation from a technical foul. The previous rule of a technical foul (changed in 1993-94) was very seldom called, as the penalty was very severe: two shots, the ball awarded to the opponent, the player charged with one technical, which also counts toward that player’s five for disqualification and the team foul count; all without any contact on the opponent. The primary purpose of penalizing these types of movements is to reduce the potential toward rough play. The committee hopes that by changing the infraction back to an enforceable and less severe penalty (a violation), the call will be made more frequently and will achieve the desired results. If a player makes contact with an opponent while excessively swinging the arm(s)/elbow(s), the official still has several options: a player control foul, an intentional foul or a flagrant foul. The specific call should be determined by the severity of the act and player intent (based on official’s judgment).
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Jul 02, 2012, 11:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You are right and I did know that as well. Not many people do unless they have been around for 20 years or played during that time as well.

Peace