The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I don't think anybody is arguing the possibility of calling excessive swinging of the elbows. What's being questioned is your ability to see a held ball from this camera angle.

That travel/held ball concept is not anything I've ever heard of.
I'm calling a violation, but here's why I say jump ball. Looks like there's probably a hand on the ball when she starts swinging. If you're not going to call the violation then she's using undue roughness to get the ball away. Imo, calling a jump ball is better than waiting for someone to get wacked. Violation is the much better call, no question.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Full. Looks to me like there's an initial excessive swinging of elbows with the defense having hands on the ball. I'm probably making a call here based off what I think this game has looked like after watching this play.

Why let her swing around and not get it right away with a clump of players involved?
What exactly do you think this game has looked like after watching this play?
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Ok, so off topic but....

3-person crew in a California sub-varsity tournament? That is an unexpected sight.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Ok, so off topic but....

3-person crew in a California sub-varsity tournament? That is an unexpected sight.
WHy don't you start a new thread instead of trying to derail this one?
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
What exactly do you think this game has looked like after watching this play?
Like a low level girl's game.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Like a low level girl's game.
OK, but what kind of activity are you assuming has occurred to justify a made up call?
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Who cares what may have happened. Call fouls based on what HAS happened.
Heaven forbid we would want to discuss how to improve as officials. And my comment did talk about the existing play, I said white 4 could be called for a push immediately prior to getting popped in the face. Have a nice day.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Heaven forbid we would want to discuss how to improve as officials. And my comment did talk about the existing play, I said white 4 could be called for a push immediately prior to getting popped in the face. Have a nice day.
*Evidently 'ballgame99' is referring to the use of 'preventive officiating'; which is a point well-taken. From my perch, I've seen some rebounders (A1) who immediately use the "chin it" technique when they have obtained control of the rebound. Visualize: holding ball close to chest with elbows horizontal and static. Now, if B1 want to nit-pik and swipe at the ball (instead of playing patient on-ball defense) once it's in that secured position, then I will call a 'hit' foul on B1 to prevent A1 from having to escalate his/her protective measures (i.e., by the use of 'elbow swinging')--ergo a turnover for team A due to the violation cited in "9-13-1-Penalty". So, I guess one could say that I tend to err towards the 'rebounder's rights' to protect the ball/posession instead of penalizing him/her.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Thu Dec 31, 2015 at 01:29pm.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
OK, but what kind of activity are you assuming has occurred to justify a made up call?
I've already made my case for what I said. Doubt anything else is going to appease you.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
*Evidently 'ballgame99' is referring to the use of 'preventive officiating'; which is a point well-taken. From my perch, I've seen some rebounders (A1) who immediately use the "chin it" technique when they have obtained control of the rebound. Visualize: holding ball close to chest with elbows horizontal and static. Now, if B1 want to nit-pik and swipe at the ball (instead of playing patient on-ball defense) once it's in that secured position, then I will call a 'hit' foul on B1 to prevent A1 from having to escalate his/her protective measures (i.e., by the use of 'elbow swinging')--ergo a turnover for team A due to the violation cited in "9-13-1-Penalty". So, I guess one could say that I tend to err towards the 'rebounder's rights' to protect the ball/posession instead of penalizing him/her.
What's the signal for this?
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 02:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
And what if all the swipes at the ball are clean? I was very adept at popping the ball out of a rebounder's hands.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 02:55pm
Get away from me, Steve.

(Why can't people just call the game and not make shit up?)
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

I feel trying to justify a held ball is only cause one saw the end result of this video. In no world is the action in the video close to a held ball. Sometimes, **** happens.

I'd lean toward a flagrant foul. Wind up, impact, follow through....there's at least two on this play...impact above shoulders and a follow through.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Not likely, but possible that L had a foul, she said something immediately and he then had a T... he may just be guilty of quick signals.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
Not likely, but possible that L had a foul, she said something immediately and he then had a T... he may just be guilty of quick signals.
I had that thought previously as well, but then thought no, because the T would deserve to have a whistle of it's own on it as well, and there was no second whistle to go with the T.