The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 03:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Home teams sometimes like to show off their cool uniforms which usually aren't the white ones.
There's an exception in the NFHS rule code?
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
There is an arrow required. If nothing else, they can use a water bottle. If you're working one of those games, though, no one is going to care if you have a rubber band on your wrist or a whistle in your pocket. Do what needs to be done.

If I'm working anything MS or above, there will be an arrow of some sort.
Maybe my situation isn't the norm. For a lot of summer ball there is only one person at the table. They try to get a 2nd, but it's often 2x more work for me and I gave up and just tracked everything myself.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Nope
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 03:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

It could be a tournament or it could be something a state does not care about to penalize as long as the teams are contrasting. I have heard of all kinds of things states do not enforce from the rules of the NF. No big deal if you ask me.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 06:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The New Gray ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Why is the visiting team wearing white?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
We have a tradition, here in Connecticut, that private prep schools (modified hybrid NFHS/NCAA rules) wear white on the road, and dark at home.

I always takes me a few minutes to figure out who is who in regard to team fouls on the scoreboard.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 06:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Team Fouls ??? What Do You Mean By Team Fouls ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If you are using a water bottle or a pencil, that is adequate if you do not have a situation.
The Catholic middle school league that I occasionally work has a policy that the table does not keep track of the arrow. We're lucky if they keep the correct score on the scoreboard, remember to turn the clock on, and off, properly, and keep track of team fouls. Officials are required to keep track of the arrow. It's in our contract.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 06:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The Catholic middle school league that I occasionally work has a policy that the table does not keep track of the arrow. We're lucky if they keep the correct score on the scoreboard, remember to turn the clock on, and off, properly, and keep track of team fouls. Officials are required to keep track of the arrow. It's in our contract.
you need someone with backbone to rewrite your contract.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 07:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Like Stealing Money ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
you need someone with backbone to rewrite your contract.
We're already stealing money. $86.00 for an Catholic middle school eighth grade girl/boy doubleheader; seven minute periods; in, and out, in about two hours; all games close to home. Last season we were asked to email the scores to the league webmaster after the game. For $86.00? No problem.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 30, 2015 at 07:12pm.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 07:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
We're already stealing money. $86.00 for an Catholic middle school eighth grade girl/boy doubleheader; seven minute periods;, in, and out, in about two hours; all games close to home. Last season we were asked to email the scores to the league webmaster after the game. For $86.00? No problem.
Yeah, I can see that. Disregard my previous post.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We're already stealing money. $86.00 for an Catholic middle school eighth grade girl/boy doubleheader; seven minute periods; in, and out, in about two hours; all games close to home. Last season we were asked to email the scores to the league webmaster after the game. For $86.00? No problem.
Hmmmm. I guess we have a better negotiator. We get $90 for a middle school doubleheader, we have arrows at the table, and we don't have to send anyone the scores.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 11:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Perks ...

Quote:
I guess we have a better negotiator. We get $90 for a middle school doubleheader, we have arrows at the table, and we don't have to send anyone the scores.
Eat free at the concession stands?

Old Sun Dec 20, 2015, 10:56am
Esteemed Forum Member

No More Hanging Around The Table After The Game ...

Quote:
I guess we have a better negotiator. We get $90 for a middle school doubleheader, we have arrows at the table, and we don't have to send anyone the scores.
New Catholic middle school assigner this season. Still no arrow at the table, but we don't have to send in the scores. Also a pay increase for "junior varsity" (fifth, and sixth grade) games. $86.00 for three games (six minute periods). He must have held out for a better deal during negotiations in a smoke filled back room.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 20, 2015 at 11:35am.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 12:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

Uncle Moneybags ...

Quote:
New Catholic middle school assigner this season ... a pay increase for "junior varsity" (fifth, and sixth grade) games. $86.00 for three games (six minute periods).
The check that I got was a mistake.

Our new fee is $105.00 for three games (six minute periods). An extra $19.00.

Now I can afford a villa in Tuscany.

If you guys are ever in central Italy, be sure to look me up.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 21, 2015 at 12:46am.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
I don't see why this is so difficult. After the opening tip, I glance at the table to ensure they have the arrow pointed the right direction. If they don't, I'll go tell them to correct it during the first dead ball.

From there, after every AP throw-in, I make sure they change the arrow properly. In this way, I always know who should get the next throw in, and I also know that the arrow is correct.
I do exactly that too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Great way to do it, but it doesn't work for everyone. I'm not going to turn my head during live ball.

And as stated several times, at lower levels there just isn't an arrow.
An arrow at the table is required by rule. If you don't have one, then create one from a water bottle or towel or something.
I don't know where you officiate, but I have a hard time grasping that HS games would be conducted without the required equipment, such as a visible clock, scoreboard, arrow, nets, etc.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2015, 03:04pm
We don't rent pigs

I think (I hope) that all of us at least have a tendency to look to be sure that the arrow is initially set right and that it is switched when it is appropriate to do so. The wild card in this is that occasionally the arrow is switched when it shouldn't have been. "Oh, I thought y'all called a jump ball." If this can be easily sorted out because it happened 30 seconds ago, I'll try to do it. But I'm not gonna use the whistle in the pocket or any other attempt to keep up with the arrow on my own in a varsity game situation. It is, by rule, the responsibility of the scorer to keep the possession arrow, and if we do have a conflict, I see nothing which gives an official the authority to overrule the arrow at the table.

Lonesome Dove