The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

You ever have one of those partners who is so off it makes you both look bad? I was incredibly frustrated last night. I met him at an association meeting, thinking refs in our association know what they are doing. He always stood in the wrong place on free throws, inbound passes, etc. If I called a foul, he ran to the table to report it. He T'd up a coach from across the gym that I was talking to! Because he was so inept, all the coaches and fans are losing it. I couldn't blame them. I just tried to keep everyone calm and ref the best game I could. Here's the question: 8th grade ball, NFHS rules. We have a foul and bonus shots. He's administering shots. I'm not paying full attention (my bad) because of the coach trying to bend my ear. He administers a second free throw after the first shot was missed. The second free throw is missed, but the shooting team rebounds and puts it back in. The other team inbounded the ball while the coach is (rightfully) going ballistic over the second free throw. The other ref got into an argument with the table about whether it was correctable or not. I slunk off into the corner and waited for the game to end. Two more T's and an ejected fan later, it was all over. So, was it correctable? The only thing I am going to correct is choosing my partners more carefully. I did try to suggest to him how he could improve technique, etc, and all he told me was "I ref lots of high school and other ball, and everyone says I do just fine!" I couldn't believe that one. He didn't even do simple things like chop in the clock!
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 03:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Maybe I am misread something, but what about this situation would have been a correctable error? Were the shots supposed to be one and one? Did the wrong shooter go to the line?

Also, why would a coach be in your ear on a FT? Would you not be on the opposite side of the court? I know there was a lot of frustration, but you cannot allow that frustration to take away from what your job is. You should always be paying attention to things going on. If there was a correctable error, that is a crew problem, not just something one official is responsible for.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, the shot was a 1 and 1. I was on the wrong side of the court because no matter where I stood, my partner consistently administered the free throw and proceeded to stand on the wrong side. (Two wrong positions make a right position???)
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 03:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
Yes, the shot was a 1 and 1. I was on the wrong side of the court because no matter where I stood, my partner consistently administered the free throw and proceeded to stand on the wrong side. (Two wrong positions make a right position???)
If you stood on the right side of the court, he might have got the hint. I would not do what you did because I would not want to talk to a coach about my partner when my partner is constantly screwing up.

Yes you would have correctable error if you noticed it in the proper time. It is not clear when you discussed whether it was a correctable error or not. So your partner might have been right at that time. Who called the foul that sent this player to the line?

Peace
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the order: I was lead. I called the foul. The fouled player was hit in the eye and was hurt, so the coach came out. I went to the table to report while he set up the free throw. After the injured guy was off the floor, there was a substitute shooter. Partner's standing opposite tableside as he's administering (as was his tradition), so I stayed tableside after reporting the foul. Coach is telling me how if we were calling consistently, nobody would be getting whacked in the face. With the delay after the injury and the other jawing going on, I also failed to catch that he was administering a second free throw after a miss. The second shot misses, rebound and putback shot go in. The other team throws the ball in play, and the other coach and (home) table start going nuts. They wanted the basket taken away. I tended to agree that it was uncorrectable.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 03:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

If you called the foul, you should not have allowed the incorrect situation to take place when shooting FTs. You would likely know better than anyone else what you called. Your partner might not have seen the foul you called and assumed (which he should not do either) that it was two. You allowed the coach to talk your ear off and get you out of what your job is. Tell the coach "I hear you" and walk away. You do not owe the coach an explanation for calls. That is simply a courtesy to talk to the coach at all. Especially if things around you were falling apart, I think it would have been best to go to the proper side of the floor and have a quick word with your partner to get him to be in the proper position.

This is what I am talking about having a certain presence on the floor. Part of your presence is to be able to be a leader on the floor and positively influence your partners in a positive way. Referee Magazine had an article about that very thing ("What Lead Officials Do Better than the Rest") This is one of these situations you have to step up when you are clearly working with an inferior official. Also understand this is an 8th grade game. If you asked this guy and he accepted I would not expect this official to be considered the top official around. For all you know this is the main type of game he can get. If you were not sure of his experience you should have asked him before the game or before you asked him to work with you.

Take this as a learning experience (one of many) and grow from this situation.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with you on all of that, JRut--and I learned, yes. The only point I can refute is that the foul was at midcourt where the girl went down, and I even heard him say "1 and 1" when he administered the first shot.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 04:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I'm with you on all of that, JRut--and I learned, yes. The only point I can refute is that the foul was at midcourt where the girl went down, and I even heard him say "1 and 1" when he administered the first shot.
What I am talking about is the foul situation per say, but the bonus situation. Unless there was a foul count on the scoreboard he might have assumed what the foul situation was (which he should not do). You have to pay attention to what your partner is doing when they administer FTs. If they are doing something wrong you need to be on top of it immediately. Now please do not take this as if I am ragging on you that is not my intention. I have been in the same spot you have been and I had to learn to pay more attention and not assume my partner is competent as me or my other partner. Even last night I messed up a FT situation that I administered during a bonus and I had to correct my mistake immediately. My partners gave me crap for it (all in good fun) and I learned from the situation. Mistakes happen to all of us. I know you will learn from this situation. The next time do not put that much stock in your partner. Take it upon yourself to know what the situation is and when there is a problem correct it no matter who you are working with.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 07, 2006, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Last night I worked with an official who was "out of practice." I asked him before the game how long he had been doing this. His reply was this is my first game in quite a few years. He assured me that he knew the rule changes. WHen the game started it turned out that his mechanics were wrong. He to lined up on the wrong side for free throws. HIs whistle was weak. I could not see his signals. I had both coaches in my ear. It was tough. I continued to move him around in position. He definitley made some questionable calls. Ended up being a long night.

Old Sun Jan 08, 2006, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Here's the order: I was lead. I called the foul. The fouled player was hit in the eye and was hurt, so the coach came out. I went to the table to report while he set up the free throw. After the injured guy was off the floor, there was a substitute shooter. Partner's standing opposite tableside as he's administering (as was his tradition), so I stayed tableside after reporting the foul. Coach is telling me how if we were calling consistently, nobody would be getting whacked in the face. With the delay after the injury and the other jawing going on, I also failed to catch that he was administering a second free throw after a miss. The second shot misses, rebound and putback shot go in. The other team throws the ball in play, and the other coach and (home) table start going nuts. They wanted the basket taken away. I tended to agree that it was uncorrectable.
Here are some useful sentences for future horrible situations.

To Partner: I really need for you to... (insert one specific item here, such as, stand tableside when you administer free throws. or.....don't administer free throws until I'm ready.

To Coach who's bending your ear: I need to go ref the game now.

To Table clambering for correction, or non-correction or whatever: I'm coping with it, please just wait a minute.

To Assignor: I've paid my dues. I don't want to work with that guy again.