The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Inbound pass hits referee OOB

In a scrimmage today I administered a throw in baseline. The inbounder immediately threw the ball at such an angle that it hit my hand that was raised to chop the clock. Ball deflected off my hand onto the court. I was so startled and did not make a call and the ball ultimately was picked up by B. No one on the crew had ever seen this before. I am thinking the play should of been whistled dead as the ball struck me out of bonds and given to team B as a turnover.

Interpretations?
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 11:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscref View Post
In a scrimmage today I administered a throw in baseline. The inbounder immediately threw the ball at such an angle that it hit my hand that was raised to chop the clock. Ball deflected off my hand onto the court. I was so startled and did not make a call and the ball ultimately was picked up by B. No one on the crew had ever seen this before. I am thinking the play should of been whistled dead as the ball struck me out of bonds and given to team B as a turnover.

Interpretations?
Throw-in did not go directly onto court.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

2-ball location (I think) -- a bal hitting an official is the bsame as the ball hitting the court where the official is standing.

No different from a bounce pass hitting out of bounds -- violation.

Now, I've never seen this (ball hitting the official), so I might wonder about the official's mechanics.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
2-ball location (I think) -- a bal hitting an official is the bsame as the ball hitting the court where the official is standing.

Now, I've never seen this (ball hitting the official), so I might wonder about the official's mechanics.
Agree. If it it the official's hand, the pass was either not even going towards the court or the official was far to close to the boundary line. The administering official should be BEHIND the level of the thrower looking across the thrower and out towards the court. No way the ball should ever come near the officials hand if so.
Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

I'm agreeing with the general opinion that this is a violation. However, if it were me and I realized my mechanic/position put the thrower at a disadvantage, I'd probably blow it dead and give them a do-over. And if the opposing coach took issue, I'd just say, "honestly, I screwed up and was not in proper position; not his fault."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I'm agreeing with the general opinion that this is a violation. However, if it were me and I realized my mechanic/position put the thrower at a disadvantage, I'd probably blow it dead and give them a do-over. And if the opposing coach took issue, I'd just say, "honestly, I screwed up and was not in proper position; not his fault."
It is never correct to re-do anything under NFHS rules. Please don't ever do this in a HS game. Save it for little kiddie rec play.
Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
It is never correct to re-do anything under NFHS rules. Please don't ever do this in a HS game. Save it for little kiddie rec play.

Your purism is duly noted as usual. I would expect nothing less from you.

Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 04:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You don't seem thrilled with Nevada's response. How about this: Your solution isn't supported by rule. The affected coach may not like losing possession but sometimes that's life.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Beubg ut of position is NOT a reason for any kinkd of "do-over."

We've all been somewhere out of position and affected play at sometime. Learn from it. that's all.
Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

What you're all saying is well-founded, and you know that for the most part I'm a rules stickler. I would never correct something that a rule does not allow me to if subsequent action occurred following that error (one must avoid dealing with the fruit of the poisonous tree), to include time running off the clock. But in my hypothetical case, it was 100% my fault, no subsequent action and/or time loss occurred, and thus no advantage or disadvantage fell on either team. There are (rare) times when the human factor and/or the intent of a rule trump the literal rule itself. It's a judgment thing. I know not everyone will agree with me and I'm ok with that.

BUT! To avoid the situation in the OP, I always take a subtle step backwards after putting the ball at the thrower's disposal. I'm 100% sure I call a violation in this case if it was a matter of the thrower making a less than advisable pass.

Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 01:59pm
Administrator

Quote:

It is most certainly not your fault that the Thrower could not pass the ball in such a manner that complied with the rules. The Thrower violated the Throw-in Rules. Call the Violation.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Nov 27, 2015, 02:00am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I wouldn't recommend doing this in anything above a YMCA game.

There are plenty of times where sideline logistics prevent us from getting behind a thrower, or the thrower moves back (ok, this one is rare) after we hand or bounce the ball. The thrower is expected to not hit us with the ball in this case.
Old Fri Nov 27, 2015, 09:24am
Aztec-Irishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Official's mechanic I would use is the following:

Stop the clock; open hand (whistle)
Then point to the floor out of bounds then point to floor in bounds and back. Similar to "back court" violation.
Then Team direction and then spot throw in.
Old Fri Nov 27, 2015, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutierrez7 View Post
Official's mechanic I would use is the following:

Stop the clock; open hand (whistle)
Then point to the floor out of bounds then point to floor in bounds and back. Similar to "back court" violation.
Then Team direction and then spot throw in.
I mean the mechanics that caused the official to be hit in the first place, not the mechanics of making the call once it happened.
Old Fri Nov 27, 2015, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

You can use the most awkward mechanics ever, still doesn't change that you are part of the court while you're on it.

If you're standing out of bounds it's out.

If you're inbound the ball is live and the thrower can't touch it until another player does.