The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal Inbound Pass?

So I was a ref in a HS game and my partner called an illegal inbound pass.
So what happened is Team B made a basket and then start to full-court press. Player A1 then picks up the ball to inbound it, he's about to pass it to A2 but realizes he's covered and trys to stop passing it. He ends up letting go of the ball but then catching it before the ball hit the ground and then attempted to pass it to A3 but my partner called it an illegal inbound. Also A1 never stepped over the line.

Last edited by Thegr8zebra; Sun Feb 15, 2015 at 08:49pm.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 09:14pm
In Time Out

so the ball moved forward but somehow he was able to catch it before it went in play? like a fumble perhaps. I don't see anything wrong with it. I mean the defensive could have hit it if it was in play. But if the ball and the player didn't cross the line, I don't see the violation.

Another question- same situation but say somehow the passing player caught the ball while it was over the line, and then he brings it back without his feet going over. Is that a violation?
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 09:16pm
We don't rent pigs

From what I read, no violation in either play above.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

No such thing as an "illegal throw-in," but was it a throw-in violation?

See 7-6-2. Did the thrower release the ball on a pass directly into the court? HTBT, judgment call. If he fumbled, it's not a pass. Legal. If it was a pass and he somehow caught it, then it didn't touch another player on the court before going out of bounds untouched, and it is therefore a violation.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 10:12pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
No such thing as an "illegal throw-in," but was it a throw-in violation?

See 7-6-2. Did the thrower release the ball on a pass directly into the court? HTBT, judgment call. If he fumbled, it's not a pass. Legal. If it was a pass and he somehow caught it, then it didn't touch another player on the court before going out of bounds untouched, and it is therefore a violation.

If he caught it himself it's not a pass.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
If he caught it himself it's not a pass.
This is true. 4-31.

However, suppose we have a throw-in in which A1 is by himself and just dumps the ball inbounds, and then he himself goes inbounds and is the first to touch the ball. He wasn't passing because he wasn't throwing, batting or rolling the ball to another player, yet we still consider it a violation if he's the first to touch the ball.

So how is it any different if the thrower starts to throw, bat or roll the ball directly into the court, releases it, and is then somehow able to retrieve it before he himself goes inbounds? Where in the rules does it say that the thrower physically going inbounds becomes the difference between violating and not?
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 11:59pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Where in the rules does it say that the thrower physically going inbounds becomes the difference between violating and not?
9-2-6 The thrown ball shall not touch the thrower in the court before it touches or is touched
by another player

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 16, 2015, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
9-2-6 The thrown ball shall not touch the thrower in the court before it touches or is touched
by another player
Nice response. I'm convinced.

So I think we're now all in agreement that what the OP described was NOT a violation (Incorrect call; failure to properly apply a rule).
Old Mon Feb 16, 2015, 08:00am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegr8zebra View Post
So I was a ref in a HS game and my partner called an illegal inbound pass.
So what happened is Team B made a basket and then start to full-court press. Player A1 then picks up the ball to inbound it, he's about to pass it to A2 but realizes he's covered and trys to stop passing it. He ends up letting go of the ball but then catching it before the ball hit the ground and then attempted to pass it to A3 but my partner called it an illegal inbound. Also A1 never stepped over the line.
So it sounds like the ball escaping the grasp of the thrower is an issue here? If so, there's no rule prohibiting him from releasing it and catch it himself, even repeatedly, while OOB for the throw-in.
So even if the thrower dribbled the ball, allowing it to touch the floor, there'd be no violation. Cf. 4-42-6 NOTE.
Right?
Old Mon Feb 16, 2015, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
So it sounds like the ball escaping the grasp of the thrower is an issue here? If so, there's no rule prohibiting him from releasing it and catch it himself, even repeatedly, while OOB for the throw-in.
So even if the thrower dribbled the ball, allowing it to touch the floor, there'd be no violation. Cf. 4-42-6 NOTE.
Right?
How about Basketball Rules Fundamentals 5. Neither the dribble nor travel rule operates during the jump ball, throw-in or free throw? (italics added)

I'm constantly fascinated by the human propensity to bend, stretch and convolute rules, to the extent that more and more rules, regulations, interpretations and explanations are needed.
In the wonderful game of basketball, the players and coaches are always and all ways trying to gain an advantage by doing so. And we, as officials, must deal with it. Thus, from the 20 Rules Fundamentals, we now have five books, and an ongoing process of evaluating, refining and trying to maintain the escence and propriety of the game.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2015, 01:43pm
AremRed

A ref asked me a similar question during a recent car ride: girl has throw-in, thinks about passing ball but holds on to it and the ball is released straight down to the floor where it touches part of the court. It bounces once and the girls picks it back up and keeps looking for a target. Ruling?
Old Mon Feb 16, 2015, 01:54pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
A ref asked me a similar question during a recent car ride: girl has throw-in, thinks about passing ball but holds on to it and the ball is released straight down to the floor where it touches part of the court. It bounces once and the girls picks it back up and keeps looking for a target. Ruling?
Did it touch inbounds or out of bounds? That answer is sufficient to make the proper call using the citations in this thread.

Last edited by justacoach; Mon Feb 16, 2015 at 01:56pm.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2015, 01:57pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Did it touch inbounds or out of bounds? That answer is sufficient to make the proper call using the citations in this thread.
*part of the court inbounds

I already know the answer.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2015, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

That'd be a fairly large ball

[QUOTE=AremRed;955129]*part of the court ??

As opposed to??

Jeez, some of the things that can get discussed here...OP must have a lot of snow on the ground..