The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post

If you're inbound the ball is live and the thrower can't touch it until another player does.

Question here: Assume you are talking about a throw in hitting an official on court (inbounds), but what ref is not going to be oob when a throw in is occurring? Hijacking here a bit, but if a live ball that is passed hits a ref inbounds, we know the ball is still live, but could that same player (passer) be the first to touch?
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 08:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
If you're inbound the ball is live and the thrower can't touch it until another player does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Question here: Assume you are talking about a throw in hitting an official on court (inbounds), but what ref is not going to be oob when a throw in is occurring? Hijacking here a bit, but if a live ball that is passed hits a ref inbounds, we know the ball is still live, but could that same player (passer) be the first to touch?
Huh? You just quoted a person who said the thrower can't be the first to touch. What have you changed in the scenario that would make the answer different?
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 08:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
If I bounce on a sideline, I'm likely on the floor inbounds.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The ball could hit a referee other than the administering referee.

The OP was a "live ball" being passed. I assume you mean a pass from a player inbounds, not a ball being inbounded. In that case, treat the ball hitting the official and being touched by the passer as a dribble. Whether it's legal or not will depend on what happened before the dribble.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Sorry, yes I meant a ball already in play inbounds. If A1 ends his dribble and in an attempt to pass to A2, the ball hits a ref standing inbounds, can A1 then be the first to touch or retrieve the ball as it caroms off ref? Would we treat it as a fumble?
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 08:56am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Sorry, yes I meant a ball already in play inbounds. If A1 ends his dribble and in an attempt to pass to A2, the ball hits a ref standing inbounds, can A1 then be the first to touch or retrieve the ball as it caroms off ref? Would we treat it as a fumble?
You said he passed the ball, that's an intentional act. How could we then say it was a fumble?

What do the rule and case book say about an official's status in regards to being hit by the basketball?
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You said he passed the ball, that's an intentional act. How could we then say it was a fumble?

What do the rule and case book say about an official's status in regards to being hit by the basketball?
Well, if I knew that, I would not have wasted anyone's time posting the question

Is it not ok to have a question about a play pop into one's mind and post it here for an answer/discussion?
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 09:41am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Well, if I knew that, I would not have wasted anyone's time posting the question

Is it not ok to have a question about a play pop into one's mind and post it here for an answer/discussion?
I'm asking you what you've read in the rule book concerning the officials and their status. That will give you a lot of information to use to answer your question.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It's been answered.

(And, there's always a little bit of a conflict between "teach to fish" and "give a fish")
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If I bounce on a sideline, I'm likely on the floor inbounds.
Why? That closes off angles you have to cover action out on the court and opens up your view of the area behind the thrower???
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Why? That closes off angles you have to cover action out on the court and opens up your view of the area behind the thrower???
What?
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What?
What was unlcear?

When you stand in front of the play, you can't see as much in front of the play. It is sort of like staying on a close-down position as lead but covering a play in the corner (2-person, or 3-person but inside the arc). You can't see anything else but the corner and will not see when something else is coming that way (a screen, etc.) So, you move out to mirror the ball so that you have a good line for coverage of the ball but keeping your field of vision open to the rest of the court.

Moving onto the floor for a sideline throwin, while I have heard a few promoting it, only reduces how much of your field of vision is into the court and makes your primary sightline either looking OOB or not covering the thrower and the throwin plane.

By staying OOB you have a much better line of sight on both the throwin action AND the court at the same time. Why reduce the vision you have of the court?

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Nov 30, 2015 at 02:52pm.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 03:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I can't think of a reason I've ever been on the court when administering a throw-in.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

I've never had an issue with it closing off angles. Only makes it easier.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2015, 04:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I've never had an issue with it closing off angles. Only makes it easier.
If you are on the court, then how does the player throw the ball in that direction? What if the offense has an inbounds play where one of the players runs along the sideline?

I'm still waiting for a good reason to be on the court during a throw-in.