The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Stepping Out of the Box W/O Timeout Granted

High school. BR steps out of the box while the pitcher is beginning his motion. Umpire does not grant time.

I am NOT an umpire but I thought I've read on here previously that in FED the pitch is an automatic strike regardless of where it is. Am I making that up?

So two questions:

1. Am I right or wrong in my memory?
2. What if the pitcher stops and there are runners? Nothing? Balk?
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
High school. BR steps out of the box while the pitcher is beginning his motion. Umpire does not grant time.

I am NOT an umpire but I thought I've read on here previously that in FED the pitch is an automatic strike regardless of where it is. Am I making that up?

So two questions:

1. Am I right or wrong in my memory?
2. What if the pitcher stops and there are runners? Nothing? Balk?
To answer your questions. Yes, it is a strike. You're also forgetting the penalty strike also. So it's two strikes for stepping out of the box and the pitcher delivers.

If the pitcher stops with runners on base after the batter steps out, it's nothing. It's a reset.

This is all covered in Rule 8 of the NFHS Rule book and Casebook.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shickenbottom View Post
To answer your questions. Yes, it is a strike. You're also forgetting the penalty strike also. So it's two strikes for stepping out of the box and the pitcher delivers.

If the pitcher stops with runners on base after the batter steps out, it's nothing. It's a reset.

This is all covered in Rule 8 of the NFHS Rule book and Casebook.
Thanks.

Let me make sure I follow.

Pitcher continues with the pitch: Are you saying that it's automatically a strike regardless of where it lands AND if it was truly a strike then the result is 2 strikes added to the count?

I do not have a FED rulebook/casebook so I appreciate your help.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks.

Let me make sure I follow.

Pitcher continues with the pitch: Are you saying that it's automatically a strike regardless of where it lands AND if it was truly a strike then the result is 2 strikes added to the count?

I do not have a FED rulebook/casebook so I appreciate your help.
No, It's two strikes period for the batter stepping out with time not granted and the pitcher delivers the pitch. One on the Pitch anywhere (Location doesn't matter), AND one for stepping out of the box.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shickenbottom View Post
No, It's two strikes period for the batter stepping out with time not granted and the pitcher delivers the pitch. One on the Pitch anywhere (Location doesn't matter), AND one for stepping out of the box.
Thanks for the clarification. I've never witnessed this. Is it something you rarely see as an umpire?

For my friends who will say I'm crazy can you point me to the rule in the NFHS book? 8 what?

Last edited by Spence; Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 10:32am.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. I've never witnessed this. Is it something you rarely see as an umpire?

For my friends who will say I'm crazy can you point me to the rule in the NFHS book? 8 what?
Misspoke. Its in rule 7.3.1
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It's something that you should never see.

The assumption in rule 6-2-4d and case 6.2.4I is that the batter has delayed the game by stepping out. If the umpire so judges, then, yes, two strikes can be called.

That rule and case weren't changed when the phrase "and delays the game" was added to 7-3-1 PEN. See 7.3.1F for the "right" rule -- "If the umpire felt that the game was delayed, he shall charge a strike to B1. Because of the additional strike which now has been called, the batter is declared out."
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It's something that you should never see.

The assumption in rule 6-2-4d and case 6.2.4I is that the batter has delayed the game by stepping out. If the umpire so judges, then, yes, two strikes can be called.

That rule and case weren't changed when the phrase "and delays the game" was added to 7-3-1 PEN. See 7.3.1F for the "right" rule -- "If the umpire felt that the game was delayed, he shall charge a strike to B1. Because of the additional strike which now has been called, the batter is declared out."
Exactly. Although 6.2.4 I seems to indicate that the penalty strike for stepping out is automatic, it is not, as supported by 7.3.1 D, F, G and H (and perhaps others).
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Exactly. Although 6.2.4 I seems to indicate that the penalty strike for stepping out is automatic, it is not, as supported by 7.3.1 D, F, G and H (and perhaps others).
6.2.4(d) _is a balk for not delivering a pitch.
6.2.4(d)1 is the exception to this balk. If F1 stops or hesitates his delivery this would be a balk if not for B stepping out of the box exception. This penalty is ONLY for causing the absolved balk (he hesitated/not continuous delivery) but he does deliver the delayed/hesitated pitch. One strike for stepping out of the box, one strike for causing an (absolved) balk.

And I agree that this double penalty should be saved for the when you REALLY want to make a point.
Old Thu Mar 14, 2013, 06:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehair View Post
This penalty is ONLY for causing the absolved balk (he hesitated/not continuous delivery) but he does deliver the delayed/hesitated pitch. One strike for stepping out of the box, one strike for causing an (absolved) balk.
I don't think so. One strike is for the pitch (called a strike regardless of location), the other is for violating 7-3-1 (delay of game).
Old Thu Mar 14, 2013, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

The batter needs to step out with BOTH feet in order for the umpire to call an automatic strike (6-2-4-D) If he steps out with one foot or holds up a hand asking for time and delivers a pitch it is a strike. If he steps out with only one foot or holds up his hand asking for time and the pitcher stops, it is a reset and no penalty on either the batter or hitter. Only way to have two strikes called is for the hitter to step out with BOTH feet. page 41 of NFHS rule book
Old Thu Mar 14, 2013, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only a fan View Post
If he steps out with one foot or holds up a hand asking for time and delivers a pitch it is a strike.
I disagree. From the way I read the rule, the batter must step completely out of the batter's box for an automatic strike to be called on the pitch. In your cases above, I'm calling the pitch the way it is.
Old Thu Mar 14, 2013, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

From page 41..."If the pitcher legally delivers the ball, it shall be called a strike and the ball remains live." This is referring to situations A, B, and C. Situation "A" is with runners on base and the batter steps out with one foot and the pitcher legally delivers a pitch to the batter.
Old Thu Mar 14, 2013, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

There is no automatic strike for stepping out with both feet (other than the called strike on a legally delivered pitch). The batter must also delay the game for the penalty strike.
Old Thu Mar 14, 2013, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
I don't think so. One strike is for the pitch (called a strike regardless of location), the other is for violating 7-3-1 (delay of game).
I have one strike for violating 7-3-1. If you have second strike and its not for violating 6-4-1(d) (no balk to absolve), what other rule violation do you have ?