The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 12:55pm
This IS My Social Life

Timeout Request Granted . . . When?

When shall a timeout request be properly granted?
A) After: 1) observing that player control exists and 2) confirming that the head coach is making the request? Or...
B) After: 1) observing that player control exists and 2) confirming that the head coach is making the request and 3) reconfirming that player control still exists?
Sometimes after 1) and 2), the status of the ball quickly changes as a result of a pass, an interrupted dribble, a steal, an attempted goal, etc.
The phrase "such a request being granted only when...the ball is in control...of a player of his/her team" in 5-8-3a seems to lean toward "B". Two weeks ago I recall not granting a timeout until after 3), by which time an out-of-bounds violation occurred, to which the coach remarked, "Thanks, you just cost me a possession!" Yet, I've seen (and have done it myself) a timeout request granted based on the status of the ball when the request was made.
(If there’s an existing thread on this, please point me to it; I'd be happy to review it, but can’t seem to find one.)
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 01:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Request And Grant ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
When shall a timeout request be properly granted?
A) After: 1) observing that player control exists and 2) confirming that the head coach is making the request? Or...
B) After: 1) observing that player control exists and 2) confirming that the head coach is making the request and 3) reconfirming that player control still exists?
Sometimes after 1) and 2), the status of the ball quickly changes as a result of a pass, an interrupted dribble, a steal, an attempted goal, etc.
Freddy: Excellent question, one that I often thought about, but never bothered to ask. I personally lean toward B), however, I look forward to answers from other Forum members.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 01:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Let's look at a couple of other situations:
1. A1 makes a basket, and coach A requests a TO. By the time you realize it was the proper coach, B1 has the ball for a throwin.

I always grant this one.

2. A1 with the ball at the top of the key. A coach requests TO, right before you blow your whistle to grant it, A1 launches and makes a three point shot.

I always grant this, too, and the coach always takes the heat.

3. A1 lying on the floor with the ball. Coach A requests TO. By the time you realize it's the proper coach, B1 gets his hands on the ball for a held ball situation.

I always grant this TO if I can determine the request was made prior to B1 getting his hands on the ball.

The answer is A.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

What Snaq said.......

I think we need to decide if the criteria exists at the time the request is made and go by that.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 02:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sorry Doesn't Quite Cut It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The answer is A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
What Snaq said. I think we need to decide if the criteria exists at the time the request is made and go by that.
You guys sound like you know what you're talking about, but I would hate to blow my whistle to grant a timeout request by Team A when Team B has just made a steal and is about to go in for an uncontested layup. "Sorry Coach, he made the request when his player was in possession.", sounds fine here in the friendly confines of the Official Forum, but in real life, with a real coach, ... ?

I hate this new fangled rule. Let's go back to when only players holding or dribbling a live ball could request a timeout.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 02:39pm
#thereferee99

I'm with Snaq

Coach request while player control exists...
Time stamp it....
Verify what you thought you heard (that in fact it was the correct coach)....
revert to the moment in time.

If something squirrelly happens in the mean time, I will usually offer an addendum, "Time out White, before the pass! White ball endline."
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 02:45pm
#thereferee99

Just had a play...

... 5.0 seconds left. Team A ahead by 2. B1 has one throw and tries to make it but misses. I am Trail, and witness B2 grab rebound in the air and start falling to the floor. Team B coach is in my right ear yelling "Time Out!". Ball comes out of control of B2 as they near the floor, scrum ensues... my brain is clicking and whirring... I think of it as a ball in a Pachinko machine...

Takes half a second, but I grant the time out, reverting to B2 player control and the request by Team B coach.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 02:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fifty Three Days Until Pitchers And Catchers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
Something squirrelly happens.
Has there been a Chuck Elias sighting? I thought he only came out at the beginning of baseball season? Something about seeing his shadow, or something? No, that groundhogs. Never mind.

Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 03:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You guys sound like you know what you're talking about, but I would hate to blow my whistle to grant a timeout request by Team A when Team B has just made a steal and is about to go in for an uncontested layup. "Sorry Coach, he made the request when his player was in possession.", sounds fine here in the friendly confines of the Official Forum, but in real life, with a real coach, ... ?

I hate this new fangled rule. Let's go back to when only players holding or dribbling a live ball could request a timeout.
Billy, it's the same explanation I give to coaches when the scoring team requests a timeout and my whistle's a bit slow. I have given it to a coach after his player stole a ball after a TO request was made. They may not like it, but they've always nodded their head after the explanation. 9 times out of 10, they just want to know that you know what you're doing.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 03:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Can I Come Over And Play With You ???

Quote:
They may not like it, but they've always nodded their head after the explanation. 9 times out of 10, they just want to know that you know what you're doing.
Snaqwells: Man, you get to work with some nice coaches. Are these games played on Earth?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 26, 2009 at 03:13pm.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 05:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Snaqwells: Man, you get to work with some nice coaches. Are these games played on Earth?
I have noticed the coaches here are generally better behaved than other areas I've officiated. Around here, poor behavior gets rewarded with a seat belt, so it's not that surprising. I gave one coach T last year with a 90/10 JV/V schedule. Had him later in the season; he was just as intense but never really crossed the line with the officials.

Seriously, around here, if they think you know what you're doing, they tend to behave themselves.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 06:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Seriously, around here, if they think you know what you're doing.....
You mean if you're giving them all the calls?