The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:47am
Stop staring at me swan.

Last edited by johnnyg08; Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 11:52am.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:51am
Stop staring at me swan.

Right now, I like my "A" answer, but I have to say that I could be convinced to change my mind if we think we have a baseline infraction.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

I'm impressed. There is no way I could post that video on here.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:57am
Stop staring at me swan.

When I watch it again, I think that I can lean toward a possible baseline infraction IF all guidelines are met, which they aren't in the video, but the question creates a hypothetical.

When the fielder extends his arm completely he still missed the runner so much that there's considerable daylight between the end of the fielder's glove and the runner. So I think we can agree that there is a gap that is equal to or greater than three feet.

By the choices given, if we have a baseline violation, a tag is not required so you can't answer "D" if you have a baseline violation.

The only proper answer if you think there is a baseline violation in this instance would be "C"
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Right now, I like my "A" answer, but I have to say that I could be convinced to change my mind if we think we have a baseline infraction.
It would have been a baseline infraction had the fielder held on to the ball. That describes the situation perfectly, which is what the question asks for, and which is why B is also correct. C is a correct statement by itself. A is correct because the fielder didn't hold on to the ball.

Last edited by dash_riprock; Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 12:02pm.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:00pm
Stop staring at me swan.

So the better of the two answers is probably "B" since it relates to the video.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

I can appreciate that argument. B sums up the video better than the other 2 answers. I still think the NCAA is looking for D though.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When the fielder extends his arm completely he still missed the runner so much that there's considerable daylight between the end of the fielder's glove and the runner. So I think we can agree that there is a gap that is equal to or greater than three feet.
Say the fielder catches the ball cleanly... the tag begins after that catch and as soon as he starts moving the glove in the direction of the runner. At that instant, the player has already veered considerably to the left (from the camera's perspective). 3 feet from the fielder is not the standard. 3 feet out of HIS basepath that is established the moment a tag attempt begins.

On that standard, this runner is not even remotely close to being 3 feet out of the basepath.

(Also note - there some codes where the fielder here has obstructed, as the runner had to veer when he didn't have the ball)

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Say the fielder catches the ball cleanly... the tag begins after that catch and as soon as he starts moving the glove in the direction of the runner. At that instant, the player has already veered considerably to the left (from the camera's perspective). 3 feet from the fielder is not the standard. 3 feet out of HIS basepath that is established the moment a tag attempt begins.

On that standard, this runner is not even remotely close to being 3 feet out of the basepath.
The NCAA thinks he is.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
"the runner must be tagged" means "the baseline issue doesn't apply because the fielder doesn't have the ball". imo, all three answers are just different ways of saying the same thing, so D is correct.
Thanks Bob & Dash -- I see what you're saying...in A, it says, "in this situation", -- ths situation where F6 dropped the ball...
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:44pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
It would have been a baseline infraction had the fielder held on to the ball. That describes the situation perfectly, which is what the question asks for, and which is why B is also correct. C is a correct statement by itself. A is correct because the fielder didn't hold on to the ball.
But if you have a baseline infraction, you don't need a tag, so if you have a baseline infraction (B), you can't answer A, b/c a tag isn't necessary, merely a tag attempt is necessary.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:47pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post

(Also note - there some codes where the fielder here has obstructed, as the runner had to veer when he didn't have the ball)
I think the fielder is considered to be in the act of fielding the ball which is why one could eliminate obstruction. I also saw it that way at first that at the time of the invalid tag attempt, R2 had already passed the fielder. But the answer possibilities just don't give us those options.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But if you have a baseline infraction, you don't need a tag, so if you have a baseline infraction (B), you can't answer A, b/c a tag isn't necessary, merely a tag attempt is necessary.
You must consider each answer independently.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:55pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
You must consider each answer independently.
Okay, but if you have a baseline infraction, a tag is not necessary to get an out. I wish is said "tag attempt."
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, but if you have a baseline infraction...
Stop right there. You don't have a baseline infraction in the video because the fielder dropped the ball. There was no tag attempt.