The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   NCAA question (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/93745-ncaa-question.html)

Publius Mon Jan 28, 2013 06:38pm

NCAA question

NCAA test question:

With two outs and the bases loaded, B7 hits a fly ball that is caught by the right fielder. The pitcher, in his excitement, runs toward his team's dugout on the first base side. The pitcher and the batter-runner collide. The batter-runner touches first base before the throw from the right fielder is caught by F3.

Questions that question begets:

Why is the right fielder making a throw to F3? Why is F3 even paying attention to F9 instead of heading to the dugout? Why can't NCAA test writers come up with scenarios that resemble reality when testing its umpires on a rule?

dash_riprock Mon Jan 28, 2013 09:42pm

Perhaps both teams thought there were only 4 outs.

All you need is Harvey Korman saying: "But why am I asking you?"

jicecone Mon Jan 28, 2013 09:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius (Post 875147)
NCAA test question:

With two outs and the bases loaded, B7 hits a fly ball that is caught by the right fielder. The pitcher, in his excitement, runs toward his team's dugout on the first base side. The pitcher and the batter-runner collide. The batter-runner touches first base before the throw from the right fielder is caught by F3.

Questions that question begets:

Why is the right fielder making a throw to F3? Why is F3 even paying attention to F9 instead of heading to the dugout? Why can't NCAA test writers come up with scenarios that resemble reality when testing its umpires on a rule?

Do you actually believe NCAA players are all that smart, not to do something like this. I don't.

bluehair Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:44am

Maybe the question should have been, Do you know the difference between something and nothing?

CT1 Tue Jan 29, 2013 06:45am

A better question would have F9 drop the fly ball, & his throw to F3 beat B1.

johnnyg08 Tue Jan 29, 2013 07:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius (Post 875147)
NCAA test question:

I don't get it. I haven't read through my test yet but this looks more like a statement than a question.

bob jenkins Tue Jan 29, 2013 08:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 875260)
I don't get it. I haven't read through my test yet but this looks more like a statement than a question.

It's a play. there are 4 rulings that follow. Choose the best one.

maven Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 875252)
A better question would have F9 drop the fly ball, & his throw to F3 beat B1.

No doubt that was the original scenario, and then a committee got hold of it. ;)

zm1283 Tue Jan 29, 2013 01:56pm

This question is in the preseason guide they gave out at the NCAA meetings. It is on the Arbiter too. I agree it's not a very good question.

MD Longhorn Tue Jan 29, 2013 02:09pm

What were the 4 options?

zm1283 Tue Jan 29, 2013 03:28pm

The video question with R2 getting picked off at 2nd and getting in a rundown is a real mess. F5 drops the ball while trying to tag R2 who probably doesn't leave the basepath as he avoids the potential tag. I would have nothing, but that isn't really one of the options.

dash_riprock Tue Jan 29, 2013 07:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 875497)
The video question with R2 getting picked off at 2nd and getting in a rundown is a real mess. F5 drops the ball while trying to tag R2 who probably doesn't leave the basepath as he avoids the potential tag. I would have nothing, but that isn't really one of the options.

I thought that one was easy (all of the above was my answer). The runner may have been out of the baseline but the fielder never had possession of the ball.

johnnyg08 Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:29pm

Sorry dash. I hit the wrong button. I didn't change anything in your post.

johnnyg08 Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 875570)
I thought that one was easy (all of the above was my answer). The runner may have been out of the baseline but the fielder never had possession of the ball.

But if there's no ball, you don't have a baseline violation. So that makes "B" incorrect...I think it's b anyway.

This question has some odd choices, so you might be right.

I think "A" is the best answer of the four options.

johnnyg08 Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 875497)

I think if you have "nothing" then IMO, A has to be your choice.

That being said, I'm not claiming to be the expert.