Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Evolutionist or creationist?
Realist!
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well where was it going to spread to? We only had so many states. Slavery was a constant source of consternation among the northern and southern states. It wasn't the reason the first shot was fired to start the Civil War.

Yes I took plenty of history in school, and didn't sleep through it. That's why I know what I'm talking about, and you don't.
Uhhh, I don't know? Those territories in the west that were all about to become states?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yes but there were writings of his that made it clear he did not find Blacks as equals. Which at the end of the day is what racism is when you believe that they are not your equal as a white person.

But honestly who cares, this has nothing to do with the original post.

Peace
You're right, and I didn't mean to imply he thought that blacks were absolute equals.

Quote:
So why the Emancipation Proclamation in 1863 two years after the start of the war?
Mainly because he thought he could hurt the South economically by issuing the proclamation. The E.P. made it clear that abolition was a main goal of the war (So much for the argument about "The Civil War was not about slavery!"). It was issued because he thought it would help to win the war and reunite the country.

I never said Lincoln hated slavery and was an abolitionist, because neither were true. I said that the Civil War started in part because of slavery. The two are different.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 04:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
So what are ya sayin'? Pretty subtle there Kyle!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 06:55pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Uhhh, I don't know? Those territories in the west that were all about to become states?

You're right, and I didn't mean to imply he thought that blacks were absolute equals.

Mainly because he thought he could hurt the South economically by issuing the proclamation. The E.P. made it clear that abolition was a main goal of the war (So much for the argument about "The Civil War was not about slavery!"). It was issued because he thought it would help to win the war and reunite the country.

I never said Lincoln hated slavery and was an abolitionist, because neither were true. I said that the Civil War started in part because of slavery. The two are different.
The beginning of the end of the war was on this date in history, July 3, 1863, with Lee's folly of invading the North in Gettysburg, PA. and he was defeated soundly.

BTW-You're wrong in your assessment. The southern states DIDN"T want a strong central government. The Emancipation Proclamation only made the slaves in the Confederate states free. A lot good that did then.

Last edited by Steven Tyler; Tue Jul 03, 2012 at 07:01pm.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 07:03pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Realist!
God answers all prayers. Sometimes the answer is no. As real as it gets right there.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 09:28pm

Quote:
God answers all prayers. Sometimes the answer is no. As real as it gets right there.
+1.

Anybody shocked?
Old Thu Jul 05, 2012, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

I love how I asked a simple question and got about 1/2 a page of actual answers with 3 1/2 pages of pure Bull$hit! You people are pathetic!
Old Thu Jul 05, 2012, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Well, the very first post in this thread makes reference to ZZ Top. I guess the thread went off the rails right from the start!

In other words, one person's amusing aside is another person's pure Bull$hit.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2012, 12:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
Well, the very first post in this thread makes reference to ZZ Top. I guess the thread went off the rails right from the start!

In other words, one person's amusing aside is another person's pure Bull$hit.
Yeah, Billy, Dusty, and Frank don't umpire baseball last I checked.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2012, 12:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
And a lot of guys we reference do not also umpire either. I have also never seen a ZZ Top look-a-like individual ever umpire a HS game for sure and I would have to think of someone that did a youth game looking like that as well. Usually most would never look that way in most areas or professions. I also do not agree that the conversation is total BS, when you introduce a topic that has many facets to it and usually it is considered an issue of trustworthiness.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 05, 2012, 01:42pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
I love how I asked a simple question and got about 1/2 a page of actual answers with 3 1/2 pages of pure Bull$hit! You people are pathetic!
You get what you give...................
Old Thu Jul 05, 2012, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I ran into those guys and their entourage once in Kansas City. They were at a blues club to hear Charlie Musselwhite. Quite a scene, and their entourage (babes right out of their videos and muscle) did not seem to be as into the music as they did.

They were pretty recognizable. I didn't ask whether they umpire.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2012, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The beginning of the end of the war was on this date in history, July 3, 1863, with Lee's folly of invading the North in Gettysburg, PA. and he was defeated soundly.

BTW-You're wrong in your assessment. The southern states DIDN"T want a strong central government. The Emancipation Proclamation only made the slaves in the Confederate states free. A lot good that did then.
Where did I say that the Confederates wanted a strong central government? I know full well what they wanted.

Whether it actually worked or not, the E.P. was intended to hurt the South's economy by eliminating slave labor. (Which kept it going in the first place) It wouldn't have mattered anyway because the South's economy was already in shambles by 1863. Their money was worthless and Europe didn't need their cotton like they had hoped.
Old Sat Jul 07, 2012, 11:53pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Where did I say that the Confederates wanted a strong central government? I know full well what they wanted.

Whether it actually worked or not, the E.P. was intended to hurt the South's economy by eliminating slave labor. (Which kept it going in the first place) It wouldn't have mattered anyway because the South's economy was already in shambles by 1863. Their money was worthless and Europe didn't need their cotton like they had hoped.
Thanks for the quote from Gone With the Wind.

Sherman's march to the sea, and the Union blockade had more to do with the South's economy than the Emancipation Proclamation. If Lee wins at Gettysburg, the South could have very well won the war. It wasn't like the Civil War was popular in the North to begin with.

We've been in debt since the American Revolution. Give a huge shout out to France and Spain.