The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 15, 2001, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stripes1977
Does anyone else out there see the unwritten rule of "Once an Umpire always an Umpire"? I find that I see guys that have been typecast into that role and don't move up the ladder very much. Is this true or do I have a limited point of view in my youth?
Old Wed Aug 15, 2001, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

I can only speak for my local association. I don't believe that to be true. Most umpires don't have the speed that they perhaps had in their youth. Many have gained a few pounds around the middle. Most younger officials start at LJ, BJ, or LM and move on to U or R later in their careers.

I really don't know what you mean by "move up the ladder." Do you mean from HS ot college or from umpire to referee? I think our umpire is the best in our association. he could becoem a crew chief and referee if he wanted to, but he prefers the position he's in.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Aug 15, 2001, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

That's exactly the feedback I'm looking for...I haven't been able to talk with many U's because I am usually on the wings. I worked a scrimmage last night and it was assumed I am an Umpire b/c I'm 6'3", 250 lbs...I told them I've never worked umpire and the U gave me a smart remark about "no guts, no glory" like I was afraid to work it. I've never done it and don't have much desire to because of people like that. (It was rather humorous that he was taken down on the first play from scrimmage...he was okay, that's why I found it funny. Bad Karma!) Thanks for the feedback, maybe I just need to talk to more U's.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2001, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

I'm about the same size, a little taller, but I work LJ. I'm sure I'll move to the center of the field eventually but I certainly have no desire to do so at this point.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Aug 15, 2001, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

I want to be able to work all positions if for no other reason that to make myself more "marketable" to my assigner, but it takes some time to get to the point where plays happen and you truly "see" everything going on. I've been working Softball, Basketball, and Flag Football for 5 years and with those, I couldn't be more at home on the field/court. So I get frustrated when I do feel a little nervous or uncomfortable with working any position.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2001, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to zebraman55
Umpire position not so glorious!

Stripes:

Have worked umpire for many years, even as a young official starting out on a young crew. Love it! But, I have also worked on a regular basis both wings and the referee spot.

There is no question that the wing position allows you to see more of the play develop, provides a better opportunity to read keys and focus on initial blocks. At umpire, everything happens more quickly! Keys are still very important, and you focus is on the snapper and guards initially, then move to include the tackles. Although there might be less sprinting, there remains plenty of exercise at umpire.

Believe me, getrting knocked down is part of the game, you must know when to move and not to move, read the runners eyes and anticipate which way he may be going. Watch the umpires in the college game of the week. Once they settle on their position prior to the snap, there is very little movement if the play comes at them, And, if it does, the best move is to step towards the runner and then to one side, not backward.

I would advise you to try it sometime! If the opportunity arises in an underclass game, try it. Get the experience! If nothing else, it provides a different view of the game.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2001, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for that info. I'm glad I was mistaken about my perceptions.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes1977
Does anyone else out there see the unwritten rule of "Once an Umpire always an Umpire"? I find that I see guys that have been typecast into that role and don't move up the ladder very much. Is this true or do I have a limited point of view in my youth?
Stripes,

When I moved to GA, and resumed my football officiating, I was asked to work as an umpire. I had a ton of flag football experience, but very little tackle. Umpire seemed like a good place to be, away from the coaches. We were short umpires that year, and then some injuries forced me onto the varsity field for 3 games that year. Two at umpire, one at back judge.

As the years have passed, I have seen less time at umpire and more at the other positions. The initial reason: I wasn't big enough (5'7", 180 at the time) to be an umpire. Translation: We added some pretty big boys to the association. The reason now: Grooming for Referee. They want me to have experience at all positions before I move to Referee at the Varsity level (still 2-3 years away, at least).

I am still considered one of the better umpires in my group, but am now gaining a reputation of being very versatile. Umpire is still my favorite place to work. I enjoy the interaction with the players.

As far as moving up the ladder, I have no aspirations for the college or NFL levels. I love Friday nights, and will work any time, at any position. When it quits being fun, I will quit doing it.

Enough patting my own back. Not all umpires are jerks. Give us a chance!
Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

To U or Not to U

I am 6'0" and weight 240. I am in good health and the doc says I should try to lose about 20 pounds. I am HL on my high school varsity crew. I sometimes go in the middle for F and JV games, or to the other wing, LJ. I like doing all, and the change of pace is good for forcing me to concentrate on the job and not getting too relaxed at any position.

Our association is having trouble developing BJ's. This season we added a 5th man to all F and JV crews to address our need for varsity BJ's. I do think there is a way of getting new guys into a certain position, and they stay there for many seasons. Mixing it up is good for both the individual and the association. Stereotyping guys into postions based on body type is not always good.

Based on my experience at HL, LJ and U, I would say that HL is the most difficult to learn and master. You have many different things to concentrate on during a game, more so than those other two I mentioned, especially during dead ball periods.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Not only is HL hard to learn and master, it is TOO MUCH LIKE WORK! LOL. I did my first HL of the year last Friday night. Did well, but it was a workout. Give me U anytime!
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS

i had worked the traditional way in my 10 years CA. primarily on the flanks, then some at BJ, U & R. the latter at a lower level.

moved to AZ and was invited onto a crew that needed an U. i am 5'11 & 215# and played LB in college so that was quite comfortable for me.

then came to PA where i was invited onto a crew at field judge (6 man crews).

it seems that most U's are placed there because they "look like U's" and many who have not played the game inside are uncomfortable there (go watch a new man work the position).

my experience is that it is one of the most rewarding positions on the field. you are involved in every play, are relyed on by your R to assist him in penalty administration and player control on the field.

don't take an invite to work it as a demotion. watch good umpires work and learn the position. i think you'll very much enjoy it.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

There seems to be a stereotypical view of an umpire as a slightly overweight not so fast big guy.

I agree an umpire should be tall enough to see over the majority of players. But he also needs to be quick and flexible to be truly effective.

An umpire has to be able to move quickly to avoid contact. On pass and kick plays the umpire has move 8 yards forward quickly to be in position to rule on ball or passer crossing the line.

Runnning plays the umpire needs to be able to recognize the point of attack while looking for holding and other line infractions. All at the same time avoiding players coming from anywhere within the 360 degrees surrounding him.

To my way of thinking and Coach Madden agrees the umpire should be the best athlete on the field.

One sad note. The position can be dangerous. We had an older official on our crew a few years ago who was overweight and did not move quickly. He was hit by player and knocked on his hip. Surgery was required for hip replacement. He went into a coma following the surgery and died shortly after.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2001, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to camaulds
I first started Officiating in Louisiana in 1976.

After a few games on the wings the R asked me to move inside...I must have had a rough first half because at half time he got all over me about not moving in when the O showed pass...He must have sensed that I was a little bit timid about moving toward the line...I don't remember the exact words but he told me he was looking for me to come close enough to "stick my nose up their (butts) the next time they show pass."...He warned me he would be watching.

The first play after the 2nd half K/O the O line back peddled showing pass...Like a good student I got my nose as close as I could...The D line penetrated and suddenly the QB dropped a screen pass over the middle...When the O line and RB began to run up field I was the only thing between them and the goal line.

I was trampled...Literally!

The R followed the play as best he could but it's hard to run when you are laughing so hard...He helped me up and said "well, you did what I told you to do...You're gonna be alright"...I wasn't sure if he meant for the rest of the game or as a FB Official.

I have worked Varsity at 4 of the 5 field positions...The only position I have never worked a V game is...You guessed it...Umpire!...I still have those cleat marks on my face, chest and legs...LOL.

Here in Mid Michigan many of the Umpires look like they popped out of the same mold...I am sure my day is coming but to date I can still run and I have the shape to stay on the wings...My favorite position has always been Line Judge which is what I work for V games with my crew and for P/O games...My second favorite would be Referee.

I admire all the guys I know who are good at the Umpire position...It take special skill to stay on your feet there, get a feel for the game, Officiate the point of attack and establish a rapport with the kids...The ones who can master those things are world class Officials in my book.

Just for the record, the U on our crew is as good as they come...He has worked 3 State Finals and numerous Semi's...When it comes to Officiating I can't hold his flag...I am blessed to be able to work such a competent Offical...Our R is like a walking rule book and has a great feel for the game but having such a knowledgable U in the middle really helps the LJ, HL and BJ...It makes it easy to Officiate your area when you have confidence in the other people around you.

One critical thing that makes our U so good is that he absolutely loves his spot...My advice would be to find a U who loves the spot and knows the game...You have to love that spot to be effective.