The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 10:04am
TODO: creative title here

Indicators: are the metal ones better?

I seem to be hard on indicators... I find that the clicking mechanism seems to wear out on me rapidly. I've gone through 2 of them this season so far, over the course of about 40 games.

Not a huge deal, since they only cost a $5-6 apiece, I can afford to replace them often, but I'm wondering if they metal ones will last longer then the plastic ones that I've been buying so far (I haven't yet found a local shop that sells the metal ones, but I can get plastic ones from any number of places).

So, what have your experiences been? Are the metal indicators worth the price?
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Metal or Mental????

Try going without and train your mind to not need one.

Then you can keep the same one in your pocket for years and years.

Then you don't have to look down every pitch and check and change the wheel while everyone is looking at you.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 11:01am

Thank you for that completely unhelpful response.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Thank you for that completely unhelpful response.
That was not an unhelpful response - the Shicker is trying to make you a better umpire because most people use an indicator as a crutch instead of a tool.

Yes, the metal ones are better. Make sure you don[t by one with 3 strikes, 4 balls, 3 outs and innings. You only need 2 strikes, 3 balls and 2 outs so by one of those.

And learn how not to depend on your indicator!
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 11:34am

I don't look at my indicator after every pitch or every play. I used to do so in my early years like I'm sure every other umpire did when starting out, but I've been relying on it less and less.

Right now, I probably look at it about once every other at-bat, or after some unusual action (wild pitch, steal with an errant throw(s), etc). 95% of the time after a 'normal' at-bat, I can reset it to 0-0 and the appropriate number of outs without looking. And yes, I'm working to further reduce the number of times I glance at my indicator.

It's not a crutch, it's a tool. Just like the lineup card is a tool... I hardly think that most umpires would suggest that I memorize the lineup and all of the substitutions/reentries/courtesy runners that take place during some of the games that they work.

For the record, I pretty much stick to the 4-wheel indicators... not because I need the innings portion, but because they feel more comfortable in my hand (and easier to update) then the 3-wheel indicators do.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I seem to be hard on indicators... I find that the clicking mechanism seems to wear out on me rapidly. I've gone through 2 of them this season so far, over the course of about 40 games.

Not a huge deal, since they only cost a $5-6 apiece, I can afford to replace them often, but I'm wondering if they metal ones will last longer then the plastic ones that I've been buying so far (I haven't yet found a local shop that sells the metal ones, but I can get plastic ones from any number of places).

I've had one metal indicator for years. I only bought a new one because the wheels had worn smooth.

Don't worry about the mental superiority complex of the others. For me it is a tool to allow me to focus on other aspects of the game. We all have different gifts of the mind. Some can hold the count in their head. I am not one of those and prefer to keep the count on an indicator.

I have the wheels notched and flattened so that I can read the count with my fingers.

Rita
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

I have a metal indicator that I've used for years. Definitely prefer it over the plastic ones.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

I find the metal indicator is more durable and that it fits more comfortable in my hand because it's thinner. But its plastic wheels will still wear and are susceptible to things that may eat plasitc (like mosquito repellent. Also, the metal surface is reflective, so be aware of the angle to the sun when you glance at it, or you may get blinded for a bit. Come to think of it, that reflectivity may be a good thing because it will help train officials to only glance briefly when they do glance at all.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 01:31pm

I'm old school and still use the 3-wheeled 3-4-3 plastic indicator. (However, I always suggest to newbies they use the 2-3-2 if they ask.) I have a dozen of them and I permanently keep at least one in each ball bag. It's come in handy, at times, if one breaks or my partner needs one. Plus, I keep several in a small pocket in my gear bag.
I, also, use it as a tool and can change it and reset it without looking. I do not buy into the line of thinking that "not using an indicator makes you a better umpire." (Sorry, Ozzy.) I agree that the possibility is there that it could potentially keep your head in the game more if you don't use one, but the more troublesome outcome is you lose the count. I'd rather have the count correct and avoid trouble than attempt to boost my ego by attempting to keep the count in my head.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

I realize this is slightly off topic, but.....

An even worse thing is when base umpires are carrying indicators in state tournament finals and staring at them after every pitch. Saw that one last week.

Some of the same guys had brushes and cleaned off the pitcher's plate and the bases between innings and gave an "out" mechanic for EVERY fly ball caught during the game.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Some of the same guys had brushes and cleaned off the pitcher's plate and the bases between innings and gave an "out" mechanic for EVERY fly ball caught during the game.
This is par for the course in my neck of the woods....sigh
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Get a metal Markwert and never look back. You will pay more than $5-6 but it will be worth it. I ordered online.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
I agree that the possibility is there that it could potentially keep your head in the game more if you don't use one, but the more troublesome outcome is you lose the count. I'd rather have the count correct and avoid trouble than attempt to boost my ego by attempting to keep the count in my head.
Sorry RadioBlue, if you forget the count mentally or forget to move the wheel, either way you have an error. I used to carry one and got so good that I only had to look at it occasionally. A friend of mine challenged me to not use one and I found out I made less errors than using one at all. So I switch about 20 yrs ago.

What works for you and others is totally your business. I am also aware that some Associations and Leagues require it use. Over the years though, I have generally found 3 reasons that some insist on its use.

1. Tradition. (Sometimes called stubbornness to change)
2. Perception. (Some people just can't imagine others having this ability).
3. Inability. (Some people just don't have this ability).

As with so many other officiating qualities, how you get the calls correct is up to you. Just get them correct the best you can.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Get a metal Markwert and never look back. You will pay more than $5-6 but it will be worth it. I ordered online.
It's Markwort. $17 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Markwort-Stain.../dp/B0002U3VQI

The 3 dial is just $6.71

http://www.amazon.com/Markwort-Metal...9199870&sr=1-3
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Oh by the way I still have an old electronic one I used. It would light up as you pushed the button and then it would clear with one push of another button. It was cool and great for night games. Especially when you get around 40 and the eyes start going squiggly-do on you. Hard to see the lights in the daytime though.