The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

You can get one for $11 or $12 if you surf some. Honigs has one for $9, but it is not as smooth as Markort.

I prefer 4 dial. I don't use on bases but always on plate. Each to his own.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Thank you for that completely unhelpful response.
Everyone has their own opinion, take it or leave it. Hickey gave you his opinion, there is no need to flame.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Thank you for that completely unhelpful response.
+1

Not using an indicator doesn't make you a better ump; using an indicator properly can
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

It's too bad some people can't shake the notion that somehow you're a better umpire if you don't use an indicator. That's just plain ridiculous.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

My lovely wife bought me a metal indicator, and had it nicely engraved.

My first game with it was an afternoon affair, and my first glance at it nearly blinded me with the glare. It was completely unusable. It stayed in my bag for a few years, and was "lost" somewhere along the line.

Please don't tell her.

Oh yeah, and it was really heavy.

I try not to work with one, if I have decent scoreboard worker as a backup.

I still use the electronic Honig's, even though the battery drowned in the washing machine years ago. It's got to be ten years old, with hundreds of games on it. Still smooth as glass.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

I use the 4 wheel all metal case all metal gear indicator. All Star brand. It's nice and heavy.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUmp16 View Post
+1

Not using an indicator doesn't make you a better ump; using an indicator properly can
I don't think anyone believes that not using an indicator makes you a better umpire and that was never stated in this thread. An indicator is a tool, used properly it can make doing the job easier. Used improperly, it can cause problems.

I will say this, probably the best game I ever had was one where I forgot my indicator, and didn't realize it until I was about to put the ball in play on the first pitch. I did not once miss a count, where using an indicator that has happened to me on numerous occasions.

For the record, I use a plastic 3-2-2 indicator, big numbers model. Unless I forget it.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 08:32am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout78 View Post
I use the 4 wheel all metal case all metal gear indicator. All Star brand. It's nice and heavy.
Always great to know what inning your in, and that 4 ball, 3 strike wheel lets you know when it's a strikeout or walk. Hell, they even have a 3 out wheel to let you know that's all a team gets an inning.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 09:23am
Is this a legal title?

Keeping the count in your head can cause its own problems. Don't forget to add the pitch to the count when there's a wild pitch with a subsequent play.

R3, two outs, 1-2 count, tie game. F1 throws a 58-footer that bounces away. R3 tries to score, F1 covers. I was so intent on maintaining my ego-fed record of NEVER losing track of the count that on a whacker at the plate, instead of calling "SAFE" or "OUT", from my perfect 3BLX position, I confidently announced "Two balls, two strikes!"
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 11:11am
Archaic Power Monger

I use a metal 4-dial Markwort and I like it. I've had it for years and it is just now at the point where I'm considering replacing it because the wheels don't click as well as they used to. I like the thinner profile and how it fits my hand.

I can work a plate just fine with an indicator. I can go multiple at bats without looking at it but it's a nice safe guard just in case.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

No. 1. "Not using an indicator doesn't make you a better ump; using an indicator properly can "

No. 2. "It's too bad some people can't shake the notion that somehow you're a better umpire if you don't use an indicator. That's just plain ridiculous."

No. 1. PERCEPTION

No. 2. There are probably just as many that believe you can't be a better umpire unless you "DO" use an indicator.

For years, I had to listen to people tell me how using, what used called the "Wrestler type position" at the plate was just wrong. "You need to work more in the slot", "on one knee" "etc". No one uses that position unless they use the Balloon which is archaic. But when some guy name Davis comes up with a variation of that position, then everyone thought it was cool.

Tradition, Perception. Its like wearing a certain color shirt, tucking your jacket in, patent leather accessories, high top plates shoes, white trim on base or plate shoes, plate beanie vs 4 stitch vs 6 stitch hats. When to cover third as a PU. Being in the B or C position etc, etc.

As I have said in so many things including officiating. Quit being narrow-minded and always look for ways to improve your mechanics, presentation and overall ability to do a good job.

Umpires and players come and go, the game always moves on with or without them.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
I have a dozen of them and I permanently keep at least one in each ball bag. It's come in handy, at times, if one breaks or my partner needs one.
So you're (1) giving your base umpire a spare one, and/or (2) wearing a ball bag on the bases.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
You can get one for $11 or $12 if you surf some. Honigs has one for $9, but it is not as smooth as Markort.

I prefer 4 dial. I don't use on bases but always on plate. Each to his own.
It smooths out after a bit. It's as smooth as my Markwort now.

Rita
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
No. 1. "Not using an indicator doesn't make you a better ump; using an indicator properly can "

No. 2. "It's too bad some people can't shake the notion that somehow you're a better umpire if you don't use an indicator. That's just plain ridiculous."

No. 1. PERCEPTION

No. 2. There are probably just as many that believe you can't be a better umpire unless you "DO" use an indicator.

For years, I had to listen to people tell me how using, what used called the "Wrestler type position" at the plate was just wrong. "You need to work more in the slot", "on one knee" "etc". No one uses that position unless they use the Balloon which is archaic. But when some guy name Davis comes up with a variation of that position, then everyone thought it was cool.

Tradition, Perception. Its like wearing a certain color shirt, tucking your jacket in, patent leather accessories, high top plates shoes, white trim on base or plate shoes, plate beanie vs 4 stitch vs 6 stitch hats. When to cover third as a PU. Being in the B or C position etc, etc.

As I have said in so many things including officiating. Quit being narrow-minded and always look for ways to improve your mechanics, presentation and overall ability to do a good job.

Umpires and players come and go, the game always moves on with or without them.
agreed. Calling strikes and outs, that's what makes or breaks the umpire. Not whether he has an indicator or not.

Never had a coach argue a call and bring up whether I had my indicator with me or not >>>> :roll eyes:

Thanks
David
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Perception? Maybe.

I suppose not all umpires who wear their ball bags on the bases are Smitty's, but I would also bet that more Smitty's do so than good umpires.

Likewise, using an indicator on the bases doesn't make one any less an umpire, however...