View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 11:34am
TODO: creative title here

I don't look at my indicator after every pitch or every play. I used to do so in my early years like I'm sure every other umpire did when starting out, but I've been relying on it less and less.

Right now, I probably look at it about once every other at-bat, or after some unusual action (wild pitch, steal with an errant throw(s), etc). 95% of the time after a 'normal' at-bat, I can reset it to 0-0 and the appropriate number of outs without looking. And yes, I'm working to further reduce the number of times I glance at my indicator.

It's not a crutch, it's a tool. Just like the lineup card is a tool... I hardly think that most umpires would suggest that I memorize the lineup and all of the substitutions/reentries/courtesy runners that take place during some of the games that they work.

For the record, I pretty much stick to the 4-wheel indicators... not because I need the innings portion, but because they feel more comfortable in my hand (and easier to update) then the 3-wheel indicators do.