The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 06:23pm

For those of you that use one:

I like the +POS style 3 ball 2 strike 2 out indicator.

Nothin' like talkin' baseball!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

I'm going to get the Honig's with the watch. I do a lot of time limit games.

Currently using Rawlings with 3K, 4ball, 3O, and inning. More than is necessary. The inning portion is nice when considering the mercy rules that are in place. Other wise - it's just extra.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 06:31pm

MIB,

If there is no scoreboard, I usually make a little hash mark down the first base line where I stand between innings. Every other half-inning, I make a new mark. When it totals seven or nine, I figure I'm about done.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Good idea. But I can't remeber to turn the dial half the time. If I had to rely on marks on the field, I'd still be calling that game from June!!!
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 06:46pm

Quote:
Originally posted by etihwsamoht
Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
For those of you that use one:

I like the +POS style 3 ball 2 strike 2 out indicator.

Nothin' like talkin' baseball!
Boring post, who cares about your cup or your indicator.

Post something about rules which all of us agree you know nothing about.

http://www.thundersnake.com/images20...an_cartoon.jpg

Okay thomas, what would you like to discuss? I started this thread because the racial ones kept getting deleted. I think the mods are trying to tell us to stick to baseball. This is a baseball thread, no more boring than all of yours have been.

Why did you reinvent yourself, did you get banned?

[Edited by SanDiegoSteve on Dec 12th, 2005 at 06:49 PM]
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ManInBlue
I looked at that once before. The watch on the indicator kept resetting every 5 minutes.

What you may want to do is buy a cheapo digital watch, cut off the face plate, and glue it to the back of your indicator. It may feel a little more bulky, but it might save you a little money in the long run.

Will
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HeyBlue01
Quote:
I looked at that once before. The watch on the indicator kept resetting every 5 minutes.

What you may want to do is buy a cheapo digital watch, cut off the face plate, and glue it to the back of your indicator. It may feel a little more bulky, but it might save you a little money in the long run.

Will
How about you just drop the watch in your pocket, or strap it to your belt and have it hang under your ball bag. No one needs to go around chopping up watches.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 02:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
Just buy you a a digital watch with stop watch in it if you want to keep exact time. Much easier to keep up with and more handier, too.

Oh yeah, put on your wrist like your suppose to.

[Edited by PWL on Dec 13th, 2005 at 12:30 AM]
Why would you need a stop watch?

Tim.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 02:38am

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
Just buy you a a digital watch with stop watch in it if you want to keep exact time. Much easier to keep up with and more handier, too.

Why would you need a stop watch?

Tim.
In case you're working 2nd base on a televised game in the majors any time soon.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

In MLB they time the between innings interval.

MLBUM

4.1 BETWEEN-INNING TIMINGS
The Crew Chief will designate one umpire on the crew to maintain the stop watch for timings between innings and for pitching changes. Normally, the timing is 2:05 from the last out to the first pitch the next half-inning. For ESPN, FOX Saturday afternoon, and TBS games the timing
is increased to 2:25.

Public address announcers will make the lead-off batter announcement at 1:40 (2:00 for 2:25 breaks), which is the plate umpire's cue to indicate "one more pitch" to the pitcher and prompt the on-deck batter to approach home plate.

The umpire keeping the watch should give the plate umpire a preliminary signal at 1:40 (2:00 for 2:25 breaks) in the event the PA. announcer fails to announce the first batter at the proper time.

Refer to annual Time of Game memos for additional details.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 02:29pm

And the umpire that the Crew Chief designates is the 2nd base umpire.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
Originally posted by HeyBlue01
Quote:

Will
How about you just drop the watch in your pocket, or strap it to your belt and have it hang under your ball bag. No one needs to go around chopping up watches.
I have mine strapped around the temple guard of my face mask. It works great and is still out of the way.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL

put it on your wrist and prepare to hear "you got somewhere to go blue? you keep looking at your watch an awful lot"
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 03:54pm

Quote:
Originally posted by briancurtin
Quote:
Originally posted by PWL

put it on your wrist and prepare to hear "you got somewhere to go blue? you keep looking at your watch an awful lot"
I sure am learning a lot here. Before coming on board here, I had never heard of there being anything wrong with wearing your wristwatch. Many of our umpires wear watches, both on the plate, and on the bases. I have always worn one (but now I won't anymore!.) Nobody has ever said any kind of remark about having somewhere to go, or anything similar (that I'm aware of.) I only use it for when to start the pre-game conference and the game. I don't look at it often, or in an obvious manner as to draw any comments. Maybe I should put it in my pocket, but then if I pulled it out to look at it, I would be calling attention to it.

Is there any rule against wearing a watch? Is it some kind of secret "unwritten" rule of which I wasn't informed? I've never seen anything in print about an umpire wearing a watch. The NFHS rule concerning jewelry is for the players, not the officials.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Is there any rule against wearing a watch? Is it some kind of secret "unwritten" rule of which I wasn't informed? I've never seen anything in print about an umpire wearing a watch. The NFHS rule concerning jewelry is for the players, not the officials.
i dont know/work FED rules, specifically anything about umpires wearing watches, but ive just been told and have read not to do it. its another thing to to break when working the plate. some also see it as wrong to wear, as an umpire is here from start to finish and to refer to a time piece during the game can give the impression that he is speeding the game up and such.

those may be old guidelines and people might not care if you have one, but i just dont wear a watch because it leaves another door open for coaches/rats. they will end up complaining during those long games if they catch you glancing at your watch.

well, i also like my watch a lot and would hate to have it take a shot behind the dish. ill take a cup shot over a watch shot any day.