The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

If you are going to shell out for a metal one, dont settle for metal case plastic wheels. Get the stainless one with stainless notched wheels. I think I got my from Between the Lines. I agree with all comments about it not being a crutch but since I work many games with lackadaisical scoreboard operators and even poor bookeepers... Lets just say we would have played the sixth inning twice in a game this year if I had not noticed and yes even I had to look. The notches let me confirm the count by feel. To me its just another tool.
Old Sun Jun 10, 2012, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Perception? Maybe.

I suppose not all umpires who wear their ball bags on the bases are Smitty's, but I would also bet that more Smitty's do so than good umpires.

Likewise, using an indicator on the bases doesn't make one any less an umpire, however...
Exactly my point.
Old Sun Jun 10, 2012, 01:22am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggravy View Post
If you are going to shell out for a metal one, dont settle for metal case plastic wheels. Get the stainless one with stainless notched wheels. I think I got my from Between the Lines. I agree with all comments about it not being a crutch but since I work many games with lackadaisical scoreboard operators and even poor bookeepers... Lets just say we would have played the sixth inning twice in a game this year if I had not noticed and yes even I had to look. The notches let me confirm the count by feel. To me its just another tool.
I've never used notches. I can work it just fine without them. I'd rather take a quick glance down, than feel for the count.

Love the big 3-2-2. I can see it at night without having to hold the old four hole at arms length, and maybe be able to read it. I have on occasion had to have the coach read some names off the line-up, my reading eyesight has gotten so bad recently.
Old Sun Jun 10, 2012, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Just to throw some more fat on the fire - with nice clear HD close ups, you will notice that the most MLB guys, even with huge electronic scoreboards all around them, still use indicators on the plate...have seen metal and plastic used, so that doesn't help the original question though...

personally, I use the metal 3-2-2 with no innings for softball, where we hardly ever have scoreboards...

Last edited by ASA/NYSSOBLUE; Sun Jun 10, 2012 at 06:36am. Reason: minor
Old Sun Jun 10, 2012, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
Just to throw some more fat on the fire - with nice clear HD close ups, you will notice that the most MLB guys, even with huge electronic scoreboards all around them, still use indicators on the plate...have seen metal and plastic used, so that doesn't help the original question though...

personally, I use the metal 3-2-2 with no innings for softball, where we hardly ever have scoreboards...
From the way some of these guys jumped on the thread starter, I guess those MLB Umpires are the weaker ones....SMH
Old Sun Jun 10, 2012, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post

PBUC MANUAL pg 5

It is mandatory to use.
Old Sun Jun 10, 2012, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

You know:

No one ever said that using an indicator makes you a poor umpire (at least neither I nor Shicker did). I don't know where you people got that idea from. When I said Shicker was trying to make the poster better, I stated the use of the indicator as a tool, not a crutch (as many of you out there do - don't lie, now).

By the way, my association requires that two umpires use indicators at all times (the PU being one) in 2, 3 & 4 man crews. So the way you people are talking, we are all lousy umpires! Maybe ya'll should read and comprehend before you lash out with your diarrhea!

Done
Old Sun Jun 10, 2012, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Hey now Ozzie, leave my bowels out of this!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun Jun 10, 2012, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
PBUC MANUAL pg 5

It is mandatory to use.
Plate umpire only, I believe.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2012, 08:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Sorry RadioBlue, if you forget the count mentally or forget to move the wheel, either way you have an error. I used to carry one and got so good that I only had to look at it occasionally. A friend of mine challenged me to not use one and I found out I made less errors than using one at all. So I switch about 20 yrs ago.

What works for you and others is totally your business. I am also aware that some Associations and Leagues require it use. Over the years though, I have generally found 3 reasons that some insist on its use.

1. Tradition. (Sometimes called stubbornness to change)
2. Perception. (Some people just can't imagine others having this ability).
3. Inability. (Some people just don't have this ability).

As with so many other officiating qualities, how you get the calls correct is up to you. Just get them correct the best you can.
J: Good points. If you use your brain or an indicator as your tool to keep track of the count and you use either improperly, you're in trouble. I have no issue with umpires who are able not using an indicator. I've just seen some who don't use them give other who do crap for doing so. I don't think that's very productive and could put an umpire in a bad spot trying to "impress" or "look cool." "To each their own" is fine by me, but some guys need to lay off those who use them. There is the belief among some who think those who use indicators are somehow inferior.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2012, 08:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
So you're (1) giving your base umpire a spare one, and/or (2) wearing a ball bag on the bases.
C'mon, Andrew! I'm not wearing a ball bag on the bases ... I'm wearing TWO!

(My last name is Smith. Does that make me a Smitty?)
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post

I have the wheels notched and flattened so that I can read the count with my fingers.

Rita
I am fascinated by your idea and would like to subscribe to your newsletter!

Now, where's my dremel tool?
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamp View Post
I am fascinated by your idea and would like to subscribe to your newsletter!

Now, where's my dremel tool?
Excuse me? What?
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Funny thing and maybe its just me, but the heavier weight of the metal indicators causes me to drop them accidentally more often than the plastic kind. I like their feel much better, but I definitely have to keep a better grip on them.