The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Hardly. I've seen enough to know to know that this happens...frequently. To coaches it's part of the game. None the less, it's indicative of the way Rats think....appeal something that did not happen and let's see if we can get away with something.

It's no coincidence that it was posted by a coach.
Get in tune with how the game is played. You'll sleep better.
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Wow another quip. As i said, I am "in tune" with how you and other rats play the game. I've seen it and your like for years. I will continue to see it and lose no sleep over it.

That doesn't make it any less rat like.
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Originally Posted by Rich Ives

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Wow another quip. As i said, I am "in tune" with how you and other rats play the game. I've seen it and your like for years. I will continue to see it and lose no sleep over it.

That doesn't make it any less rat like.
+1

A little ridicoulous for a LL coach to tell MrUmpire to get in touch with the game. The game changes significantly with shaving age players. A coach who appeals things that don't happen all day long will not be around very long in my game.

I know Rich knows the rule book very well, but he is definitely acting like a RAT in this situation.
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 12:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

They can appeal all they like. I can signal "safe" all day long, too. Of course, once the coach decides to come out and argue after the fifth "safe," it's not going to take more than a few steps for him to get chunked.
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't there a LL board somewhere?
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 01:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
Isn't there a LL board somewhere?
He's just as welcome here as anyone else. Do we have minimum membership requirements?
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
He's just as welcome here as anyone else. Do we have minimum membership requirements?
Computer and internet access. Prefer that the poster can type plain English but if the content is intriguing enough we'll make some exceptions.

I've found a couple rats by watching the touch at home out of the corner of my eye while facing (head and body) towards the field. (Only really works well with sunglasses. If the defense coach starts shouting from the dugout I know I've got a winner. When it's an assistant coach making the comment it's also a warning. Makes for a peaceful, friendly ball game after that.
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Lot of input guys, I like that. I did fail to mention that both runners were guilty of leaving early. The center fielder had a long run and dove for ball, both took off before base ump gave call because fielder rolled over then came up showing ball in glove. Dase ump was in perfect position looking right thru 2nd at catch and runner. I was on plate and came up the line on fouls side and had good angle of 3rd baserunner and base ump . I honestly thought they were coming to 3rd for appeal and was kind of amused that they went 2nd instead.

Runner definitly crossed the plate because they took forever to tell the pitcher how to appeal, that was a bit hilarious but he got it done. Sometimes coaches forget the little things, eh.
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 03:54pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ump View Post
I did fail to mention that both runners were guilty of leaving early. The center fielder had a long run and dove for ball, both took off before base ump gave call because fielder rolled over then came up showing ball in glove.
You do know the runners can tag, and run when the CF first touches the ball. The time of the call has nothing to do with the runners leaving early.
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Yes I know that.........after 30 years some things stick in the memory bank
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
Look, I have been a member of this board for over 11 years. I have always respected Mr. Ives' opinion. But when I hear "get in tune with how the game is played", or "you need to watch more games" to an official, he has chosen a side. This is an officials board last time I checked. Well at least that's what I signed up for. If I wanted a coaches forum, I would find one. So if Mr. Ives is going to be here, he should show some respect. We all know the game, some more than others, but that's why we're here, to learn.

I am sure in LL, Mr. Ives is GOD, or so it seems, but this is big boy baseball!

Sorry, but some of the things I have heard lately is ridiculous!

I don't feel Mr. Ives is a rat, but with some of the posts lately, I'm not sure. Winning at any cost comes to mind. Is that what LL is really about?
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 08:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ump View Post
Lot of input guys, I like that. I did fail to mention that both runners were guilty of leaving early. The center fielder had a long run and dove for ball, both took off before base ump gave call because fielder rolled over then came up showing ball in glove. Dase ump was in perfect position looking right thru 2nd at catch and runner. I was on plate and came up the line on fouls side and had good angle of 3rd baserunner and base ump . I honestly thought they were coming to 3rd for appeal and was kind of amused that they went 2nd instead.

Runner definitly crossed the plate because they took forever to tell the pitcher how to appeal, that was a bit hilarious but he got it done. Sometimes coaches forget the little things, eh.
I am going to side with Steven Tyler on this one. (my shocked face)

You stated that you had a good angle of R3 and the base umpire. Q: Why would you be watching the base umpire? Wouldn't you line yourself up to see R3 and the touch of the ball F8? Could you please clear this up for us. Thanks.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Thu May 24, 2012 at 08:22pm.
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 09:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
Look, I have been a member of this board for over 11 years. I have always respected Mr. Ives' opinion. But when I hear "get in tune with how the game is played", or "you need to watch more games" to an official, he has chosen a side. This is an officials board last time I checked. Well at least that's what I signed up for. If I wanted a coaches forum, I would find one. So if Mr. Ives is going to be here, he should show some respect. We all know the game, some more than others, but that's why we're here, to learn.

I am sure in LL, Mr. Ives is GOD, or so it seems, but this is big boy baseball!

Sorry, but some of the things I have heard lately is ridiculous!

I don't feel Mr. Ives is a rat, but with some of the posts lately, I'm not sure. Winning at any cost comes to mind. Is that what LL is really about?
It may not seem so, but I've been here since 2000. I'm not a fan of Rich's posts when he acts like umpires are a necessary evil, but there's no reason we need to stoop to his level, either.

I have worked a lot of Little League as well as a lot of HS and college baseball. There's no need to disparage any particular level.
Old Fri May 25, 2012, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I am going to side with Steven Tyler on this one. (my shocked face)

You stated that you had a good angle of R3 and the base umpire. Q: Why would you be watching the base umpire? Wouldn't you line yourself up to see R3 and the touch of the ball F8? Could you please clear this up for us. Thanks.
The signs!

1. Many false prophets.
2. Wars and rumors of wars.
3. SDS agrees with Aerosmith on something.

It's the apocalypse, people!!!!

West Houston Mike
Old Sat May 26, 2012, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah Steve I had a good look at the tag and across the peripheral vision of the base ump in "c" and the fielder 8 who was very close to the dirt, why 2b did not go after ball do not know but CF came charging amd made the play.....guys do we debate baseball or what....some seem to be going after each other, in fun I hope.