The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 05, 2012, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
In regards to the OP, if the obstruction occurred after R2 was put out then you don't have obstruction, right? BUT, this would have been Type A (OBR) had you ruled the runner, absent the obstruction, could have beat the throw to the bag on the force out. So, you have to 'umpire' in this case, and use your best judgement based on the situation.

In type B (OBR only!) you have the option to penalize as to nullify the act of obstruction, again, having to 'umpire' and award or NOT award based on that. In FED, you have no option, you penalize at least one base.

So, I would put it 'that way' for Type B obstruction for the OBR rule set only.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat May 05, 2012, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
In regards to the OP, if the obstruction occurred after R2 was put out then you don't have obstruction, right? BUT, this would have been Type A (OBR) had you ruled the runner, absent the obstruction, could have beat the throw to the bag on the force out. So, you have to 'umpire' in this case, and use your best judgement based on the situation.

In type B (OBR only!) you have the option to penalize as to nullify the act of obstruction, again, having to 'umpire' and award or NOT award based on that. In FED, you have no option, you penalize at least one base.

So, I would put it 'that way' for Type B obstruction for the OBR rule set only.
NO!

If you rule obstruction he gets the base. No woulda-shoulda on type A.
Old Sat May 05, 2012, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
If you're talking to me, my point is that it's impossible to hinder a retired runner.
The play was being made on a runner who was obstructed. Basic type a definition is it not?
Old Sat May 05, 2012, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Rich, my point was/is. If you rule obstruction on this play, it is Type A, and you would award R2 third. There is no 'shoulda/woulda' on Type A. Dead ball, award a base. The judgement factor is WHEN did THIS obstruction occur? Before/simultaneously or after the out?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat May 05, 2012, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

And if it happens at the same time, tie goes to the runner!
Old Sat May 05, 2012, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
The play was being made on a runner who was obstructed. Basic type a definition is it not?
Not if he's a retired runner at the time of the hindrance. If the runner bumps into F5 5 seconds after the ball has been thrown back to F1, are you still asking for obstruction, coach?

Of course, the hindrance might have happened first: all I'm saying is that the umpire has a judgment to make about which happened first.
Old Sat May 05, 2012, 08:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
And if it happens at the same time, tie goes to the runner!
I was waiting for this one! Good one!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon May 07, 2012, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

So ... you incorrectly rule Type B and say the runner wouldn't have made 3rd. OK. Then you want to put R2 back on 2nd. With R1? Interesting. I guess the next pitch begins with R1, R2a and R2b...

West Houston Mike
Old Mon May 07, 2012, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
Rich, my point was/is. If you rule obstruction on this play, it is Type A, and you would award R2 third. There is no 'shoulda/woulda' on Type A. Dead ball, award a base. The judgement factor is WHEN did THIS obstruction occur? Before/simultaneously or after the out?
But your previous post implies something quite different than that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
The bolded part implies that the judgement is whether or not the runner would have beaten the play had there been no obstruction. (You may not have intended that, but that's how it reads.)
Old Mon May 07, 2012, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Please feel free to disregard the original post.

Thank You.

-----------------------
Old Mon May 07, 2012, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nope, coach:

The out was recorded/ play was made on a runner who LATER was "obstructed" separately from the play/ out.

There is no rule penalizing the hinderance of a RETIRED runner who continues to run the bases, and in fact, NOTHING the defense does AFTER Rx is out can make him "UNout" or entitle him to any base award.
Old Mon May 07, 2012, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Carter, the OP says the OBS happened at the "very same moment" that the out was recorded. As usual, we have to judge which happened first. It might well be the OBS, in which case, I'm sure both of us would enforce the penalty.

But you're restating my point regarding the other possibility: it's impossible to obstruct a retired runner.
Old Mon May 07, 2012, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfoulds View Post
Nope, coach:

The out was recorded/ play was made on a runner who LATER was "obstructed" separately from the play/ out.

There is no rule penalizing the hinderance of a RETIRED runner who continues to run the bases, and in fact, NOTHING the defense does AFTER Rx is out can make him "UNout" or entitle him to any base award.
It wasn't "later". Read the OP.

" . . F5 fields the ball and steps on 3rd for the force out, BUT at the very same moment, F6 ran into R2 . . "

I understand your point. I don't think you understand mine. There was a play being made on the runner that was obstructed.

Last edited by Rich Ives; Mon May 07, 2012 at 10:29pm.
Old Tue May 08, 2012, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It wasn't "later". Read the OP.

" . . F5 fields the ball and steps on 3rd for the force out, BUT at the very same moment, F6 ran into R2 . . "

I understand your point. I don't think you understand mine. There was a play being made on the runner that was obstructed.
I understand your point [as does mbyron]; I KNOW you don't understand ours [well, ok, mine, so's I don't tar mb w/ my brush] - there ARE NO TIES IN BASEBALL - at least not when I'm explaining a call to Skippy. One thing ALWAYS happens before OR after another, NEVER "at the same instant".

If I called your "obstructed" runner out on the force, then the out happened BEFORE the obstruction, and "obstruction" on a retired runner is a nullity.

If I have Obstruction on the runner which happens BEFORE the force out is made, then - yep, Type A, enforce the penalty, ball is dead at the instant of the obstruction, the out never happend, award the base.

We are never going to have a useful discussion about what to do if the out and the obstruction "happen at the same instant", because, in Baseball, that is impossible.