The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 28, 2012, 07:28pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Trust me sonny, I would get the dollars, and you'd be eating the donuts. I am very sharp, both in appearance and mechanics. I am a highly respected umpire in my current association, as I was in my former.

Do you not see how your posts are insulting from the very start? Pretty easy to get defensive when you constantly start the arguments.
I doubt you're as respected as you claim. I've got the 411 from an associate of mine on you from your former association, the prestigious SDCBUA, so don't even try to go there.

As for the defensive part, how many posters on this forum have you invited out to your neck of the woods at their own expense so you could kick their hind ends back to where they came from. At least you could offer them cab fare from the airport. Besides, I've seen you laughed off this board at least a couple of times.

Like I said before, debate, don't debase. Jesus A Christ, it's just a freakin' chat room.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2012, 07:39pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
All pro umpires are taught to move from C to B on the front end of a double play. If you can't make it, pro baseball does not have a job for you. I am able to get from C to B, make my mental decision, make the call as I drop step creating my angle at first, come set and make the call at first. Umpires that are unable to move on the diamond kill grass and drive me batty.
I'm guessing you're not in pro baseball then. A bit more goes into it than that what you mentioned Generally, I'm over toward 3B more in C. I know quite well how to step and drift on a batted ball to the left side of the infield. One size doesn't always fit all. I've never had any complaints about killing grass.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2012, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is a great explanation from Richard Seigel on another forum that explains this in great detail, and is the way I do it as well from B, in order to get the best angle.

You're at B. You read that R1 is stealing. Stand up and "open the gate," IOW, pivot on your LF and stand with your shoulders in a parrallel line with a line from HP to 2B. Keep your eye on the ball at all times right now. If you can see the ball it won't hit you because you can move out of the way of the throw if the ball is thrown at you. As F2 begins to throw use cross steps and begin moving back toward 2B base. Keep your eye on the ball! Yes, you're looking back at HP while walking toward 2B. It takes some practice. As the throw is airbourne track the trajectory of the thow. If it is coming at you get out of the way! If it is a good throw that is going to the base, as the ball reaches the spot on the field where you are, IOW, its even with your position, turn your body as the ball passes turn your attention to the flieder's glove of the guy covering at the bag and wait for the ball to show up. You can't keep your eye on the ball the whole way from F2 to 2B because you'll lose sight of it as it whizzes by you. As you are moving back towards the base, walk, don't run. You might get your legs cross-crossed and trip over your own feet. (That won't look professional.) And you don't want to end up too close to the base right on top of the play. If you get too close the play will explode on you. The idea place to be is right on the edge of the grass cut-out by 2B, about 10-12 feet from the play.

Reference: Richard Seigel, ABUA forum, Mechanics section.
Thanks for all that Steve, but I should have been clearer and said "for a pick-off".

But I definately didn't ask how to follow the ball from the catcher on a steal
Old Sat Apr 28, 2012, 08:47pm

Quote:
All pro umpires are taught to move from C to B on the front end of a double play. If you can't make it, pro baseball does not have a job for you. I am able to get from C to B, make my mental decision, make the call as I drop step creating my angle at first, come set and make the call at first. Umpires that are unable to move on the diamond kill grass and drive me batty.
Thank you! And all God's people said Amen and Amen.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Apr 28, 2012, 08:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
I doubt you're as respected as you claim. I've got the 411 from an associate of mine on you from your former association, the prestigious SDCBUA, so don't even try to go there.

As for the defensive part, how many posters on this forum have you invited out to your neck of the woods at their own expense so you could kick their hind ends back to where they came from. At least you could offer them cab fare from the airport. Besides, I've seen you laughed off this board at least a couple of times.

Like I said before, debate, don't debase. Jesus A Christ, it's just a freakin' chat room.
Stop blaspheming and I invite you (you are the only one I've invited, BTW, so the answer is ONE), and I'll pay your cab fare. You are laughed off this board on a daily basis. You always have something insulting to say, and is why you are the undisputed leader on ignore lists on this site. And whoever you know from my old association doesn't know jacksh!t. You just don't see how you are the debaser in every single instance on this board. You have not changed since day 1. How many times do you have to get banned before you are stopped?
Old Sat Apr 28, 2012, 10:41pm
In Time Out

W t f?

Quote:
Stop blaspheming and I invite you (you are the only one I've invited, BTW, so the answer is ONE#, and I'll pay your cab fare. You are laughed off this board on a daily basis. You always have something insulting to say, and is why you are the undisputed leader on ignore lists on this site. And whoever you know from my old association doesn't know jacksh!t. You just don't see how you are the debaser in every single instance on this board. You have not changed since day 1. How many times do you have to get banned before you are stopped?
No comment. (I'm laughing too hard to think of one)

Please try to stay on topic.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 01:13am
In Time Out

Quote:
Thank you! And all God's people said Amen and Amen.
Steve,

He said pro umpires. It's easy to get from C to B with the slow motion scenarios they do at camps, and especially clinics.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2012, 11:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Steve,

He said pro umpires. It's easy to get from C to B with the slow motion scenarios they do at camps, and especially clinics.
Well, he has the right mechanic, and it is the same one that I was feebly attempting to describe. It is the one taught by the pros for everyone to use. It is easy to do in real time (unless you are slow), with real ball players. In our clinics, we don't slow down the action or create artificial situations.
Old Fri May 04, 2012, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Pre-pitch positioning is based on the likelyhood of a particular play on a non-batted ball. That being said, with R3, R2R3 or bases loaded, the most likely play happening under that senario is a back pick from F2 to F5 on R3. Once the ball is batted, the umpire is responsible for being in proper position for any subsequant plays. The reason many "old timers" don't like this is because they can't move their *** when required.
Great explanation, and thank you.

The rest is typical baseball board banter that I remember fondly Doesn't look like much has changed since I left. haha