The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 26, 2004, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS please

I have been taught over the years that if the ball goes OOB in the backcourt (ball is heading down into a new frontcourt) that the (new)Trail will administer the ball, no matter where the throw-in will occur (he may have too cross over).
And, if the ball goes OOB above the free throw line extended in the frontcourt (it is staying in the frontcourt) that whoever has that line will administer the ball. The Trail does NOT cross over in the frontcourt, but instead, the Lead will slide up on his sideline (becoming the new Trail), and the Trail will slide down his sideline and become the new Lead.

Has this changed? Does the Trail now cross over to administer the ball high (above the free throw line extended)?

Also, is the entire sideline on Lead's side still his responsibility for OOB tip-outs, etc? Or, is the Trail now responsible for the opposite sideline above the free-throw line ext. (Lead's side)?
Old Sun Dec 26, 2004, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
NFHS please

I have been taught over the years that if the ball goes OOB in the backcourt (ball is heading down into a new frontcourt) that the (new)Trail will administer the ball, no matter where the throw-in will occur (he may have too cross over).
And, if the ball goes OOB above the free throw line extended in the frontcourt (it is staying in the frontcourt) that whoever has that line will administer the ball. The Trail does NOT cross over in the frontcourt, but instead, the Lead will slide up on his sideline (becoming the new Trail), and the Trail will slide down his sideline and become the new Lead.

Has this changed? Does the Trail now cross over to administer the ball high (above the free throw line extended)?

Also, is the entire sideline on Lead's side still his responsibility for OOB tip-outs, etc? Or, is the Trail now responsible for the opposite sideline above the free-throw line ext. (Lead's side)?
As you have written it is correct. The "new trail" administers all throw-ins in B/C.

By the book, the lead "stays with his/her line" and will force a switch when the ball goes out of bounds above the free throw line on the lead's sideline. I prefer to do it that way. If I have a referee who prefers to cross over and take that throw-in, I will do it that way. At the state tournament, I do it by the book no matter what.

The lead has the entire sideline. Hopefully the trail will give help on a tip-out that the lead didn't see. (pregame, pregame, pregame!)

Z
Old Sun Dec 26, 2004, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
The standard FED mechanics are as you ahve written -- it's the L's sideline and the L administers all the throw-ins there (even though teh L might become the T to do so).

Some, notably RefMag, recommend or suggest (I forget which word they used) that the T take the sideline above the FT line -- since the T is watching there, and the L isn't (or shouldn't), and the T will be well out on the court when the ball is near the far sideline, above the FT line.