The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 19, 2012, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 45
sleeves

What is the correct interpretation about sleeve length. Can a pitcher have one long sleeve and none of other arm?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 19, 2012, 10:06pm
In Time Out
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Internationally - Where There Is A Game to Call!
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma official View Post
What is the correct interpretation about sleeve length. Can a pitcher have one long sleeve and none of other arm?
Which ruleset, Sir?
__________________
Trained by the best! Haven't missed one yet! As good as any, better than the rest!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 19, 2012, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,716
Rule 1-4- 2 Uniforms for all team have to be approx. the same length.

Some pitching restrictions with white exposed apply. Read the rule.

The answer to your question is no.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 19, 2012, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Rule 1-4- 2 Uniforms for all team have to be approx. the same length.

Some pitching restrictions with white exposed apply. Read the rule.

The answer to your question is no.
However, if FED, one compression sleeve on the pitching arm that is not white or gray is allowed.

Last edited by umpjim; Thu Apr 19, 2012 at 10:18pm.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Apr 20, 2012, 08:49am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 45
sleeves

So, by federation rules, a pitcher can have one long sleeve and no sleeve on the other arm if it is a compression sleeve. I disagree and believe the first response is the correct one unless proven wrong by rule.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Apr 20, 2012, 09:09am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,716
Your original question said nothing about compression sleeves!

I don't have the book with me right now but as originally stated there are exceptions and clarifications and I don't know if umpjim is right or wrong right now, but I encourage you to read the rule.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Apr 20, 2012, 09:20am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma official View Post
So, by federation rules, a pitcher can have one long sleeve and no sleeve on the other arm if it is a compression sleeve. I disagree and believe the first response is the correct one unless proven wrong by rule.
No - the uniform and undershirt sleeves have to be approxamately the same length.

A compression sleeve (fashion statement) isn't part of the uniform and is governed separately.
__________________
Rich Ives
Different does not equate to wrong
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Apr 20, 2012, 09:36am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma official View Post
What is the correct interpretation about sleeve length. Can a pitcher have one long sleeve and none of other arm?
Rule 1-4-2

ART. 2 . . . For individual players, uniform sleeve lengths may vary. However, sleeves of each individual player shall be approximately the same length and shall not be ragged, frayed or slit. If the pitcher's undershirt sleeves are exposed, they shall not be white or gray. A pitcher shall not wear any item on his hands, wrists or arms which may be distracting to the batter. A pitcher shall not wear white or gray exposed undershirt sleeves or any white or gray sleeve that extends below the elbow. A vest and coordinating shirt that is worn underneath is viewed as a type of uniform top
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Apr 20, 2012, 10:14am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: NeverNeverLand
Posts: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
However, if FED, one compression sleeve on the pitching arm that is not white or gray is allowed.
Does it have to be the pitching arm? I would think not.

Not only pitchers wear them.
__________________
"A picture is worth a thousand words".

Last edited by thumpferee; Fri Apr 20, 2012 at 10:16am. Reason: To add..Not
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Apr 20, 2012, 10:35am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma official View Post
So, by federation rules, a pitcher can have one long sleeve and no sleeve on the other arm if it is a compression sleeve. I disagree and believe the first response is the correct one unless proven wrong by rule.
A compression sleeve separate from the uniform is legal in FED.

In NCAA, the compression sleeve must be covered with an undershirt.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Apr 20, 2012, 12:11pm
Moderator M-800
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 8,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma official View Post
So, by federation rules, a pitcher can have one long sleeve and no sleeve on the other arm if it is a compression sleeve. I disagree and believe the first response is the correct one unless proven wrong by rule.
You disagree based on what rule?
__________________
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, 'I drank what?'

West Houston Mike
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Apr 20, 2012, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF View Post
Rule 1-4-2

ART. 2 . . . For individual players, uniform sleeve lengths may vary. However, sleeves of each individual player shall be approximately the same length and shall not be ragged, frayed or slit. If the pitcher's undershirt sleeves are exposed, they shall not be white or gray. A pitcher shall not wear any item on his hands, wrists or arms which may be distracting to the batter. A pitcher shall not wear white or gray exposed undershirt sleeves or any white or gray sleeve that extends below the elbow. A vest and coordinating shirt that is worn underneath is viewed as a type of uniform top
Well at least we got someone to read the book.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Fri Apr 20, 2012, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Well at least we got someone to read the book.
The book doesn't exactly make it clear but FED did in a rules interp (Sit. 4):

2009 NFHS Baseball Rules Interpretations


SITUATION 4: The pitcher is wearing a white compression type-sleeve on his pitching arm. The opposing coach states that he cannot wear it and, therefore, must remove it. RULING: A compression or medical-type sleeve may be worn by any player, including the pitcher. If it is white and worn on the pitching arm, it cannot extend below the elbow. (1-4-2)
SITUATION 5: The pitcher is wearing a white compression sleeve on his pitching arm that extends below the elbow. RULING: This is not allowed. While a pitcher may wear a compression sleeve, if it is white and worn on his pitching arm, it may not extend below his elbow. A compression sleeve of any length that is neither white nor gray, or deemed to be distracting, may be worn by the pitcher on either arm. (1-4-2)

SITUATION 6: The pitcher is wearing (a) a white compression sleeve that extends from his bicep to his wrist on his non-throwing arm or (b) a compression sleeve that has a light-blue spider-web design. RULING: In (a), provided this is not deemed to be distracting, it is allowed. In (b), provided it is not distracting, it may be worn on either arm. (1-4-2)

Thanks to Steve the Ump:

http://http://www.stevetheump.com/NFHS_rules.htm#2008_revisions

Last edited by umpjim; Fri Apr 20, 2012 at 05:34pm.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sleeves on elbows & med alert bracelets j2u4now Basketball 15 Mon Dec 07, 2009 01:58pm
Sleeves Johnny Ringo Basketball 2 Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:45am
Shooting sleeves todd66 Basketball 19 Wed Aug 27, 2008 05:45am
Home Plate ump forget his long sleeves? johnnyg08 Baseball 30 Fri May 09, 2008 08:54am
Under Armour Bands and Sleeves Uh fishy 8 Football 8 Wed Sep 07, 2005 02:59pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1