The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 74
Shooting sleeves

Has anyone seen or heard the rule interpretation regarding these? I know the NFHS have ruled them illiegal for cross-country. Maybe this has alreday been addressed and I missed it. If so, I apologize for the duplication.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,612
Is it for a medical purpose? If not, it has to go.
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 74
That is what I thought. I was just thinking about all the little wannabes that will be wearing them this year after seeing them in the Olympics. Therefore, if you have a doctor's note then ok, otherwise leave it in the locker room, correct?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 01:26pm
Ch1town
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd66
Therefore, if you have a doctor's note then ok, otherwise leave it in the locker room, correct?
It may vary so check with your association... 'round here we've been instructed to ask the coach if it's for medical purposes & if he says "yes" then we play ball. No doc note required.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 01:28pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd66
That is what I thought. I was just thinking about all the little wannabes that will be wearing them this year after seeing them in the Olympics. Therefore, if you have a doctor's note then ok, otherwise leave it in the locker room, correct?
They have been wearing them since Alan Iverson made them popular.

Also we are not to ask for a doctor's note (unless you are told otherwise by your local associations) for these things. We assume they are for medical purposes and move on. These devices are not considered adornments or decorative items so we just assume they are using them for those reasons and we allow them.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 74
I understand that situation. I was just wondering if there had been a change in view since the NFHS has ruled them adornments for cross-county. I know, I know, this is basketball not cross-country, but god forbid that we apply logic in these circumstances.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 02:02pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd66
I understand that situation. I was just wondering if there had been a change in view since the NFHS has ruled them adornments for cross-county. I know, I know, this is basketball not cross-country, but god forbid that we apply logic in these circumstances.
Not at this point. Cross-Country is mostly a fall sport so I am sure they meet or get requests right before their season. It is always possible for Basketball to change their position, but there is no indication at this time that is going to happen. I am a little surprised because the NF likes to be consistent with rules like this across the board especially on issues like what is allowed to wear outside of the uniform.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 74
Wink

Thanks! I guess we will just wait and see what happens.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon Aug 25, 2008, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,955
One more example of "I don't want to be the fashion police anymore." Braces, etc I'm fine with checking to make sure they conform, but I'm tired of stuff like this.
__________________
That's my whistle -- and I'm sticking to it!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 12:19am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
One more example of "I don't want to be the fashion police anymore." Braces, etc I'm fine with checking to make sure they conform, but I'm tired of stuff like this.
How is that any different than being the traveling police? As an official you have duties to preform, some of them include watching for traveling and other violations as well as making sure that the players' equipment is legal.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 12:27am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,612
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB
How is that any different than being the traveling police? As an official you have duties to preform, some of them include watching for traveling and other violations as well as making sure that the players' equipment is legal.
It's different because missing a foul or a violation or misapplying a rule could have a huge impact on the game in a key situation.

Such is not the case when dealing with a kid wearing a head band that's the wrong color.

That's why it's different.
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 06:29am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 18,368
I Don't Need No Stinking Badge ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
It's different because missing a foul or a violation or misapplying a rule could have a huge impact on the game in a key situation.
Such is not the case when dealing with a kid wearing a head band that's the wrong color. That's why it's different.


I agree that missing a foul or violation is not the same as dealing with a kid wearing the wrong color headband, but I disagree with the part about it not impacting the game. Here's a once in a lifetime scenario:

A-1, the best foul shooter in the league, is one the line for a one-and-one with 0.3 seconds left in the game, his team down one point.
Team A has no remaining time outs.
Coach B points out to the officials that A-1, whose uniform is white, is wearing a blue headband, and he wants him removed from the game, to remove his headband, and to sit out a tick as the rules state.

Do you ignore Coach B's request completely, allow A-1 to wear the headband, and to shoot the free throw(s)?
Do you half-comply with Coach B's request, and simply have A-1 remove the headband, toss it to the bench, and then shoot the free throw(s).
Knowing that Coach B seems to know the rule, he states that another official made one of his players sit out a tick for an untucked jersey a few days ago in a blowout game, do you make A-1 sit a tick?

If I'm the official, I'm probably going with the second option, but I'm not sure that the rules would back me 100%.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 06:42am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 278
What possible medical reason? Stop making excuses and justifying your actions. Either they are legal or not.
__________________
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 07:02am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I agree that missing a foul or violation is not the same as dealing with a kid wearing the wrong color headband, but I disagree with the part about it not impacting the game. Here's a once in a lifetime scenario:

A-1, the best foul shooter in the league, is one the line for a one-and-one with 0.3 seconds left in the game, his team down one point.
Team A has no remaining time outs.
Coach B points out to the officials that A-1, whose uniform is white, is wearing a blue headband, and he wants him removed from the game, to remove his headband, and to sit out a tick as the rules state.

Do you ignore Coach B's request completely, allow A-1 to wear the headband, and to shoot the free throw(s)?
Do you half-comply with Coach B's request, and simply have A-1 remove the headband, toss it to the bench, and then shoot the free throw(s).
Knowing that Coach B seems to know the rule, he states that another official made one of his players sit out a tick for an untucked jersey a few days ago in a blowout game, do you make A-1 sit a tick?

If I'm the official, I'm probably going with the second option, but I'm not sure that the rules would back me 100%.
A1 is compliant with the rules after simply removing the headband. If the game isn't delayed, A1 also can stay on the floor without penalty or substitution required. There is NO rules justification to have A1 removed from the game. It's no different than discovering a player wearing jewelry on the court.

Iow, that situation doesn't impact the game.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 08:57am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 187
BillyMac thats why you tell the kid in warm ups to take it off. Had a sits this last year wher a kid had a sleve on during warm ups and I asked him if he had a medical reason for the sleve, he pulled it down and showed me about 25 stitches across his elbow. I let him keep the sleve. Secondly the untucked shirt thing you only remove the kid after repeated warnings, thats why you take care of business in the warm ups or as soon as the kid steps on the court not in the last moments of the game, if you warn him to remove an article and he doesnt then you remove him.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Home Plate ump forget his long sleeves? johnnyg08 Baseball 30 Fri May 09, 2008 08:54am
shooting or not shooting tmuckel Basketball 10 Mon Nov 06, 2006 08:58am
Under Armour Bands and Sleeves Uh fishy 8 Football 8 Wed Sep 07, 2005 02:59pm
Shooting Foul & Technical - Free Throw Shooting? brightstripes54 Basketball 10 Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:56pm
Act of shooting ROMANO Basketball 39 Wed Jan 08, 2003 02:14pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1