The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 14, 2012, 12:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
I'm going to mind my own business. He didn't tell me that. He told the coach that. He sold his call, hook line and sinker. I didn't say I would buy it though. The only thing worse than a bad call are two different calls on the same play.

It is a two base award. BR got two bases. I'm going to tell the coach to go to my partner and discuss it. If the coach doesn't know the rule and can't communicate it to my partner. I am not going to rescue the coach. A coach ever tried to use a previous call from the last game to justify why your calls are so bad. Reminds me of my playing days when umpires made the wrong decisions. I didn't run to my manager with the rule book. I saw at least a hAlf dozen misapplications of the rules made by veteran umpires.

If the partner ask me for my opinion, I'm gonna ask him if he saw the BR between the two bases and why he thinks one base, not two is the right award. Then I'm going to tell my partner to go back to that coach and explain his new ruling based on more information from me, his partner.
How about if the coach protests the game after his runner isn't awarded third base due to your partner's incompetence? Are you stepping in now? You gonna enjoy coming back to rework the game for FREE? Because that's what's gonna happen. I would much rather get the rule right on the field than come back and do it all over again without pay. We have a lot of coaches out here who have a fairly good working knowledge of the basic rules, and they pretty much know that the runner being "half way" to a base is totally irrelevant when it comes to awarding bases.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Apr 14, 2012, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Communication lines are still open?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
How about if the coach protests the game after his runner isn't awarded third base due to your partner's incompetence? Are you stepping in now? You gonna enjoy coming back to rework the game for FREE? Because that's what's gonna happen. I would much rather get the rule right on the field than come back and do it all over again without pay. We have a lot of coaches out here who have a fairly good working knowledge of the basic rules, and they pretty much know that the runner being "half way" to a base is totally irrelevant when it comes to awarding bases.
Coach, instead of protesting the game, why don't you go convince the BU to overturn his previous call. Are we going to play ball here or continue to whine. I'll go out there with you. Will you give it another try?

Last edited by SAump; Sat Apr 14, 2012 at 02:19pm.
Old Sat Apr 14, 2012, 09:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Wouldn't work here. Protests are not allowed where I live.
Old Sat Apr 14, 2012, 10:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
Wouldn't work here. Protests are not allowed where I live.
Well, they are in most areas, including mine.
Old Sat Apr 14, 2012, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think you might be mistaken in regards to "most areas". The number of states and local regions prohibiting protests has increased significantly in the past ten years. I don't know if it has reached a majority yet, but if not, it's headed that way.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2012, 01:32am
In Time Out

Quote:
Define most areas. I thought it was a decision by states that use FED rules to adopt or not adopt this rule.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2012, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Regardless of who's responsibility it is to award bases it is the entire crew's responsibility to make sure that the rules are applied properly. If I miss-apply a rule I want my partner(s) to inform me of my mistake immediately and I would do likewise.

How embarrassing it must be to have a protest filed because the officiating crew didn't know the rules and how to apply them correctly.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2012, 10:34am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Define most areas. I thought it was a decision by states that use FED rules to adopt or not adopt this rule.
The last time we discussed this issue of protests in FEDland, only a few chimed in that protests weren't allowed in their state. Most replied that they are. If you have some kind of inside information to the contrary, why don't you share it with the rest of us? I have searched for public statistics concerning this, and have had no success.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 08:15am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Let's keep it to baseball and not politics please.

Any personal attacks or anything else inappropriate needs to be reported through the board tools.

Thanks,
Brad
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Brad, the moderators have never cared if the guy from Aerosmith personally attacks people.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 11:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Let's keep it to baseball and not politics please.

Any personal attacks or anything else inappropriate needs to be reported through the board tools.

Thanks,
Brad
I for one am glad that the board tools of which you speak will once again be utilized as designed.
Closed Thread