The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire Interference / Batter Interference

Is the "delayed dead ball" aspect of these types of interference the same?

R1 is stealing when the (A) umpire, or (B) batter interferes with F2, whose throw goes into center field. The runner tries for third and is thrown out by F8.

I know in (B) that as soon as the throw does not retire the runner, the interference is enforced (in this instance, the batter is out and the runner returns).

Is it the same in A (except no one is out, of course), or does the play stand?

Looking for OBR, NCAA and FED rules on this.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Fed

In FED (5-1-2c), if there is no out made at the end of F2's throw (i.e. the initial play on the runner), the ball is then dead and the runner(s) return to their bases at the TOP.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Is the "delayed dead ball" aspect of these types of interference the same?

R1 is stealing when the (A) umpire, or (B) batter interferes with F2, whose throw goes into center field. The runner tries for third and is thrown out by F8.

I know in (B) that as soon as the throw does not retire the runner, the interference is enforced (in this instance, the batter is out and the runner returns).

Is it the same in A (except no one is out, of course), or does the play stand?

Looking for OBR, NCAA and FED rules on this.
Bob, See NCAA page 74: 6-3a.

The ball becomes dead and baserunners return when the plate umpire interferes with the catcher's attempt to throw anywhere.

See you at the clinic tonight.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Someone has been taking the NCAA test.

Have you submitted it yet?
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

I did. 92. I'm not happy. Something is wrong. (Yeah I know, five of my answers.) I'm looking forward to reviewing it.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2012, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Good one.

I believe the codes are the same.

BRD has no mention of this situation although 337 and 338 are close.

J/R has an interpretation for OBR and lists a FED rule.

OBR 5.09 (b) and NOTE

NCAA 6-3a is under a "Delayed Dead Ball - Runners Return or Advance". While it says the ball is dead when umpire interferes with a throw anywhere it is under the delayed ball heading so I think the intent is to apply the NOTE comments under OBR.

FED case book on delayed dead ball clarifies the FED question I think. 5.1.2 Sit B is a good one.

All seem to agree to me, umpire interferes with catcher throw then delayed dead ball, runner retired stands, if not return. So as soon as throw goes into CF plate ump should call time and enforce the dead ball return of runner, same as he would if F2 interfered and the throw got runner into rundown.

Last edited by DG; Thu Feb 02, 2012 at 09:26pm.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 08:29am
Official & ***** Member

Should it matter *who* does the interferring? The principle is the same -- F2 should have an unobstructed chance to retire the runner.

If his throw still retires R1, then the "interference" didn't have any effect. Otherwise, dead ball, runners return.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Bob, See NCAA page 74: 6-3a.

The ball becomes dead and baserunners return when the plate umpire interferes with the catcher's attempt to throw anywhere.

See you at the clinic tonight.
Right, but it doesn't say *when* the ball becomes dead, and the "runner is out if initial throw retires him, otherwise enforce the interference" wording is written *only* for BI.

I sure thought it was the same, but a review (or over-thinking) has me wondering.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

I share your dilemma Bob. And generally, I loathe countermanding the literal rule. But I can't see penalizing the defense (negating an opportunity for an out) for an act by the umpire when clearly the intent of the rule is to nullify the act.

And since the NCAA says its baseball rules "essentially are the same as for professional baseball," I consider this difference to be an uncaught typo.

Last edited by dash_riprock; Fri Feb 03, 2012 at 10:56am.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
I share your dilemma Bob. And generally, I loathe countermanding the literal rule. But I can't see penalizing the defense (negating an opportunity for an out) for an act by the umpire when clearly the intent of the rule is to nullify the act.

And since the NCAA says its baseball rules "essentially are the same as for professional baseball," I consider this difference to be an uncaught typo.
In the play on the test, R1 is stealing, PU interferes, the ball is thrown into center field, R1 is then thrown out trying for third. So, negating the play would penalize the defense.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

I think the question is whether the ball stays live for F2's initial throw, as it does with CI. If it does, then I you must follow the same guidelines, i.e., the ball is dead when F2's initial attempt does not retire the runner.

I didn't have that question on my first go-around but it is #38 on the 2nd one. Since an immediate dead ball is not one of the answers, I think the only other possibility is c - R1 is returned to first.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 11:32am
Veteran College Umpire

I seem to recall this was a situation that was explained a year or two back at the NCAA meetings - and that if the initial throw did not retire the runner then the ball was dead and the rule enforced. That would indeed return the runner to 1B (with the batter being called out in this case).
Look on the front page of the 2010 NCAA Bulletin (available in PDF on the NCAA Central Hub).
JJ

95 on the test....darned if I can figure which ones I missed. Too bad we have to wait 2 weeks to find out...

Last edited by JJ; Fri Feb 03, 2012 at 11:41am. Reason: incomplete information
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In the play on the test, R1 is stealing, PU interferes, the ball is thrown into center field, R1 is then thrown out trying for third. So, negating the play would penalize the defense.
Only reason for the play is UI that caused throw into CF. Otherwise runner might be thrown out at 2b or have base stolen. Offense or defense did not err, putting runner back to 1b for UI is fair to all, and appears to me to within rule for all codes.

With runner back on 1b both teams are at same benefit as before the UI and defense has equal opportunity to throw him out if he steals again and offense has equal oppportunity steal.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2012, 07:17pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Right, but it doesn't say *when* the ball becomes dead, and the "runner is out if initial throw retires him, otherwise enforce the interference" wording is written *only* for BI.

I sure thought it was the same, but a review (or over-thinking) has me wondering.
I thought in both forms of umpire interference the ball became "immediately" dead. Since it doesn't specify immediate or delayed, I assume dead means dead.

Try stayin' outta the way next time..............
Old Sat Feb 04, 2012, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
I thought in both forms of umpire interference the ball became "immediately" dead. Since it doesn't specify immediate or delayed, I assume dead means dead.

Try stayin' outta the way next time..............
This type of umpire interference is clearly in the "delayed dead" part of the rules book.

Try readin' it next time.