The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Here's a new one for you all. I was the plate umpire, runner on first, on a pass ball. The runner is heading to second, I start down the line to cover a possible play at third. SMACK! the batter has stepped out of the batter's box and takes a few practice swing and creams me in the right hand. The Runner did continue to third and I was not in position to make any kind of call. So she was safe. In truth I have no idea if there was a play or not as I was hopping around in pain. (BTW blood does not come out of our shirts very well) Is there any penalty or position I could enforce or use to avoid this in the future? Needless to say for the rest of the tournament I was real jittery around batters taking these practice swings during live ball play.
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

No penalty to enforce here. You just need to be aware of the locations of the players on the field as you are moving to get position. I have had the same thing happen to me...getting hit by a practice swing as I'm moving out from behind the plate. I may say something to the batter..."I am right behind you"...to get her attention and alert her to the fact that I am there.

Remember...nobody pays any attention to the position of the umpires until a call is made!
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I can definitely relate to this situation, as I've almost gotten bashed in the face several times this season by the same kind of situation. I'm having to force myself to be more aware of where the batter is when there's action on the bases so as to not walk right into her practice swing#&$^%&*$*#(#()#(~~~~:-)
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BuggBob
Here's a new one for you all. I was the plate umpire, runner on first, on a pass ball. The runner is heading to second, I start down the line to cover a possible play at third. SMACK! the batter has stepped out of the batter's box and takes a few practice swing and creams me in the right hand. The Runner did continue to third and I was not in position to make any kind of call. So she was safe. In truth I have no idea if there was a play or not as I was hopping around in pain. (BTW blood does not come out of our shirts very well) Is there any penalty or position I could enforce or use to avoid this in the future? Needless to say for the rest of the tournament I was real jittery around batters taking these practice swings during live ball play.
Not until your insurance company (assuming you received medical treatment) sends you that nice little questionaire asking about your injury.
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 02:47pm
Never Stop Learning

Your partener should also be aware of what is going on and try to get position if the plate umpire is trapped behind the plate on a passed ball. Either crown around second or bust inside to help you out at third. Never miss a chance for an out.

[Edited by Ed Maeder on May 23rd, 2005 at 03:49 PM]
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 08:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by 110rtman
sounds to me like you need to learn better plate mechanics
move inside the base-line as heading towards third
Say good night.
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA

Not until your insurance company (assuming you received medical treatment) sends you that nice little questionaire asking about your injury. [/B]
I got one of those the other day for x-ray's and a trip to the doc because I was smashed in the hand by a pitched ball that the batter forgot to hit and the catcher forgot to catch.
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 05:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here's a new one for you all.
Must of been something in the air this year. I don't think I have ever had it happen to me when I am going to cover third, but it did this year. For me, it was just a close call, not actual contact like you.

My conclusion was that I was slowing down on getting a jump at third. If the batter had stepped out of the box and started a practive swing by the time I was moving by...

I further concluded that it must be my stike mechanic that was too slow. It can't be that I'm getting old and fat.
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Say good night.
Mick, Does this mean this poster has been removed for unsportsmanlike behavior? If so many thanks for keeping this fourm usable and not letting it deteriorate into unusable chaos.

Bugg
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 10:21am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Say good night.
Mick, Does this mean this poster has been removed for unsportsmanlike behavior? If so many thanks for keeping this fourm usable and not letting it deteriorate into unusable chaos.

Bugg
No, BuggBob.
This poster has not been removed for a second time.
From the quality of the posts, I am guessing this person is:
  • Young
  • Learning the sport
  • Unfamiliar with decorum

I used to be young and I welcomed tolerance ... in retrospect.

mick
    Old Tue May 24, 2005, 10:48pm
    Official Forum Member

Unhappy sore head

last week working jv girls and am at plate...ball passes catcher goes to the back stop...runner coming in from third and the pitcher is bearing in on home...off comes the mask as im getting into position in front of plate on first base side...watching the runner and pitcher for possible collsion and WHACK the catcher beans me on the side of the head, still sore and its a week later...call runner safe then dead ball then dead ump...catcher's look was priceless...lesson learned, do not get to close to the play...do I get a purple heart or something?