The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 04, 2012, 08:22pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
This type of umpire interference is clearly in the "delayed dead" part of the rules book.

Try readin' it next time.
I replied to your post after reading it. Delayed dead ball in interference situations is limited to one throw by the defense. To appease you I went back, and read the whole thread. I've only seen this situation one time that I can ever remember. The umpire lost his balance, fell over toward the catcher, and no throw was actually made.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2012, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Delayed dead ball in interference situations is limited to one throw by the defense.
NCAA reference (for UI, not for BI), please.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2012, 09:57pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
NCAA reference (for UI, not for BI), please.
Sorry, I more or less just skimmed thought thread at the time.

I was wrong in thinking all UI was a "immediate" dead ball. I was backtracking to rote memory as to what I saw. I do remember asking way back when a delayed dead ball become dead. To make a long story short, I was told, the ball becomes dead when after the "initial" throw, it doesn't retire a runner. I for the most part was wanting to know because of the situation with multiple runners.

The explanation I got was the throw is the "entire play". It's no use allowing the runner(s) to advance if they are going to be returned to a TOP base. The person doing the explaining advised, "At least that's the way in everything I work". He at the time did some college baseball. I don't recall if he worked NJCCA, NAIA, or NCAA. Whether he was referring to UI/BI at the same time, I don't really remember.

I was under the impression you were looking for a test answer that was wrong. I now know that you were looking for the reference for the answer.

It looks like DG gave the answer, and dash gave the explanation. Sounds logical to me.