The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

As most here know, I crossed over to the dark side a few years ago and coach my son's ball team in addition to umpiring a crazy Spring schedule. I never liked it when a coach would say, "I need that strike too." when I called it on one of his batters. I swore I would never do it. I then did just that. It is pretty hard not to see a different strike zone when you are in a coach's box. I;m sure I'll do it again too. (sigh)

I don't believe I have ever asked a catcher what he thought of my calls when he was batting. I may have asked him what was up after one of his teammates was rung up and the bench was louder than normal. Usually, catchers at my level are smarter than I would have been at their age. Most know that it's best to keep me happy. I try to do the same with them.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 03:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The part where he jumped on the catcher for answering a stupid question.
Assuming the F2 is telling the truth. Based on my experiences with teenagers including my son, I thinks not.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 06:31pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
Consider this scenario:

"I can't believe you rung me up on that, blue."

"Well, where do you think the pitch was?"

"Way inside."

"Don't argue my strikezone, son."

More believable to me..............

Tim.
From A League of Their Own.

"That pitch might been a ball yesterday. It might be a ball tomorrow. But, today it's a strike."
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
Consider this scenario:

"I can't believe you rung me up on that, blue."

"Well, where do you think the pitch was?"

"Way inside."

"Don't argue my strikezone, son."

More believable to me..............

Tim.
Instead of asking that, I would reply with "I can believe it, because I had it as a strike".
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump View Post
IF the home plate umpire actually asked the question in the first place. More than likely since the catcher had approached the subject in the dugout before taking his place defensively, he probably was the one to bring up the subject behind the dish as well. I very highly doubt the umpire asked the guy that just struck out looking where he thought the pitch was.

Then of course the umpire is going to tell the kid to stop arguing balls and strikes. Especially with the attitude the catcher apparently has ("see if our pitcher gets the same calls"). He's lucky he didn't get ejected right there!
You don't know all umpires then. There are untrained, unprofessional umpires all over the place, and I would not be surprised if this happened.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 11:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
You don't know all umpires then. There are untrained, unprofessional umpires all over the place, and I would not be surprised if this happened.
And I know a lot of players and coaches and they will twist any innocent comment or conversation into something it never was intended to be. I just would not be surprised if this was not as simple as it was made out to be from the beginning of this thread.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 13, 2011, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Yep. I can think of several guys around here who would say something like that.

I don't do it all the time, but if I ring up a good catcher on a close one, when he comes out I may ask him where he thought it was or just flat out ask him if I missed it. I'm talking about your solid F2 that knows the zone well. I've probably been BS'ing w/ him anyway and I want to keep the mood light, prevent problems. Game management, imo.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2011, 01:49pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmbu View Post
Last night my catcher got called out on strikes to end an inning. Since he knows the strikezone so well, I asked him if he thought the pitch was inside. He said, "I thought it was, but I will just try to see if our pitcher can get that call too." During the next half inning, I noticed him having a discussion with PU. After the inning ended, I asked what was being said. He told me that PU had asked him where he thought the pitch was. When he told him he felt like it was inside, PU started to argue with him and told him not to question his judgement. I told him if he is ever asked that again to simply say, "It was a good pitch." I did not bring up the subject with PU at any time during the game, but I feel that if he does not want an honest answer from a player, he should not ask a question.

Any thoughts?
"Since he knows the strike zone so well..."
Please. He's either a catcher or an umpire, and usually someone who purports to be both isn't very good at either.

JJ
Old Fri Oct 14, 2011, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

A GOOD catcher knows a strike when he catches it, and doesn't say anything when he does not get the call for his pitcher, or when marginal pitch is called against him, and he swings at marginal pitches with 2 strikes.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2011, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

I never intiate that type of conversation. If I feel I missed one bad, I may give them a look maybe an eye roll, and the good ones will know. And a very good one will say nothing. When a coach questions his catcher a great F2 will concur with my call. maybe they have a conversation back in the dugout, but not in the open.

I have had catchers come back out and make a polite comment about a pitch I may have rung them up on. I simply reply "If you were back here you would have wanted that pitch as a strike yourself."

Usually they nod and we move on.