The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 03, 2005, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

We were riding home from a game last night (an awesome game and my first experience at Umpire in a varsity contest), and my crew got into a discussion of what we do if either team has only ten players on the field. It happened to the defense in our game. My linesman stated that he would tell the coach, "Hey Coach, you've only got ten out there". My umpire (who Refereed last night) strongly felt that doing this was coaching. He made the point (and I fully agree) that it could be an unfair advantage to the team being told they only have ten players if the other wing isn't doing it. Frankly, how to handle this hasn't been addressed in our pregame. I am going to add it for future games.

IF (and this is a big IF) I were to do this, I would suggest to the coach that he count his players on the field.

What are your feelings on giving a varsity coach a hint that he doesn't have enough players on the field?

Old Sat Sep 03, 2005, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
We do it for both teams with a count your players comment to a player on the field. This is not as obvious to the fans and it makes it look like a player is on top of things. Offensively the QB is usually pretty good at catching this on his own but if not then they better have 7 on the line.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Sat Sep 03, 2005, 09:15am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb

I would not tell a coach how many players are on the field, but a statement like "Count your players" is the best approach. Direct it to either the captain, coach or nearest player if you're far from the other two. This gives them time to either call a timeout or to get the last player on the field before it's illegal to do so.

Once the play is over, I might tell the captain or coach that he "was missing a tight end," or "you were one short on that play coach" or what have you. I especially do this when a score was made, because the coach then knows that had he had the proper number of players on the field, things could have been different.

I've even spoken up for players when getting reemed by their coaches for allowing the TD. If I'm around, I jump in and tell the coach, with the player nearby, that he only had 11 on the field, "he was short a player." Hopefully the kid feels better after that.

As mentioned, the key is to treat each team, coach, and player the same.

In games with younger players, I might tell a mention that there are only 10 or 11 before the snap.

There are always exceptions. I'm WH in an OVFL game and the visitors are getting thumped. The finally score a TD with 2-3 minutes left in the game, to make it 30-6. They were confused with personnel and had 13 on the field for the PAT attempt. Clearly, someone had to leave. I picked the guy closest to their sideline, and told him to leave. I said, "#10, leave the field. Just go." Presumably not knowing why, his teammate says, "Go, go off." #10 looks confused, but does leave. Sure enough, the snap comes and the PAT is good. Coach thanked me for that one. I suppose it's possible to "mis-count" in some blowout games, but not in the OVFL.
Old Sat Sep 03, 2005, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

I usually work HL so I'm counting B (or R on a free kick down). If my initial count yields more or less than 11 I'll tell the players on the field to "count your players." For example, last night's game had a team in black jerseys and a team in white jerseys. My comment would be "black, count your players."

This is preventive officiating. Neither team gains an advantage because I will say the same thing to the white-jerseyed team when they're on defense.

If they fail to count their players and adjust accordingly, then they either play with less than allowed or they get a penalty at the snap.

If a team was short a player and didn't make the adjustment I will tell a coach (that he was a man short) if he's on my sideline. If appropriate, I'll relay the message through the Umpire to the LJ if it involves the team on the opposite sideline.
Old Sat Sep 03, 2005, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Will never let a free kick play start with the incorrect number of players.

But on a play from scrimmage, I don't think we should be instructing the sideline that they have too many or too few out on the field. After the play, then sure let them know. They'll get a flag if they have too many.

For one, your count could be wrong. Secondly, I'd be in deep doodoo should their 11th player decide to come on in after the snap and now I have a problem if I don't flag it.

Nah,I say no. Let the coach handle his formations as obviously there has been a break down in their game plan and that's not my concern.
Old Sat Sep 03, 2005, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

In GA, we tell them to "count their players".

It keeps us from being liable for an IP flag. If for some reason, I were to miscount and there were 11 players and I told them "Coach, you only have 10"... then I would look like an idiot. But if all I tell the Coach is to count his players, I'm not liable.
Old Sat Sep 03, 2005, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Scrimmage play tell them to count their players.

Free kick play make sure they get the 11 out there as you have plenty of time, and can delay the RFP.
Old Sat Sep 03, 2005, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

In a Pee Wee( 5th or 6th grade) game a few years ago B only had 10 players, I told the captain to count his players. He yelled for Billy to get off the field! Ran the play with 9 players and dropped the runner for a 3 yard loss. The coach sent Billy back the next play and they finished the series with only 10 players. His team only had 4 subs, not sure why he could not count them.
Old Sat Sep 03, 2005, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Theisey. Don't coach on the scrimmage play. If the team can't count, they will learn soon enough. On a free kick, yep, don't start without 11 each.
Old Sun Sep 04, 2005, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Where I am, we generally have the wings be responsible for counting the players of the team from the sideline they're working. If they think they have a shortage/overage, we tell em to count their players, or sometimes notify the coach after the fact that that they only had 10 on the precious play or whatever.

Had one yesterday where a team was starting to chirp a little bit, and they got themselves in a situation where they were on offense and only had 10 on the field. They subbed a couple times, and for 3 plays in a row, only had 10. The third time, they only got 6 on the line so I flagged em for illegal formation. When coach asked what the problem was, I said "You didn't have enough men on the LOS. You had 4 in the backfield." He said, "Well, 11-4 is still 7." I said, "Yes, but 10-4 is only 6." He then turned his ire where it was more appropriate, figuring out who wasn't out on the field when he should have been.
Old Sun Sep 04, 2005, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Friday, one team (big underdog to the threepeat state champ) was having a little trouble getting 11 on the field after a time-out. As Unpire I just stood there counting 2,4,6,8,10...2,4,6,8,10. They stood around for a bit until someone finally got the idea.
Nothing says you can't make your count out loud! Use to do the same thing years ago on the sideline. Of course with coaches it normally takes longer for them to figure it out.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Mon Sep 05, 2005, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

My thoughts here:

1. I don't considering telling a team to "count their players" to be coaching. Telling a coach that between downs is a lot different than telling a player how to block, how to cover the receiver, etc.

2. I would tell them between downs. If you tell them right before the snap you run the risk of (a) having the wrong count, or (b) having a player run onto the field during the down.

3. Finally, I would say "count your players," not "you only have 10 out there." That way the final responsiblity for the count is on the coach. If my count was incorrect, that way the coach counted them and sent the then 12th player out there based on his infomation, not mine.