The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

I had to tell one of my players to lie

Last night my catcher got called out on strikes to end an inning. Since he knows the strikezone so well, I asked him if he thought the pitch was inside. He said, "I thought it was, but I will just try to see if our pitcher can get that call too." During the next half inning, I noticed him having a discussion with PU. After the inning ended, I asked what was being said. He told me that PU had asked him where he thought the pitch was. When he told him he felt like it was inside, PU started to argue with him and told him not to question his judgement. I told him if he is ever asked that again to simply say, "It was a good pitch." I did not bring up the subject with PU at any time during the game, but I feel that if he does not want an honest answer from a player, he should not ask a question.

Any thoughts?
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 03:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Wow, I only work basketball, but this ranks up there as one of the most unprofessional approaches I can imagine. Top five, at least.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 04:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Wow, I only work basketball, but this ranks up there as one of the most unprofessional approaches I can imagine. Top five, at least.
What part?

Peace
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree. If I ask the catcher where he thought the pitch was, I want to know.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

I'm missing something here.

Why on Earth would I, as the PU, ask the batter where he thought the pitch was that got him kayed? Yeah, yeah, he's your catcher the next half inning, which is all the more reason not to go there. Nothing good can result in that conversation.

Now, a smart catcher will may say something like, "Man, I guess I was too close to the dish on that one", and let that be it. If the PU wants to add some input, then the catcher can agree, and now you've a happy PU. Happy PU's call more strikes with happy catchers. Good catchers know how to "work" umpires, and vice versa.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I'm only going there if either a) F2 goes there or b) I know F2 is going there, and I can deal with it preemptively.

But I'd never take an approach of snapping back unless something very wrong was said. Hey, I asked the question, I better be able to deal with his answer no matter what he says (at least almost everything he could say).
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 07:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What part?

Peace
The part where he jumped on the catcher for answering a stupid question.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 10:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The part where he jumped on the catcher for answering a stupid question.
I do not even know why he asked the question. That is why I was wondering what part did you find unprofessional. Then again this is after all one side of the story, so it might not have gone off totally that way. The entire situation seems a little fishy.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

As PU, I would never ask that question. If somehow it popped out of my mouth and I didn't get an answer I liked, shame on me.

It's like the umpire that gets through a tough situation, has it defused, then between innings takes it upon himself to bring it back up with coach. Then gets offended when coach says something he doesn't like.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do not even know why he asked the question. That is why I was wondering what part did you find unprofessional. Then again this is after all one side of the story, so it might not have gone off totally that way. The entire situation seems a little fishy.

Peace
IF the home plate umpire actually asked the question in the first place. More than likely since the catcher had approached the subject in the dugout before taking his place defensively, he probably was the one to bring up the subject behind the dish as well. I very highly doubt the umpire asked the guy that just struck out looking where he thought the pitch was.

Then of course the umpire is going to tell the kid to stop arguing balls and strikes. Especially with the attitude the catcher apparently has ("see if our pitcher gets the same calls"). He's lucky he didn't get ejected right there!

Last edited by blueump; Wed Oct 12, 2011 at 10:08am.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 10:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump View Post
IF the home plate umpire actually asked the question in the first place. More than likely since the catcher had approached the subject in the dugout before taking his place defensively, he probably was the one to bring up the subject behind the dish as well. I very highly doubt the umpire asked the guy that just struck out looking where he thought the pitch was.

Then of course the umpire is going to tell the kid to stop arguing balls and strikes. Especially with the attitude the catcher apparently has ("see if our pitcher gets the same calls"). He's lucky he didn't get ejected right there!
That is why I said it sounds fishy. It sounds like if there was a question it was based on something the catcher either wanted to talk about or made some comment that sparked a question. Either way I do not know for sure and anything is possible, but it sounds a little more to me than an umpire just asking a question out of the blue.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I think there's more to this story than we're being told. And very possibly this coach doesn't have all of the facts from his catcher. My guess is that the catcher must have said something to the PU about the call.

Tim.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 11:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Peace
True enough. One wonders whether the catcher initiated the conversation. Either way, responding with that question seems unprofessional, and the response to the answer even worse. If you don't want to know, don't ask and just remind him not to argue BAS.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
True enough. One wonders whether the catcher initiated the conversation. Either way, responding with that question seems unprofessional, and the response to the answer even worse. If you don't want to know, don't ask and just remind him not to argue BAS.
Consider this scenario:

"I can't believe you rung me up on that, blue."

"Well, where do you think the pitch was?"

"Way inside."

"Don't argue my strikezone, son."

More believable to me..............

Tim.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2011, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
Consider this scenario:

"I can't believe you rung me up on that, blue."

"Well, where do you think the pitch was?"

"Way inside."

"Don't argue my strikezone, son."

More believable to me..............

Tim.
Considering what F2 said as he left the dugout, my guess is that the first sentence was along the lines of:
"I hope my pitcher gets that pitch too."