The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 25, 2011, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Question Situations

I worked two tournament games today with the same partner in a high school (FED) tournament. In the first game, he was the BU and there was a very close play at first base. My partner made the out call and the BR jumped up in the air with his arms raised like he couldn't believe the call. He then proceded to fire his helmet into the fence beside the dugout and then kicked the helmet on his way back to the dugout. Looking back, I now realize that I should have stepped in and made the ejection since my parner ignored what was happening a few feet away from him.

In the second game, my partner was PU and after a couple of close pitches in the fifth inning, the defensive coach said, "Nice pitch. You have to give us that one." That was the first I had heard out of him the entire game. My partner took it upon himself to walk to the dugout and tell the coach that he would eject him for any further comments. The coach calmly said, "okay" and did not say another word to either of us the rest of the game.

After the games, I talked to my partner about game management. He said that he did not eject the player in the first game, because he felt that it was an issue for the coach to handle. He said that he called out the coach in the second game, because he needed to show him who was in charge and that there was nobody else there who would have stopped him. I didn't agree with either of these points, but I could tell I was not going to get anywhere with him. How could I have handled it differently?
Old Sun Sep 25, 2011, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
I don't know that you should have done anything about the second situation any differently than what you did. In the first situation, had I been the PU and felt the players actions warranted an ejection, I would have ejected him. I wouldn't have fired off an ejection across the field. I would have called time and pulled my line up card out and motioned the manager over, and quietly told him his player was done for the night as the manager watched me scratch his player from the line up card.

Tim.
Old Sun Sep 25, 2011, 06:32pm

Was the guy new or something? What is he doing working at a level beyond JV Tiddlywinks?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Sep 25, 2011, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Not new

He is not new. He has been around for a few years. He doesn't seem to have improved much. I would say that he is my partner for more than 75% of my games. We work together a lot.
Old Sun Sep 25, 2011, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

If, as you've said, "but I could tell I was not going to get anywhere with him", why would work with him for 75% of your games?

I too have a partner during the summer. We work 60-70 games each summer. We constantly critique each other when necessary and ask each other's view point, call from their perspective, how's my positioning, how's my zone, etc. We learn from our mistakes and hopefully improve.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Good questions. We cover these types of things prior to each season in our state clinics. Handling situations is a critical part of umpire success. Hopefully your local group will help bring about clinics to discuss matters like the one you wrote about.

You stated that this was a Fed ruled game. You are fully within your authority to eject the player for his unsportsmanlike display. What he did was visible to all and a potential risk to others. You won't be showing your partner up by ejecting the player. There is no need to be dramatic about the dump. His HC will know.

For the second play, I don't see where he was wrong. We don't let others question balls and strikes. Maybe a look the coach's way would have sufficed, maybe a simple instruction with the mask on would have worked, HTBT.

I've seen a lot of post games go badly when a partner was too aggressive or defensive. A really good umpire friend told me long ago to ask questions at first. If you are the more senior umpire or crew chief, a great lead is, "That was a good game. Any thing you want to cover?" If he is reluctant, point out something he did well. Tell him that you were happy to see him cover the play, change angle, rotate, etc. so well. Read him. If he is appreciative, you can offer advice rather than criticism. If he becomes defensive, you may benefit from a discussion with the assignor. Maybe there is baggage there that you are unaware of. Around here, assignors seem to know a great deal about personalities and history. I hope you are as fortunate with yours.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

I dunno. If I'm behind the plate, my BU is in A, and I eject a player who's down the first base line, I'm looking like a poacher. Either that, or I'm making my partner look like a wimp.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Ejecting a player who throws his helmet to the fence and then kicks it is not poaching. It is a rule violation enforceable by any umpire on the field. The PU may have prevented kindling from becoming a fire.

I don't recall the thread but another member related how his partner ejected the on deck batter for mocking the PU. I think he said the guy held his nose and then kissed the palm of his hand and smacked his butt to the delight of his fans. The PU had seen it but figured he could take care of it when the kid stepped into the box. I remember a couple people saying that the BU was poaching too. Situation handled, score not kept for umpires.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Mike, by rule you're correct. But it just makes the BU look weak when the PU takes care of the BU's business.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Okay, BR doesn't like his out call:
  • BR gets vocal - leave it to the BU
  • BR gets animated - still leave it to the BU
  • BR launches his helmet - if the BU doesn't handle it, the the PU steps in and makes the ejection.
There are two ways the PU can handle this:
  1. Straight out hook
  2. Get the manager's attention and let him know that the BR is done for the day.
Once the player starts throwing things, someone has to deal with it because we (as officials) must be concerned about safety of the players, coaches and fans. Pretty much, when a player goes this far and your partner doesn't deal with the problem, then you have to. Otherwise you both look like fools.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

I don't think it makes a fellow umpire any weaker than when we confer and the original call is overturned. In the end, the correct call is made.

In the OP, if the ejection is handled correctly it is not a big deal. The entire field can see why he is no longer involved in the contest. Good communications with the kid's HC helps.

I once tossed a kid who had hit a double and was dusting off at second after a head first slide. I signalled "Time" and the kid stepped off, tossed his shin protector to the HC who had jogged in from his box. The coach asked about an exchange he had with the PU during his at bat. The kid said something like, "That m-----f----- said he wanted me back in the box or he would call a strike. I told him to wait. I was getting signs. F--- him." The HC was looking right at me, five feet behind the kid. I shook my head and said, "Skip, get a new runner. He's done." This was an NJCAA game and the ejection costly as it was the first of a conference DH. My partner didn't know what happened until I reported the ejection. He was thankful I had his back. I could have conferred during halves and let him search and destroy. We simply call what we see and let the game play out.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 11:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Mike, by rule you're correct. But it just makes the BU look weak when the PU takes care of the BU's business.
And it makes the entire crew look weak when NOBODY takes care of business. As the PU, I would've calmly ended the BR's day after giving the BU the opportunity first.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
And it makes the entire crew look weak when NOBODY takes care of business. As the PU, I would've calmly ended the BR's day after giving the BU the opportunity first.
Agreed. Somebody has to deal with it. And that somebody is the BU. And if the BU isn't going to hike up his big boy pants and deal with, yeah, the PU needs to step in. It just looks bad, that's all.

Last edited by kylejt; Mon Sep 26, 2011 at 12:17pm.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
I dunno. If I'm behind the plate, my BU is in A, and I eject a player who's down the first base line, I'm looking like a poacher. Either that, or I'm making my partner look like a wimp.
+1

OTOH... if you're partner IS a wimp, and doesn't eject in a sitch like the OP ... maybe he deserves to appear as such.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Okay, BR doesn't like his out call:
There are two ways the PU can handle this:
  1. Straight out hook
  2. Get the manager's attention and let him know that the BR is done for the day.
Launch him and make everyone know it's not allowed. By bringing the coach over and doing it over a lineup change doesn't send a direct message that the behavior isn't tolerated.