Thread: Situations
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

I don't think it makes a fellow umpire any weaker than when we confer and the original call is overturned. In the end, the correct call is made.

In the OP, if the ejection is handled correctly it is not a big deal. The entire field can see why he is no longer involved in the contest. Good communications with the kid's HC helps.

I once tossed a kid who had hit a double and was dusting off at second after a head first slide. I signalled "Time" and the kid stepped off, tossed his shin protector to the HC who had jogged in from his box. The coach asked about an exchange he had with the PU during his at bat. The kid said something like, "That m-----f----- said he wanted me back in the box or he would call a strike. I told him to wait. I was getting signs. F--- him." The HC was looking right at me, five feet behind the kid. I shook my head and said, "Skip, get a new runner. He's done." This was an NJCAA game and the ejection costly as it was the first of a conference DH. My partner didn't know what happened until I reported the ejection. He was thankful I had his back. I could have conferred during halves and let him search and destroy. We simply call what we see and let the game play out.