The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 11:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Easy now, fellas. Remember, I'm just talking about MLB here. Not what we do. If a guy turns around says $#!+ to me, yeah, he's getting run. But it's different at that level. You let him have his say, and as long as he's moving on, you don't chase him with your mask off. That's the way most handle it.
But you got on basketball officials about a week ago for not putting up with crap and now you are upset that a manager is yelling at someone not in a discussion and he gets tossed as a result. At least be consistent that is all.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Apparently the video didn't show the umpires coming together to discuss whether or not anybody saw the batter get hit. This ejection came after Joe had already started back to third and got most of the way there.

If you convince the umpires to come together and discuss something like this, you should be prepared to get run if you go off the deep end (especially while gesturing) afterwards.

There's a cut at 0:20.

Watch at 10:20 of this:

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | 8/28/11 Condensed Game: WSH@CIN - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia -- at 10:40 Holbrook calls the crew in. Then *this* video is cut. It's resumed after the ejection and Johnson headed up to third.

Gesturing like that is going to get you run, especially in the Major Leagues. It's probably going to get you run from any game I work, too.

Of course this just lets the usual suspects get another dig in at Joe West for doing his job.
Well, Rich, after seeing the video you provided, I will say that I would eject any manager yelling or gesturing like that. My vote is Joe West was absolutely correct in dumping Johnson.

Those who think that only the PU could make the ejection have obviously never worked with me (and probably never will, either). I'll dump a rat in a New York minute when they deserve it and if you (my partner) doesn't have the balls to do it, I get the job done.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 11:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Well, Rich, after seeing the video you provided, I will say that I would eject any manager yelling or gesturing like that. My vote is Joe West was absolutely correct in dumping Johnson.

Those who think that only the PU could make the ejection have obviously never worked with me (and probably never will, either). I'll dump a rat in a New York minute when they deserve it and if you (my partner) doesn't have the balls to do it, I get the job done.
Yup. My reaction exactly. If I unintentionally softened my answer, I didn't mean to. I have no problems ejecting people who deserve to be ejected.

Some people here just have a hard-on for that particular umpire.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
But you got on basketball officials about a week ago for not putting up with crap and now you are upset that a manager is yelling at someone not in a discussion and he gets tossed as a result. At least be consistent that is all.

Peace
Jeff,

I think Kyle was on the other side of that discussion, wondering why basketball officials appear to him to be taking too much crap.

That make his opinions pretty consistent.

Tim.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 11:44am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
Jeff,

I think Kyle was on the other side of that discussion, wondering why basketball officials appear to him to be taking too much crap.

That make his opinions pretty consistent.

Tim.
I do not think he understands basketball officiating to be honest. So his comments now are to suggest that West should just sit there and get yelled at and have a coach gesturing at him all day long. Based on his comments about basketball officials, they should not take that crap at all. Now he is getting on a guy for not putting up with that crap and he is being critical. So which is it? Either it is OK to get yelled at from a distance or it is not? His critique was that basketball officials should be dumping coaches for yelling at them. West was yelled at, he dumped the guy.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do not think he understands basketball officiating to be honest. So his comments now are to suggest that West should just sit there and get yelled at and have a coach gesturing at him all day long. Based on his comments about basketball officials, they should not take that crap at all. Now he is getting on a guy for not putting up with that crap and he is being critical. So which is it? Either it is OK to get yelled at from a distance or it is not? His critique was that basketball officials should be dumping coaches for yelling at them. West was yelled at, he dumped the guy.

Peace
I hear you, Jeff. But I agree with Kyle (with the caveat that I don't know exactly what was said), that JW did appear to be overstepping by running this guy from such a distance. I thought the PU should have given him the heave-ho.

Tim.

Last edited by BigUmp56; Thu Sep 01, 2011 at 04:57pm.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 11:55am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I hear you, Jeff. But I agree with Kyle (with the caveat that I don't know exactly what said), that JW did appear to be overstepping by running this guy from such a distance. I thought the PU should have given him the heave-ho.

Tim.
That is fine if you agree, but he claimed that basketball officials just take crap and do nothing about it. Now he wants a manager that is yelling at an umpire and that umpire should just ignore or walk away. You start yelling at me I do not care what distance you are doing it. I have the right to take action. I also do not know what was said, but my name comes up and we will have a problem.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

There's a little disconnect here, guys.

My real beef was at about 9:30 in that video. PU rings up the BR on an outside pitch. BR says something to the PU, and walks off. THEN the PU pulls his mask off, follows the batter toward the dugout, and fires back at him. No need for that, IMO.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 12:35pm

Joe West is not everyone's cup of vodka. However, he has a ton of MLB experience, and has his own style, and it rubs people the wrong way. His mechanics are lazy and plodding, and he doesn't take any crap, and this seems to bother some folks. He has every right to eject anyone for gesturing and yelling in his direction. As has been said, the PU decided not to take action, thereby leaving it all up to Joe to man up and throw Johnson out. Sure, the PU is not supposed to chase the offender for just "having his say," but what exactly was said? If it was something offensive, then I'm going to chase and run the guy myself. If I have to take my mask off to deal with somebody, they are getting run. Period.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I hear you, Jeff. But I agree with Kyle (with the caveat that I don't know exactly what was said), that JW did appear to be overstepping by running this guy from such a distance. I thought the PU should have given him the heave-ho.

Tim.
If I'm the PU and a manager/coach directs a gesture at one of my more experienced partners like this and I try to step in and take care of business, I would probably be seen as stepping on his toes and trying to handle his business for him. The manager directed his gesture at Joe, so Joe dumped him.

There are a few things that West does that aren't advisable at any other level, but he gets a bad rap overall. He handled this just fine.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
If I'm the PU and a manager/coach directs a gesture at one of my more experienced partners like this and I try to step in and take care of business, I would probably be seen as stepping on his toes and trying to handle his business for him. The manager directed his gesture at Joe, so Joe dumped him.

There are a few things that West does that aren't advisable at any other level, but he gets a bad rap overall. He handled this just fine.
I guess I don't see grabbing his ear and pointing toward the dugout to imply that he could hear the HBP from there reason enough to eject a manager at the MLB level.

Tim.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
well, rich, after seeing the video you provided, i will say that i would eject any manager yelling or gesturing like that. My vote is joe west was absolutely correct in dumping johnson.

Those who think that only the pu could make the ejection have obviously never worked with me (and probably never will, either). I'll dump a rat in a new york minute when they deserve it and if you (my partner) doesn't have the balls to do it, i get the job done.
+1
Old Sat Sep 03, 2011, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Good morning Jeff, I just want to ask this: We are working together and you've had a few coin flip calls that go against the same team. Late in the game, I have a banger at the dish that is an out against his team. He comes out and is upset at my call. While questioning it, he points to you a few times and says, "I expect calls like that from him but not you, Blue." Do you dump him?

Just asking.
Old Sat Sep 03, 2011, 12:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

If a coach starts yelling at me then he has made me apart of the conversation. If I feel so inclined then yes I would have no problem dumping a coach.

Peace
Old Sat Sep 03, 2011, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If a coach starts yelling at me then he has made me apart of the conversation. If I feel so inclined then yes I would have no problem dumping a coach.

Peace
That is not what I asked.