The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Joe West ejects Davey Johnson

So, the third base umpire ejects a manager who is arguing with the PU?

If I am the PU, I am not pleased.

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | WSH@CIN: Davey's ejected for disputing call - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

So Davey Johnson can stand there and yell at Joe but Joe is supposed to keep his mouth shut? Give me a break.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

The Plate Umpire can toss him...isn't that how you have seen it done EVERY SINGLE TIME?
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Johnson was yelling at Joe West. He is the crew chief. West ejects Johnson. I see it happen all the time. Holbrook could care less if West runs him.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

I did not see him yelling at Joe West
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
I did not see him yelling at Joe West
Look at the video starting at 20 seconds - he's looking right at West. He looks to be yelling something, pointing with his left hand, and pointing to his head with his right hand, then starts walking towards West presumably once he gets dumped.

(No idea what he said, how it was said, what else went on - just pointing out that he was saying something to West)
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Joe being Joe. When, oh when will he hang up his spurs? He had no business in the call or EJ. No one was pointing at. The manager was pointing toward the dugout, and saying he could hear it in there. Not toward Joe, but he still sticks his chins in where they don't belong.

(p.s. does he pocket all that Wilson sponsorship $ ? I know the umpires don't see dollar one, only a few pieces of gear a year.)
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 11:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Apparently the video didn't show the umpires coming together to discuss whether or not anybody saw the batter get hit. This ejection came after Joe had already started back to third and got most of the way there.

If you convince the umpires to come together and discuss something like this, you should be prepared to get run if you go off the deep end (especially while gesturing) afterwards.

There's a cut at 0:20.

Watch at 10:20 of this:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=18562715 -- at 10:40 Holbrook calls the crew in. Then *this* video is cut. It's resumed after the ejection and Johnson headed up to third.

Gesturing like that is going to get you run, especially in the Major Leagues. It's probably going to get you run from any game I work, too.

Of course this just lets the usual suspects get another dig in at Joe West for doing his job.

Last edited by Rich; Wed Aug 31, 2011 at 11:38pm.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 12:06am
Do not give a damn!!

I was prepared to say something about Joe West, but it appears he was being yelled at. The video was clearly edited.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Also watch around 9:30, where the PU takes his mask off and follows the batter off the circle. Let the guy have his say, and let him walk off. He didn't turn around, and show you up.

Look, the MLB is show business, and nobody, I mean nobody, aside from some umpire geeks, paid to watch the arbitors.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 12:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Also watch around 9:30, where the PU takes his mask off and follows the batter off the circle. Let the guy have his say, and let him walk off. He didn't turn around, and show you up.

Look, the MLB is show business, and nobody, I mean nobody, aside from some umpire geeks, paid to watch the arbitors.
And what does that mean? I guess that the players should be disrespectful and the umpires should just take it? I find it funny if the umpires did anything to the players or coaches like they do to them, then people would be upset and say they stepped over their bounds. But the players and coaches can rant and rave, pout like children and the umpires are supposed to look the other way. Unbelievable!!!!!

Peace
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You have no idea what was said to the PU.

It's ironinc that you are getting on the guys in this case for "manning up" like you want the basketball guys to do.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

The best thing about this is the next pitch. STFD.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 07:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

You're talking like a rat, now. Congratulations.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Easy now, fellas. Remember, I'm just talking about MLB here. Not what we do. If a guy turns around says $#!+ to me, yeah, he's getting run. But it's different at that level. You let him have his say, and as long as he's moving on, you don't chase him with your mask off. That's the way most handle it.