The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 27, 2011, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
I assume that's sarcasm. If so, it is certainly misdirected. You continue to brighten this forum and enlighten posters with such amazing posts and supportive opinon by such world recognized experts as David Nemec. I've never understood why MLB hasn't hired him as a rules interpreter and consultant.

Good work.
I think it is a universal consensus that the OBR rule book could be written a lot better. Sometimes it isn't such a bad idea to go outside the box to make an improvement. I recall avidly reading the Bill James Baseball Abstracts when they first came out, what was it, about three decades ago? He was ridiculed and scoffed at. He "never played the game, what could he possibly know?" It turns out he knew a lot and he literally changed the face of the game.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2011, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Concerning original op, run would not score
Old Wed Jul 27, 2011, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
Remember the ball 4, R2 overruns 3rd base and is tagged out before R3 scores case play? Ruling run scores, out ends the inning.

Same ruling I have in this play, run scores, out at first on appeal. But that would not erase the winning run.
In Larry's play, the out at first (if there is one) is the third out of the inning, so no runs would score. Surely you can see how an out at first is different from a non-force out at third.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2011, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1953 View Post
It is at least as interesting as spending 3 or 4 pages on what is the best shade of gray for an ump's pants, IMHO. But I guess you real umpires have different priorities. From the looks of the way the game is being ump'ed at the MLB level, it certainly shows. But they sure look cute in their blue polos and charcoal gray pants and twin ball sacks. Carry on....
Keep playing this song - you're the only one playing it. Looking at the most recent 25 threads, exactly one was about uniform, and one more about equipment. Drop it.

PS - no run. No thought required.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jul 27, 2011, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

I had nearly this play a couple of years ago and posted it here. Tie game. Bottom 7. R3 with 2 outs. 3-1 count. Ball 4 bounces in the dirt and goes to the backstop. R3 comes in to score.

B/R gets about 20 feet toward 1st base when his dugout (1st base side) empties to celebrate the win. He joins the celebration and never reaches 1st base (and also never makes it to the dugout).

There was much debate as to whether the B/R can be called out for abandonment (and at what point that happens.) Best advice I had from this forum: as soon as I see the dugout empty, yell, "Stop. The game is not over."
Old Wed Jul 27, 2011, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is at least as interesting as spending 3 or 4 pages on what is the best shade of gray for an ump's pants, IMHO. But I guess you real umpires have different priorities. From the looks of the way the game is being ump'ed at the MLB level, it certainly shows. But they sure look cute in their blue polos and charcoal gray pants and twin ball sacks. Carry on....
Any time you do not like the way this forum runs, you are welcome to go elsewhere.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2011, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think it is a universal consensus that the OBR rule book could be written a lot better. Sometimes it isn't such a bad idea to go outside the box to make an improvement. I recall avidly reading the Bill James Baseball Abstracts when they first came out, what was it, about three decades ago? He was ridiculed and scoffed at. He "never played the game, what could he possibly know?" It turns out he knew a lot and he literally changed the face of the game.
You are not an umpire so we don't care what your opinions or theories about baseball rules are.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2011, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Had one in LL, bottom 6, tie game, sacks juiced. Ball 4 to B1. R3 touches home; dugout erupts. B1 does not touch first, but stays in live ball territory.

I am U2, but I stay on the field, watching B1. Finally, someone tells him to go touch first. As he runs to 1B, F2--honest--throws to F3, who tags B1 before he touches the sack.

As soon as B1 hit the bag, I hightailed it out of there.

In the parking lot, VC (very civilly) asked me why B1 wasn't called out on the tag. I said, "New rule, coach. When a batter gets four balls, he gets to proceed, unmolested, to first base."

Slight chuckle.