The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 07, 2011, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Ball/Strike count confusion

Had this happen to my plate partner and wasn't sure how to handle it either. Pitches go like this:
1. Foul tip strike - not recorded on indicator
2. Ball
3. Foul Ball
4. Ball.
Count should be 2 & 2 but recorded as 2 & 1 and plate ump tells batter count is 2 & 1.
5. Called strike.

Opposing coach comes out of dug up and tells the umpire that should be strike 3. Explains the pitch process and then the plate umpire tells the batter he's out on strikes.

Batter's coach gets' upset and talks to the ump that he can't change his count and call his batter out because he messed up. Ump stayed with his decision and the batter was out.

What's the ruling on this and if there is a reference in rules/case book on this, please list. I can't locate one.

Thanks,
Old Tue Jun 07, 2011, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Tell the OHC that you didn't change the count; what you gave as the count was wrong. The count is the count, what you say can be wrong. Then get ready to take the heat for giving the wrong count. Happens. Usually though when I give a wrong count, the slighted party will try to correct me then. Hopefully.

I used a new indicator this season, and ran into a few situations where it was wrong. I'll always try to review the pitches in my mind each at bat before checking my indicator.

Don't think that this is covered explicitly in the rules.

Last edited by GerryB; Tue Jun 07, 2011 at 08:02am.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2011, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
Don't think that this is covered explicitly in the rules.
It kind of is. Says the batter is out after a third strike. The rules don't tell us anything about using an indicator or calling out the count verbally. The count is the count.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 07, 2011, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

I think my point was "umpire says count wrong" is not covered by the rules. The count is the count.
Old Tue Jun 07, 2011, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by donj View Post
Had this happen to my plate partner and wasn't sure how to handle it either. Pitches go like this:
1. Foul tip strike - not recorded on indicator
2. Ball
3. Foul Ball
4. Ball.
Count should be 2 & 2 but recorded as 2 & 1 and plate ump tells batter count is 2 & 1.
5. Called strike.

Opposing coach comes out of dug up and tells the umpire that should be strike 3. Explains the pitch process and then the plate umpire tells the batter he's out on strikes.

Batter's coach gets' upset and talks to the ump that he can't change his count and call his batter out because he messed up. Ump stayed with his decision and the batter was out.

Thanks,
After the coach said "that should be strike 3", the FIRST person the PU should have consulted with is his partner. Go through the pitches and hopefully your partner can aid you.

What happened here is the coach went through the pitches and then the PU changed the call and IMO that's what most likely made the other coach upset. Not saying he would not have been upset anyway but when you and your partner get together and change things it looks better.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Jun 07, 2011, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
I think my point was "umpire says count wrong" is not covered by the rules. The count is the count.
Yeah ... hence the "kind of".

West Houston Mike