The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 11:00pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by realistic View Post

I didn't realize that JWWashburn was a scab. That explains alot of his posts.
Being a scab would be a step up in class for him.

The Unabomber "manifesto" makes more sense than the vast majority of his posts.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 05:36am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
Second, I am surprised that Mr. Davidson found the right person to eject, in a park with 10-20k people in it. If he got the right guy, great.
While I understand your point, kinda, as memory serves me, this guy was sitting at the end of one of the first rows in the lower deck near home plate and the dugout. It's not like he hollered from the upper deck and the ump had no idea who he was and had to search him out.....

And the "fan's" reaction to his ejection easily proved he was the right guy to go.....and knew it.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 05:41am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Cool Hand Luke......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
In either case, I'll wager this is his last season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir View Post
I'll take that wager. How about a beer at the place of your choosing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
1047 Main Street, Buffalo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrumpiresir View Post
You're on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Count me in Baby, and I will buy the first round of wings and brew.
Prisoner: "Hey, Babalugats. We got a bet here."
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
And it is THEIR job to do so...unlike Davidson.
So if you hear a fan swearing at a player or questioning his sexaul preference you aren't going to do anything? When that player goes over to the fence or worse into the crowd hasn't that just disrupted your game? I am fine with taking care of it the way Bob Davidson did.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So if you hear a fan swearing at a player or questioning his sexaul preference you aren't going to do anything?
No, I'm not. Not unless they are yelling at kids.

Quote:
When that player goes over to the fence or worse into the crowd hasn't that just disrupted your game?
The threat of a LONG suspension is sufficient deterrant for this type of behavior.

Quote:
I am fine with taking care of it the way Bob Davidson did.
Then you are probably as overofficious as Bob Davidson.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
First off, no it is not okay, and that is why they have ushers and security people to deal with issues like this. My impression is it is their job to deal with this stuff, not an umpire trying to call a professional game.

Second, I am surprised that Mr. Davidson found the right person to eject, in a park with 10-20k people in it. If he got the right guy, great.

Third, weren't you taught not to get involved with policing the stands or fans unless there is a major problem in them? Normally IMO you should ignore the fans unless there is some very, very good reason to have to deal with them, esp, in an MLB park. In HS sports, you are always told to get a site manager or head coach to deal with the problem. NCAA Baseball is the same way.

Fourth, Mr. Davidson is really going against standard practice, and where do you draw the line? If some fan in the 4th row calls him #$$&##@&%@&**), does this ejection allow him to start throwing out paying customers? It's a slippery slope he is close to getting on, I hope he is careful.

That is all I am saying. And MLB brass have not liked things umpires have done in the past, and have fined umps and even suspended them. I could see Mr. Davidson getting fined for this act, if for no other reason than to make clear this is not an umpire's job, to deal with bad behavior off the field by fans, unless it affects play on the field.
Wow,

I did not realize that Davidson went into the stands, went "bill of the hat to bill of the hat" with the idiot , took two steps backwards and gave him the "heave ho"..................

If you actually take your blinders off and look at the action, he is imploring the security staff (grandpa) at the dugout to get moving so they could get the game going.

He then had to point out the drunkard to another highly trained "security professional" (grand daughter).

The staff had no clue what was going on. Heck, you can even see the fan in the front row by the dugout point the idiot out to grandpa.

Davidson handled the moron(s) (staff included) as he should have.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Prisoner: "Hey, Babalugats. We got a bet here."
I'll be there in Dec. set up the time.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
He was going to do it between innings, but it threatened to get out of hand, so, like a man with a set of stones, he acted, so a man with a set of clubs wouldn't.

As you stated, you believe all swearing is the same, and everything Davidson does is objectionable. That reeks of bias, and puritanism, so with your inability to be unbiased, and your inability to digest adult language, perhaps baseball isn't the right game for you.

You are obviously giving this a cursory and narrow look. Try harder.
It threatened to get out of hand? What a load of crap. Davidson was really worried that Molina was going to commit a felony because some guy was yelling at him? That is beyond stupid. Davidson likes for people to notice him. That is why he goes out of his way to be noticed. He is one of the least respected umpires by players, managers, coaches and other umpires because he is such a joke. He does things that no other umpire does like his incessant balk calling. I have seen several times in the last few years where he did not even bother to shave before a game.

I think the fan should have been ejected if he was actually saying that stuff. I would be awfully surprised if it was really that bad because I think someone would have turned him in.

I never stated that all swearing is the same. I stated that I have heard Davidson in person on numerous occasions using language that is remarkably offensive to an awful lot of people. For this he has gotten no sanction whatsoever.

Last edited by jwwashburn; Fri Sep 10, 2010 at 11:17am.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's a small fraternity in the Bigs and if a fan is messing with a player, the umps are going to take care of it, if they have to. Molina is back there keeping Davidson safe and Davidson is going to take care of him over a dumbass jerk in the first row.

I didn't realize that JWWashburn was a scab. That explains alot of his posts.
It's nice that the moderators allow personal attacks of members on the forum.

I am not sure what you mean by the term scab, realistic. Furthermore, it has nothing to do with the discussion of Davidson booting a fan.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Being a scab would be a step up in class for him.

The Unabomber "manifesto" makes more sense than the vast majority of his posts.
I do not believe I have ever had the honor of you personally attacking me, Mr Tyler. I consider this validation that my posts are coherent and my opinions correct.

With you on the other side, I can be assured I am on the right track.

Thank you for you guidance.

Last edited by jwwashburn; Fri Sep 10, 2010 at 11:28am.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, Kevin, we are not major league umpires. The highest level I ever worked was a few Minor League gamjes as a fill in many years ago.
This is what I am referring to when I mentioned being a scab. Also I was not attacking you, I was stating a point. You have some crazy idea's IMO but when I saw you mentioning being a fill in it made alot of those comments that you make understandable.

Last edited by realistic; Fri Sep 10, 2010 at 11:54am.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have no idea what the fan said. It might have been what Davidson said it was and it might not. If it is what the report was, then I think the Secuirty/cops should have removed him. The security guards and police might have done a good/decent or terrible job. A lot of times they do an awful job. My point is that it is none of Davidson's business what a fan is saying-this was not a high School game. There people there whose job it is to take care of this.
From the other reports I've read, Molina was ready to go all Ron Artest/Ty Cobb on that dude's a$$; on that rationale, Davidson has a dog in that hunt. Since you're all over him about this, I can only imagine your reaction if Molina had gone off: "Davidson's a joke - he can't keep control of the field and players!" Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Quote:
What about a fight in the stands? I think they almost always kick those folks out, right? what if they did not eject someone? Should Bob order that person gone, also?
Apples v Oranges.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieUmp View Post
From the other reports I've read, Molina was ready to go all Ron Artest/Ty Cobb on that dude's a$$;

How is he going to do that from the other side of the backstop?
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is what I am referring to when I mentioned being a scab. Also I was not attacking you, I was stating a point. You have some crazy idea's IMO but when I saw you mentioning being a fill in it made alot of those comments that you make understandable.
Those are Mighty big assumptions you make there, Mr Hoffa. They also have nothing to do with Mr. Davidson.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Originally Posted by HokieUmp
From the other reports I've read, Molina was ready to go all Ron Artest/Ty Cobb on that dude's a$$;

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan View Post
How is he going to do that from the other side of the backstop?
Excellent question.

So, Davidson is supposed to stick his nose where it belongs because Molina was about to commit a felony? That makes no sense. He never could have gotten to him and would have stopped had he tried. If some millionaire cannot take a moron yelling at him, that is his problem...not the umpire.
Closed Thread