The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Teach Tee Something, #3:

Play: R1, R2. Batter swings and misses for strike 3. F2 fails to catch the ball which rebounds in front of the plate. Both runners attempt to advance. BR, thinking he can run to first, takes off and UNintentionally collides with F2, preventing an easy play on R2 at third.

Ruling: ?
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Well,

I've got nothing.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Quote:
Play: R1, R2. Batter swings and misses for strike 3. F2 fails to catch the ball which rebounds in front of the plate. Both runners attempt to advance. BR, thinking he can run to first, takes off and UNintentionally collides with F2, preventing an easy play on R2 at third.

Ruling:
?
FED does not contain the OBR language in the comment section under OBR 7.09(j)
nor does FED support "weak interference"

There is a FED case play that talks about B1 unintentionally kicking a ball and the ruling was Nothing but in your OP we are talking about a player.

Ruling:

Since B1 K'd he is out (assumption we had less then 2 outs and 1st was occupied at TOP).

If in the judgement of the umpire the defense could have made a play on another runner then the other runner is called out in this case R2.

I am work so I do not have the FED rule reference handy.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post
FED does not contain the OBR language in the comment section under OBR 7.09(j)
nor does FED support "weak interference"

There is a FED case play that talks about B1 unintentionally kicking a ball and the ruling was Nothing but in your OP we are talking about a player.

Ruling:

Since B1 K'd he is out (assumption we had less then 2 outs and 1st was occupied at TOP).
A couple of clarification points.

1) Any rules code (well, at least FED, NCAA and OBR). The ruling might be different.

2) This isn't an instance of "backswing" (or "follow through" or "weak") interference.

3) Yes, fewer than 2 outs. BR is not entitled to try for first base.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Ruling: ?
Here's my $.02. I don't have a rulebook handy so no citations. As the umpire, I cannot read the BR's mind, and I don't know if he's taking off to 1B because he thinks he has a right to or because he wants to interfere in some way. I assume by "unintentionally" colliding with F2 you mean he doesn't make it obvious he is trying to interfere. At this point I would kill the play, the batter is already out on stikes so you can't call him out on the interference, so you call R2 out and send R1 back to 1B (assuming that there were no outs to begin with.) I feel this is similar enough to the BR interfering with the catcher making a play on a stealing runner on strike 3. Bottom line, the BR did something he shouldn't have (run towards first).

Here is my rationalization: You've got a fielder attempting to make a play (F2) and a BR already put out interfereing (regardless of intent). You've got to penalize the offending team, so I would call out the runner on which I believe F2 was going to make the play on.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

For OBR

I'm going to say I've got nothing. 7.09(e) Comment, I have nothing unless intentional.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBa Booey View Post
Here's my $.02. I don't have a rulebook handy so no citations. As the umpire, I cannot read the BR's mind, and I don't know if he's taking off to 1B because he thinks he has a right to or because he wants to interfere in some way. I assume by "unintentionally" colliding with F2 you mean he doesn't make it obvious he is trying to interfere. At this point I would kill the play, the batter is already out on stikes so you can't call him out on the interference, so you call R2 out and send R1 back to 1B (assuming that there were no outs to begin with.) I feel this is similar enough to the BR interfering with the catcher making a play on a stealing runner on strike 3. Bottom line, the BR did something he shouldn't have (run towards first).

Here is my rationalization: You've got a fielder attempting to make a play (F2) and a BR already put out interfereing (regardless of intent). You've got to penalize the offending team, so I would call out the runner on which I believe F2 was going to make the play on.

Agreed.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
7.09e comment means his mere presence of advancing is not to be considered interference. It says it right there... "shall not by that act alone be considered [interfering]".

Yes, his advancement is not interfering. But by hindering or impeding F2s play on another runner after he has just put out is interference, and 7.09e gives us our penalty, "such runner [that the play was going to be made on] shall be declared out for the interference of his teammate."

It is indeed the same rule that is used on the "batter you're out on strikes, runner, you're out on the interference" on the typical steal play strike 3.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

The batter is not entitled to run. Say he did this on a dropped strike 2 thinking it was strike 3 and the same play happened.

If R2 was stealing, I would call him out on interference by the batter.

Had this been strike 3 with R2 only (BR entitled to run) then this would be nothing.

In an NCAA game, the ball is dead and all runners return by rule.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 03:32pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBa Booey View Post

While it has been said a batter cannot not disappear, he just can't materialize in certain spots.

Interference is interference. Agreed with this remedy to the solution.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

The batter is not entitled to run. Say he did this on a dropped strike 2 thinking it was strike 3 and the same play happened.

If R2 was stealing, I would call him out on interference by the batter.

Bossman: In fed you should call the batter out for the interference and return the runner with less than two outs. 7-3-5-c
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco53 View Post
Bossman: In fed you should call the batter out for the interference and return the runner with less than two outs. 7-3-5-c
Well, in the original play, the batter is not a batter anymore when he strikes out (nor a runner since he is not entitled to run). He is then considered another teammate, so the "batter's" interference rule would not apply.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
In an NCAA game, the ball is dead and all runners return by rule.
Reference, please.

I generally agree with those who have this as interference, R2 out, return R1.

I took the question from the NASO yearly quiz. The question made me think for a bit. I'm not sure I would have correctly ruled on the field, at least not initially.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
Well, in the original play, the batter is not a batter anymore when he strikes out (nor a runner since he is not entitled to run). He is then considered another teammate, so the "batter's" interference rule would not apply.
Disagree. He is a batter at the start of the play, same as any other batter who interferes. The ball hitting the catcher's glove doesn't change batter's role after the pitch is delivered. He is still the batter for interpreting BI.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Reference, please.

I generally agree with those who have this as interference, R2 out, return R1.

I took the question from the NASO yearly quiz. The question made me think for a bit. I'm not sure I would have correctly ruled on the field, at least not initially.
7-11-h AR2 Exception

But after reading that, I just caught the end that says "unless runners are stealing on the pitch," so it's the same in all codes.