The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Is this what they teach in PRO School?

I have not attended a PRO School.

My thread centers around the Antics of last nights PU (CB Bucknor) in the Yanks BOSOX game.

Most if not all us have our own "called strike three mechanic" In addition when a player checks his swing and in our judgement he offered at the pitch I have been taught to simply point with the left hand, ring up the strike on the right hand and say "he offered" Until yesterday I have not seen a PU use the "hammer" the way CB Bucknor did on a check swing strile 3

Therefore, for those of you who did attend PRO School, do they teach these types of mechanics?

For what it's worth I read somewhere or someone told me (can't remember offhand) that CB Bucknor is one of the least favorite umpires voted on by the players.

In Summary; For those that saw last night's game what are your opinions?

Pete Booth
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
I have not attended a PRO School.

My thread centers around the Antics of last nights PU (CB Bucknor) in the Yanks BOSOX game.

Most if not all us have our own "called strike three mechanic" In addition when a player checks his swing and in our judgement he offered at the pitch I have been taught to simply point with the left hand, ring up the strike on the right hand and say "he offered" Until yesterday I have not seen a PU use the "hammer" the way CB Bucknor did on a check swing strile 3

Therefore, for those of you who did attend PRO School, do they teach these types of mechanics?

For what it's worth I read somewhere or someone told me (can't remember offhand) that CB Bucknor is one of the least favorite umpires voted on by the players.

Pete Booth
1. Point with the slot hand.
2. Give verbal..."Yes, he did" or "He went" or...
3. Give strike signal

Bucknor was clearly annoyed by the Sox' recent arguing of balls and strikes and was a bit more exuberant than usual on this third strike.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

I have to say, this is probably the fourth time I've seen CB Bucknor at the plate this season. He really needs to take some time off and get his act together! He was never a great plate man but the last few outings have been terrible!
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Pete Booth
I'm no baseball expert, but I was watching the game, and it looked a bit excessive to me. He seemed to put more into the swinging K than to any of the caught looking K's he had called earlier in the game.

That said, I have to agree with Garth that he seemed sick of the whining from the BoSox bench. Also, he's been hired by MLB while I still only call JV football and baseball games.
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again: CB Bucknor just looks like he's got a permanent smirk on his face. Check it out and tell me if it's true or if I'm just nuts.
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 11:26am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
I've said it before and I'll say it again: CB Bucknor just looks like he's got a permanent smirk on his face. Check it out and tell me if it's true or if I'm just nuts.
It' possible, just possible, he looks like this and his zone is suffering because he has switched from a HSM to the traditional mask. I have seen him get his bell rung a couple of times behind the plate wearing the HSM.

I'm just saying.