The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kamil133
i have a question... is anybody could write me what is the best way to teach young kids to propertly throw... is there are any special drills for that??
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
This is an umpires forum. The purpose is for officials and coaches to discuss the rules of baseball. If you're looking for information teaching baseball, there are a number of very good sites that focus on that, but you aren't likely to find much help here.

Take a look at http://www.qcbaseball.com and the baseball drills on Eteamz.com for a good starting point.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Thumbs up babe ruth baseball

Check out the babe ruth baseball site. Cal Ripken, Jr. just released a book that appears to have some really great information.

http://www.baberuthleague.org/

http://ripkenbaseball.com/merchandis...at=168&sub=168

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kamil133
i have a question... is anybody could write me what is the best way to teach young kids to propertly throw... is there are any special drills for that??
Yes, go outside and play, often. That will be special for both of you. At the very youngest age (4-5), the proper way to throw, is straight. Every time he does it, tell him how good that was, and he will do it again and again. It's kind of like potty training.

Videos and books ain't gonna do a 4 year old any good. Time spent will work wonders.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 10:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by kamil133
Grip: two or three fingers; fewer the better.
Arm: elbow ahead of hand when behind the body; hand ahead of elbow in front of the body.
Release: hand moving toward target.
Foot: foot opposite throwing arm steps directly toward target.

Have a ball!
mick
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Please, Mick, stress the important things...

"Have a ball"??

HAVE A STRIKE (3 while you're at it!)

Spend a few extra bucks and get him/her a glove that's soft & will close easily. Don't get one of those plastic, stiff ones!

[Edited by tornado on Jul 1st, 2004 at 12:02 AM]
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

The best video I have for young kids to learn how to play is called "A Coaching Clinic". It is actually for coaches, moms, dads, to learn how to teach, not as much for kids to just watch. Go to amazon.com and search VHS tapes for "A Coaching Clinic" and you will find it for as little as $3.75.

I love "the wall" drill. You throw the ball up against the wall and then field a ground ball as it bounces back to you. I can remember countless hours as a kid throwing a ball up against the brick foundation of our home, and fielding ground balls when it came backto me. I could get one-hoppers or ground skimmers, depending on where I hit that foundation. If I threw too high I would bust a shingle but after I bust a few it did not seem to matter. My parents did not care about a few busted shingles and they sure encouraged me to throw that ball, anytime I wanted to.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by akalsey
This is an umpires forum. The purpose is for officials and coaches to discuss the rules of baseball. If you're looking for information teaching baseball, there are a number of very good sites that focus on that, but you aren't likely to find much help here.

Take a look at http://www.qcbaseball.com and the baseball drills on Eteamz.com for a good starting point.
Speak for yourself. I get goose bumps thinking about the first time I went to the yard to play catch with a 5 year old son and then later with another 5 year old son. I was a father before I was a coach, and a coach before I was an umpire. Now I just umpire and think about someday coaching again.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

I say go and buy Tom Emanski's Baseball World's Defensive Drill Video. You know that one that is enthusiastically endorsed by Fred McGriff. I mean if this video can teach kids to throw a ball into a garbage can laying on the ground at home plate all the way from centerfield, then it must be able to teach them how to properly throw.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/caple/030709.html
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
If I'm not mistaken, this was the guy in eastern Europe who was looking for equipment donations. I don't think he's going to be buying videos or gloves.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 09:11am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by tornado
Please, Mick, stress the important things...

"Have a ball"??

HAVE A STRIKE (3 while you're at it!)
Yer right, tornado.
But ya still need the round thing first, yo?
mick

Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kamil133
Quote:
Originally posted by akalsey
If I'm not mistaken, this was the guy in eastern Europe who was looking for equipment donations. I don't think he's going to be buying videos or gloves.
you right...
just searching some info, what could help me with training...

and about donation... i found nothing
so maybe some of you know any shop with cheap items to play? could be second-hand...

c y
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Here check this out.

http://www.eteamz.com/baseball/instr....cfm/Throwing/