The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

How can I teach my players to

We had a play last night in a FED game. R2 & R3, 1 out. The infield is playing in. The batter hits a gound ball in the hole between second and third. F6 dives for the ball but does not catch it. As the ball is just past the fielder R2 steps on him and stumbles toward third. BU signals a delayed dead ball. R2 scores on the play and the play ends without discussion. The next inning I asked the BU what he was going to call with the delayed dead ball. He said that F6 interfered with B2 and he was protecting him to third base. I told him that it was just incidental contact because the ball the fielder and the runner were just in the same place at the same time. He said, "No. Once the ball passes the fielder he has to get out of the runner's way." I didn't discuss this any further because it really didn't matter.

My question is: How am I supposed to teach my fielders to "disappear" as soon as the ball passes them? He was on the ground from his dive when the contact occured immediately after the ball passed him. This point was not in dispute as the base umpire confirmed that the contact occured at "pretty much the same time the ball was passing the fielder." (His words. Not mine.)
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmbu
We had a play last night in a FED game. R2 & R3, 1 out. The infield is playing in. The batter hits a gound ball in the hole between second and third. F6 dives for the ball but does not catch it. As the ball is just past the fielder R2 steps on him and stumbles toward third. BU signals a delayed dead ball. R2 scores on the play and the play ends without discussion. The next inning I asked the BU what he was going to call with the delayed dead ball. He said that F6 interfered with B2 and he was protecting him to third base. I told him that it was just incidental contact because the ball the fielder and the runner were just in the same place at the same time. He said, "No. Once the ball passes the fielder he has to get out of the runner's way." I didn't discuss this any further because it really didn't matter.

My question is: How am I supposed to teach my fielders to "disappear" as soon as the ball passes them? He was on the ground from his dive when the contact occured immediately after the ball passed him. This point was not in dispute as the base umpire confirmed that the contact occured at "pretty much the same time the ball was passing the fielder." (His words. Not mine.)
Teach them to get to the ball or let it go.

As I read the play, the umpire made the correct call.

As a general rule of thumb -- the fielder has an "absolute" right to field the batted ball, so he also has an "absolute" obligation to get out of the way if he doesn't field it. The fielder doesn't have an absolute right to catch a thrown ball, so he's given some leeway in disappearing if he doesn't catch it (tangle / untangle).
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmbu
My question is: How am I supposed to teach my fielders to "disappear" as soon as the ball passes them?

the same way you want Batter Interferance CALLED because the righthanded BATTER didnt 'disapear' when theres a steal of THIRD!

cant have everything--but you all will try !
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
This is NOT a 'train wreck' where two bodies are trying to occupy the same space because the play/throw takes them there. This is obstruction, and the fielder has to avoid making contact with the runner.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

OBR 2.00
Obstruction
Comment ................ After a fielder has made an attempt to field a ball and missed, he can no longer be in the "act of fielding" the ball. For example: If an infielder dives at a ground ball and the ball passes him and he continues to lie on the ground and delays the progress of the runner, he very likly has obstructed the runner.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Did the umpire really say that F6 interfered with the runner?
Old Sat Sep 22, 2007, 02:47am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Teach your players that the game is full of umpires who haven's a clue what they are doing.