The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

O.U.T.S. to teach both 2 and 3 umpire systems

I've got great news...after discussing it with our staff, and because of massive feedback on students wanting to learn three-umpire mechanics, we've changed our plans and will offer BOTH at our school in February-March.

Time frame stays the same, but consider it like choosing an elective in college: We will teach the group that wants three-umpire experience what they want, and the two-umpire group what they want. Both groups will, of course, come together for classroom, pitching machine work, etc, but when it comes to mechanics with two and three umpires, we will separate and do things a little differently! We just wanted to include everyone, no matter what level they have achieved or would like to achieve.

All the info is on www.outschool.biz, take a look and tell me what you think! I'm up for constructive criticism, so be honest. We're getting more students each day, and it never hurts to find out what the "public" thinks

Bob Bainter
[email protected]
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
3 Man

Who is teaching the 3 man Mechanics Course? How much experience do the 3 man instructors have working 3 man Crews?
Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub42 View Post
Who is teaching the 3 man Mechanics Course? How much experience do the 3 man instructors have working 3 man Crews?

Perhaps the question should be how much experience do the three-man instructors have teaching three-man mechanics.

Many people have the skills to perform something perfectly, but do not possess the teaching skills to instruct it well.

I've met some wonderful professional umpires who excel at their craft, but couldn't teach a dog to play dead if they were armed with a 44 magnum. They just don't have the pedagogical skills to match their umpiring skills.

"Doing" does not equate "teaching."

One reason Jim Evans is so successful is that in addition to being an excellent umpire, he is a trained and experienced educator.

I am not trying to bust anyone's hump here. I hope Bob's camp is very successful. I hope that everyone who pays good money to attend gets their money's worth and that O.U.T.S. produces excellent umpires.

I am just pointing out that claims of past performance are not the most important element when it comes to transferring knowledge. And I am not just picking on umpires. Some of the worst professors I ever met as a student and as a colleague had excellent reputations as practitioners in their fields and some were famously published and referenced by experts nationally. They just didn't have the teaching skills required to train others in what they, themselves, did, very well.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Sat Jan 17, 2009 at 05:27pm.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub42 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Perhaps the question should be how much experience do the three-man instructors have teaching three-man mechanics.

Many people have the skills to perform something perfectly, but do not possess the teaching skills to instruct it well.

I've met some wonderful professional umpires who excel at their craft, but couldn't teach a dog to play dead if they were armed with a 44 magnum. They just don't have the pedagogical skills to match their umpiring skills.

One reason Jim Evans is so successful is that in addition to being an excellent umpire, he is a trained and experienced educator.

I am not trying to bust anyone's hump here. I hope Bob's camp is very successful. I hope that everyone who pays good money to attend gets their money's worth and that O.U.T.S. produces excellent umpires.

I am just pointing out that claims of past performance are not the most important element when it comes to transferring knowledge. And I am not just picking on umpires. Some of the worst professors I ever met as a student and as a colleague had excellent reputations as practitioners in their fields and some were famously published and referenced by experts nationally. They just didn't have the teaching skills required to train others in what they, themselves, did, very well.
Good point. I'm not Jim Evans (interesting you never mention Harry's school...hmm...who could you be...who could you be... ) and don't claim to be. They say those who can, do, and those who can't, teach. So I must not be able to teach. LMAO!

Seriously, I've had e-mails from students who are CURRENTLY enrolled at both schools that had they known about us, they would have come here because it's now apparent to them that the whole point of umpire schools is to train umpires for professional baseball, which is the way it should be. They don't use pro rules or mechanics, so why bother? We are just different since we train umpires for amateur baseball.

So, enough said. Come if you want, don't come if you don't. If you think Jim Evans is a god, then go to his school. Same for Harry. They both run great schools, and we are just an alternative.

Bob
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

But you must understand, Bob, America is only yea big. And three umpire schools ...
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bainter View Post
Good point. I'm not Jim Evans (interesting you never mention Harry's school...
I didn't mention Harry because I was citing an example to illustrate my point regarding educators.

I didn't say you couldn't teach, I said that "doing" and "teaching" involve different skill sets. Some have one, some have the other, some have both. (Like you and me)

Last edited by MrUmpire; Sun Jan 18, 2009 at 10:39pm.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
But you must understand, Bob, America is only yea big. And three umpire schools ...

I see no problem with competition. That said, it sounds like Bob is establishing an amateur umpire school. There are several of those of varying duration across the country. One in the southwest is also run by a former AAA umpire. One in southern California is run by MLB.

I think the proliferation of training grounds for amateur umpires is something to be celebrated, not feared.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Sun Jan 18, 2009 at 10:40pm.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

All righty then.

Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 03:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Quote:
I didn't mention Harry because I was citing an example to illustrate my point regarding educators.

I didn't say you couldn't teach, I said that "doing" and "teaching" involve different skill sets. Some have one, some have the other, some have both. (Like you and me)
Mr. Umpire...we are good, aren't we I was kidding about the Evans thing...it's just fun to have someone to chat back and forth with. And that goes for Kevin, too...

On average, what, 150-200 guys go to the two pro schools...out of 250K umpires in the US? I like my chances...and if it doesn't work, I'll have the same attitude on my pro career...I never, ever want to say, "I could have done it. If only I had tried." I tried once, and I'm trying again.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Bob,
Again I wish you all the success. I am curious to know, however, if you have had any discussions with college assignors to get their input? I would like to think that your amatuer school would have some credibility/respectibility with these guys. I'm not saying you currently don't, just wondering. I have attended many 3 day camps where college assignors come to evaluate talent. If I was to attend, I would want to be seen. JMTC
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quite true in some cases.

BTW, I'd hope any instructor teaching umpires would incorporate much more androgogy in their learning program than pedagogy though pedagogy will have its use and merit.