The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
You have no idea what may have been going on between Offerman and the umpires throughout the Dominican League playoffs, or throughout the winter league season. Reyburn (I'm guessing here) was the crew chief as he has several years at AAA, and was stepping in as a crew chief (or senior umpire) should, to help out Bradley, who just completed his first year at AAA. Also, keep in mind that winter ball in the Caribbean is a whole different animal that pro ball here in the states. You can take my word for this, or you can ask any past or present MiLB umpire who's worked down there.
So go easy here, and don't be so quick to be critical of how Reyburn handled himself.
Well, I don't have a grasp of winter ball in the Dominican. Nor, I'm certain, do very many of us.

However, a person in a position of authority over anything should not act in a way that is inflammatory in an already tense situation, and that's what that guy did. He had the authority, and he overstepped.

I'm from suburban L.A. We know all about out-of-control authority and guys who constantly overstep theirs. We have two large groups of those guys. One's called the LAPD, and the other's called the L.A. County Sheriffs.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
Well put Ump153
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
DJ did his job as crew chief appropriately, as trained, and with restraint. He got in between his plate ump and the manager and folded his arms to keep the manager at a distance from his body and make himself less vulnerable to a bump or other contact.

Each year fewer MiLB umpires are willing to work winter ball in Latin America for fear of this kind of behavior and threats made off the field. Two umpires who have worked down south in the past have told me that except for games, they never left their hotel rooms out of such fear.

High school umpires have no business passing judgment on DJ in this incident.
I have a couple friend who in the past have been down there for winter ball and have said similar things. As far as how bad it can get.
Btw I enjoy watching DJ work when he gets called up to MLB
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Again, the HC should have the book thrown at him, even charges filed.

I am also well aware, of where that game took place, which is even more surprising at the way it was handled, knowing the dungeon they were working in and it's reputation.

Again , and I mean this sincerly, there is NO justification for the HC, NONE. But, in my opinion, which may mean squat, the crew chief did not handle this correct. And for those that need instructions on how it could of been handled differently, spend 25 years officiating Ice Hockey and you will begin to understand.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Again
Again , and I mean this sincerly, there is NO justification for the HC, NONE. But, in my opinion, which may mean squat, the crew chief did not handle this correct. And for those that need instructions on how it could of been handled differently, spend 25 years officiating Ice Hockey and you will begin to understand.
You are entitled to your opinion, but, again, DJ did as he was trained to do, and in that time and place, it was appropriate. And if you need instructions as to why, receive the same training as he did, become a AAA MiLB umpire, and work in the Dominican League, and you will begin to understand.

I wouldn't second guess a trained hockey official doing what he was trained to do, and I won't second guess DJ doing what he was trained to do.

We are obviously seeing the video with different eyes and different backgrounds, but I really don't see all this agression some apparently do. I see far more protective stances than agressive stances by the crew chief.

Last edited by Ump153; Sun Jan 17, 2010 at 09:54pm.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Catcher was tossed

Play involving the catcher's ejection.

YouTube - jose offerman - lucha libre #2.flv
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are entitle to your opinion, but, again, DJ did as he was trained to do, and in that time and place, it was appropriate. And if you need instructions as to why, receive the same training as he did, become a AAA MiLB umpire, and work in the Dominican League, and you will begin to understand.\

I wouldn't second guess a trained hockey official doing what he was trained to do, and I won't second guess DJ doing what he was trained to do.

We are obviously seeing the video with different eyes and different backgrounds, but I really don't see all this agression some apparently do. I see far more protective stances than agressive stances by the crew chief.
Ump 153...As your previous post...once again well put. Some guys just don't get it that when your in the Dominican umpiring you're "not in Kansas anymore."
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
Nice job 153
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 09:37pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post

The worst thing you could possibly do is go to the ground. You know the term, getting the $hit kicked out of you? That's how you get it done to you, by going down. You do everything humanly possible to stay up and move. Everything. Watch Ali again sometime, or Sugar Ray Leonard. The main focus is to make 'em miss and move away.

It's more important to avoid cracked ribs or a shattered jaw or a skull fracture than to exaggerate the impact of a minor blow so that the eventual punishment to your attacker is worse. That's a horrible instinct. Get over that fast.
From MY experience, which is NOT in the Dominican Republic, I stand by my option to "go down and stay down". In 30+ years I've had my share of brawls to deal with, and have never been physically threatened where my safety was an issue (one of the benefits of living in the Midwest, I guess). In my judgement folks would be horrified seeing an umpire get knocked down, and that act would NOT escalate things. It would, however, yield much harsher penalties for the offender.

JJ
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

New Video

This one shows the ejection and that Jose DID make contact with the punch and that he moved to try to strike DJ while he was on the ground.

What a douche.

YouTube - Paulino expulsado antes del trompon de jose offerman
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This one shows the ejection and that Jose DID make contact with the punch and that he moved to try to strike DJ while he was on the ground.

What a douche.

YouTube - Paulino expulsado antes del trompon de jose offerman

Do I hear at the end of the clip (around 0:37) the announcers saying "Mother Phoeking"?
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
And I can't understand a word they're saying.
For a nominal fee I'd be happy to translate the conversation for ya.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

I am not just a high school umpire. As usual, we see another case of professional umpires who seem to do everything possible to fan the flames. Hands on hips. Two umpires on one person. Coach talking to one umpire and another umpire cuts in front and get's in his face to talk in an animated fashion. Walking TOWARDS the coach was talking in an animated fashion. Folding the arms.

Fail! But these are the kinds of things I see from MANY ex and current professional umpires, during pro, college, and high school games. I also see the situations almost ALWAYS blow up and turn into crapstorms.

This guy could have been dealt with much differently. There is NOTHING that could be discussed for THAT LONG on the field! PERIOD! By them even allowing the guy to carry on that long without ejecting him is a fail! Then to display all the aggresive behavior towards him.

"This is what I got coach". After you explain, it is OVER! There is nothing else to talk about. No further dialog is needed once he asks why and you explain. I tell them it is over. If they keep carrying on, I explain that I am going back to my position. If they are still there when I get to that position, they are gone. Eject if needed and TURN AWAY AND LET YOUR PARTNERS GET HIM OUT OF THE PARK! If he refused to go, get security to take care of it.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpref View Post
I am not just a high school umpire. As usual, we see another case of professional umpires who seem to do everything possible to fan the flames. Hands on hips. Two umpires on one person. Coach talking to one umpire and another umpire cuts in front and get's in his face to talk in an animated fashion. Walking TOWARDS the coach was talking in an animated fashion. Folding the arms.
Wow. What video were you watching? DJ got between his partner and the manager as is supposed to. You can even see him trying to "shoo" away his partner. Jose was the agressive party, not DJ

Quote:
"This is what I got coach". After you explain, it is OVER! There is nothing else to talk about. No further dialog is needed once he asks why and you explain. I tell them it is over. If they keep carrying on, I explain that I am going back to my position. If they are still there when I get to that position, they are gone. Eject if needed and TURN AWAY AND LET YOUR PARTNERS GET HIM OUT OF THE PARK! If he refused to go, get security to take care of it.
I suppose that works in Midvale. I'll be sure to recommend it to DJ next time I see him.

Last edited by Ump153; Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 12:55am.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow. What video were you watching? DJ got between his partner and the manager as is supposed to. You can even see him trying to "shoo" away his partner. Jose was the agressive party, not DJ

I suppose that works in Midvale. I'll be sure to recommend it to DJ next time I see him.
Well, I cannot comment about what works in Midvale. I DO however have a rather extensive background with arguing, both the way you see it done in this video, and the way I do it now. I can say with complete certainty that the way I do it now SETTLES DOWN the confrontation and avoids ejections. The way I used to handle it (like in the video) led to a lot of crapstorms (just like in the video).

I could care less if he handled it the way they are taught. They way they are taught doesn't seem to work so well eh?