The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 26, 2001, 05:08pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
I wanted to call your attention to a story just posted on Officiating.com involving an American player on an Argentinean team punching out an official.

After being given a technical foul the player confronted the official and sucker punched him - knocking him unconcious. The referee is still recovering from a broken jaw an possible blindness.

There is more about this event, including photos and video, at the following link: Out-of-control Player Punches Official

[Edited by Brad on Aug 9th, 2004 at 09:15 AM]
Old Sat Jan 27, 2001, 04:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Angry I saw this before.....

and I was in shock!!!!!!! And people wonder why there are not more good officials. Why work hard at a thing that we can get attacked at the drop of a hat. Especially when what we do is not life or death. It is only a game, and a single foul is not going to jeapodize anyone's livelyhood.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2001, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

That thug belongs in jail. I am flabergasted but not surprised. I am not trying to sound like some head shrink but this act is a direct reflection of the lack of discipline that exists in some parts of our world. FIBA, IAABO, and all Federation referees should boycott any games this guy shows up to play in.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2001, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Yea, he should be in jail. But this happened overseas so all they will do is ban him from the league and send him back to America where he becomes a problem here. I hope this video spreads far enough where this guy can't even get in a rec league game.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2001, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Ref to blame too?

The player was in no way justified in hitting the referee.

Yet I think the official could have prevented the incident. How?

Watch the tape. The ref, in repsonse to thug's objection to his non-call on the foul, did not "T with dignity." The official practically t-d him in his face then walked in his path.

The response may have been different if he would've unemotionally called the T, then looped away from the player to report the foul.

For what it's worth, I hope the player gets punished big time.

Old Sun Jan 28, 2001, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry SID

Shifting the responsibility (of the attack) to the official is NOT acceptable!

I work in a juvenile correctional facility and can tell you this is a black and white issue. The Player is TOTALLY responsible for his actions; REGARDLESS of the officials actions.
Old Fri Aug 06, 2004, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to leomazzoleni
Unhappy

I heard about it, but I did't watch the video of the incident. The link our friend gave us is not working anymore. Could anyone send to my e-mail a good link to this video or the video file itself?

Thanks, a lot.
Old Sat Aug 07, 2004, 03:00am
Official Forum Member

pity, could not get to the link, although I do have a short .9mb video of a player punching a referee in Uruguay in a basketball game.
Old Sun Aug 08, 2004, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bradley Batt
I wanted to call your attention to a story just posted on eReferee involving an American player on an Argentinean team punching out an official.

After being given a technical foul the player confronted the official and sucker punched him - knocking him unconcious. The referee is still recovering from a broken jaw an possible blindness.

There is more about this event, including photos and video, at the following link: http://www.ereferee.com/index.cgi?category=basketball&page=outofcontrol
Do you know the player's name?
Old Sun Aug 08, 2004, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to leomazzoleni
From what I heard in the video, it sounds like "Elness Bowling", american player, playing for an argentinian team.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 08:18am
Whack! Get Out!!!

I've updated the original post to include the correct link.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

I'm a young athletic official and I could defend myself (at least temporarily) against this sort of attack with one clause, if I was prepared. I've had players and coaches walk aggressively toward me and it takes every bit of control to avoid getting in a defensive fighting position. Lucky for me, I haven't been attacked. But as an official, are we obligated to "take a blow"?

That sounds like a rediculous statement, but the alternative is be fight ready. And there's no way to be fight ready without looking like it.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
I'm a young athletic official and I could defend myself (at least temporarily) against this sort of attack with one clause, if I was prepared. I've had players and coaches walk aggressively toward me and it takes every bit of control to avoid getting in a defensive fighting position. Lucky for me, I haven't been attacked. But as an official, are we obligated to "take a blow"?

That sounds like a rediculous statement, but the alternative is be fight ready. And there's no way to be fight ready without looking like it.
Doesn't sound ridiculous to me, depnds on who it is and how serious it is, but if he swings he's live game. And if I were you I wouldn't take the blow.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

It's hard to avoid a blow when you're trying to look poised. That's the problem. Do I get ready for a fight by clinching fist and turning into a fighting stance or do I try to stay calm looking? Keep in mind, I'm no ninja.
Old Mon Aug 09, 2004, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Keep poised and as soon as he gets in your face eject him and your partner should help with that(strength in numbers).