The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

I saw a blurb in the local paper this morning that said that the officiating crew for this game last weekend was going to be suspended for one game and not receive any postseason assignments due to several errors made in the game.

No details were provided and I hadn't heard of this before today. Did anybody see this game or hear about what happened?
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the link to the story...

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../sp/sp03a.html
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Does it ever happen at NCAA or NFL level that the clock is officially kept on the field? It does at V and SubV, especially when there's an inept clock operator. If both coaches were notified that the official time was kept on the field, then the final 3 things listed were done correctly (no illegal pass, no illegal motion, since there was no play at all). If that part is true, then these got suspended for missing A) a holding call (who here hasn't missed a holding call!) and B) the Delay penalty - which is both judgement and had to be seen ... I can see any number of instances which would cause the officials to have not seen who batted the ball after the play was over.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

WAC officials do not keep field clock unless stadium clock is inop, according to WAC official statement I saw yesterday when SJS wanted them to review the end of game tape. 1 second is enough for a play when clock starts on the snap....SJS got boned
Old Fri Nov 07, 2003, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Go Warriors!

My observations on the game:

The flank official made a great call on the runner's forward progress being stopped before he reached out and extended the dead ball over the goal line.

Perhaps the officials could have called holding. It did appear to me that holding occurred during that play near the point of attack. If it was called the clock would be stopped to administer the penalty and then restarted on the ready for play.

I did not see any batting and/or unusual delay in getting the ball back to the hashmark to declare it ready for play.

SJSU committed several errors during the next play: it appeared that they did not have enough players on the line of scrimmage at the snap, they were not set for one second prior to the snap, and the QB retreated about 3 steps before he grounded the ball. There should have been multiple fouls on this play. Again, the clock would have stopped to administer the penalty.

Lets say Hawaii accepted the foul for an illegal forward pass/intentional grounding. Under NFHS rules the referee can order the clock to be started and time to run out because a team cannot attempt to conserve time illegally. Is this the same rule for NCAA?

I don't think SJSU got "boned" at all... Its just that the officials got the right result using the wrong mechanics and rule applications.

Not only that, but conventional wisdom in college football is to play for the tie and then take your chances in overtime. I'm not sure the SJSU coach really had his act together at the end of the game. But then its his choice to burn all 3 timeouts and then rush at the end of the game...

I did watch most of the game but I'm interested in getting others opinions on the end of the game.