The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 12:50pm
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Yep. Marty's only mistake was a bad choice of words.
Did Foster say that? Every account I can find goes like this:

Quote:
"He didn't tag me," Jeter told Foster.

"He didn't have to," Foster said, according to Jeter. "The ball beat you."
I think there is a possibility Jeter made up the conversation to deflect. Is there an account from Foster himself?
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post

Rich, that might be true in your neck of the woods, but the coaches here have always wanted that call to go to the defense, and nobody argues the call. It's the way it's always been done. Why fix something that ain't broken? The coaches want that call on defense, so they aren't going to say anything when it doesn't go their way on offense.
I'll bet you a bunch that the reason they want the call to go that way is because the umpires have always called it that way - not because they think it's right. They want the expected call only because they've been taught to expect it.

Now that replay is showing the "real" situation you're stuck. Now they know what the call should have been.

Dug your own grave.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Really?

It's more like they want it their way on both offense and defense. And the post above saying how they act happy on the field and then mock the umpire for missing the actual call in the dugout is spot on.

I've watched coaches from opposing teams come up to a coach who had a run-in with an umpire laugh and chuckle about it and pretty much show that when it comes to umpires they're closer to being on the same team than their uniforms would indicate. A reminder that most coaches are, in the end, of the genus rattus maximus.
So Girardi would prefer his $20m a year F6 to get hurt for no reason? The whole concept of the ball was there & tag close enough is injury reduction. Otherwise we have F5 blocking the bag & slapping the tag down on the hands or in the face. Same with the defense - no spikes to the hands/arms or face, collision reduction, etc.

Watching the video it's clear F5 put the glove down & gave Jeter the choice of how he wanted to be tagged. Granted Jeter moved his hand around the glove but notice F5 didn't slap the tag on when he did - that's big boy ball. Wait till the next time a Yankee runner is in that position - any bets the tag will go down, perhaps a bit firmly?
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 01:43pm

Yeah, I hope every time Jeter slides into a base that the fielder slaps him silly on his head!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

In the TV/KZone/Questec age ...

It is easier for the powers that be to defend the right call that the expected one. There are those that would argue that Eric Gregg was right in calling a wide zone, because the looked like strikes from the dugout and everyone expected them to be so.

When working TV games work hard to get them right.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 01:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
I'll bet you a bunch that the reason they want the call to go that way is because the umpires have always called it that way - not because they think it's right. They want the expected call only because they've been taught to expect it.
Yeah, I've actually had long-time, well respected varsity coaches come out and argue with me when I called a runner safe in such situations. They would, to a man, tell me in no uncertain terms that they were paying me to make that call, and what the hell would ever make me call that runner safe, etc. After a few of those, I decided early in my career to just call the runner out like I had been taught, and not insist on a tag when the ball beats the runner by a large margin.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

It's not unlike the sweeping in-the-vacinity touch of 2B on a DP. No one ever argues that one because it's always expected to be called a DP.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

The television has certainly changed the grand ole game...
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:

I make the "expected call when the ball beats the runner by a significant amount, and the tag is waiting at the bag. You can make all the pretty slides you want, but you're are out.
Steve I agree HOWEVER, the MLB umpires KNOW that just about every call in which a manager / player complains will be replayed a Zillion times in SUPER SLO MO.

They hardly give the "neighborhood" anymore because of Slo Mo replays.

IMO, Jeter has been around a long time and should KNOW what the deal is. If he was a rookie (meaning before he became Derek Jeter) he would have most likely kept his mouth shut.

Another poster IMO, said it best. Up until yesterday Jeter had the trust etc. of his fellow opponents so no need to give Jeter a hard tag etc on a ROUTINE play. How quickly Jeter forgets what happend to him in Toronto. Put him on the DL for an extended period of time.

What has Jeter now done by his comments?

It's time for "BIG BALL" meaning we will start to see some HARD TAGS on routine type plays.

Whatever happend to the tradition of baseball. I guess that went out the window with the lowering of the pitching mound and the advent of the DH among others.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Yeah, I've actually had long-time, well respected varsity coaches come out and argue with me when I called a runner safe in such situations. They would, to a man, tell me in no uncertain terms that they were paying me to make that call, and what the hell would ever make me call that runner safe, etc. After a few of those, I decided early in my career to just call the runner out like I had been taught, and not insist on a tag when the ball beats the runner by a large margin.
Steve:

I'm wondering how this quote does not contradict your statements in other threads where you accused others of looking for outs when there were none there so they could get home quicker.

Could you clarify how these two seemingly opposite viewpoints coincide?

Thanks!
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 03:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
Steve:

I'm wondering how this quote does not contradict your statements in other threads where you accused others of looking for outs when there were none there so they could get home quicker.

Could you clarify how these two seemingly opposite viewpoints coincide?

Thanks!
Comparing apples and oranges again I see. Let me clarify this: I don't make the "expected call" like the Jeter call to go home quicker. I make it because the coaches and players don't want to get their runners and fielders injured by a really hard slide or tag. That is 180° different from calling a runner out who got pushed intentionally and forcefully off of his base by a coniving, cheating infielder trying to get a cheap double play. I never call outs to speed up the game. I pray for outs, but don't make artificial ones.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 05:31pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Yeah, I hope every time Jeter slides into a base that the fielder slaps him silly on his head!
Won't ever happen. It works both ways.
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 05:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Won't ever happen. It works both ways.
I know, but a boy can dream, can't he?
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 06:07pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I think Jeter put up such a stink because he's not supposed to steal in that situation...so if he's out, Girardi lays into him...if he's safe, there's nothing you can really say...it's a bit far-fetched I know, but he's a competitor...probably a bit fired up...

However, I wonder how many times he's been given the "neighborhood" out when turning 2?
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
I never call outs to speed up the game. I pray for outs, but don't make artificial ones.
Listen, we're going to disagree, again.

To me, I have the runner out if the tag is there 90% of the time as well. But if I see the tag very noticably miss, he's safe.

I agree that coaches / players / MLB doesn't want to see hands getting beaten up by a fielder staying in there to make a tag. But he can't ole it either and expect an out. This is a case of out until proven safe IMO, but not automatic out.