The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 05:50pm
Stop staring at me swan.

The game needs these guys too.

I got into a discussion with a guy on a different forum about how much it costs to start umpring and do it the right way with average or slightly above average equipment with can have total costs around $600 (including state registration and association dues, etc)

Here's the reponse I received:

That might be one of the most ludicrous posts I've ever heard.. "shoe polish kit" "$200 mask" "umpire base shoes" "plate shoes" "$25 belt"

If you are serious about umping let me give you some pointers...

-you can go buy the pants at a thrift shop. it will maybe cost you $5 max!
-You just need black tennis shoes, no need to get fancy on the bases.
-I have never gotten hit in the foot, so for me the plate shoes are very overrated. I don't use them.
-You DEFINITELY don't need a $200 chest protector, any cheap one will do because you rarely get hit in the chest. You will find that you ALWAYS get hit in places where you don't have protection such as the arms, hands, and thighs. SO don't splurge on a chest protector.
-I personally think umps with the hockey helmet look stupid, plus i believe that umps should be removing the mask to make calls and how do you do that with a hockey mask. In other words just use any mask. NO need to splurge. Playitagain sports will sell you one for $10-20 bucks.
-you don't need separate rule book, if you don't know the rules already, you shouldn't be umping because you aren't going to be pulling it out during the games.
-Shins, the cheaper the better because you don't want heavy shins and generally the cheaper ones are lighter. Once again, hit up play it again sports for lightweight cheap shins.. Again, you rarely get hit in the shins. Most of the time I don't even wear my shins when I ump because its uncomfortable.
-No need for shoe polish because this is amateur ball. NOT THE PROS.

Needless to say you may not agree with me on all accounts, but I can assure you I ump Amateur games and you probably couldn't tell who I was based on equipment compared with any other ump
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I got into a discussion with a guy on a different forum about how much it costs to start umpring and do it the right way with average or slightly above average equipment with can have total costs around $600 (including state registration and association dues, etc)

Here's the reponse I received:

That might be one of the most ludicrous posts I've ever heard.. "shoe polish kit" "$200 mask" "umpire base shoes" "plate shoes" "$25 belt"

If you are serious about umping let me give you some pointers...

-you can go buy the pants at a thrift shop. it will maybe cost you $5 max!
-You just need black tennis shoes, no need to get fancy on the bases.
-I have never gotten hit in the foot, so for me the plate shoes are very overrated. I don't use them.
-You DEFINITELY don't need a $200 chest protector, any cheap one will do because you rarely get hit in the chest. You will find that you ALWAYS get hit in places where you don't have protection such as the arms, hands, and thighs. SO don't splurge on a chest protector.
-I personally think umps with the hockey helmet look stupid, plus i believe that umps should be removing the mask to make calls and how do you do that with a hockey mask. In other words just use any mask. NO need to splurge. Playitagain sports will sell you one for $10-20 bucks.
-you don't need separate rule book, if you don't know the rules already, you shouldn't be umping because you aren't going to be pulling it out during the games.
-Shins, the cheaper the better because you don't want heavy shins and generally the cheaper ones are lighter. Once again, hit up play it again sports for lightweight cheap shins.. Again, you rarely get hit in the shins. Most of the time I don't even wear my shins when I ump because its uncomfortable.
-No need for shoe polish because this is amateur ball. NOT THE PROS.

Needless to say you may not agree with me on all accounts, but I can assure you I ump Amateur games and you probably couldn't tell who I was based on equipment compared with any other ump
I think you may have found a troll.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 06:04pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I hope you're right.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Troll or idiot. Either way, who cares?
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like me 30 + years ago.

All I can say is , when I was a child I did things like a child. Now that I be a grown up person, I still do things with the energy and enthusiamism of a child however, I need the better equipment to protect this old body.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 08:51pm
M.A.S.H.

Sounds like good advice..... if you are working summer league tee ball.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Cokalinski is back!!

Dave
Old Sun Jul 26, 2009, 02:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Davies View Post
Cokalinski is back!!

Dave
Ha! that's the first thing I thought of when I was reading the post!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Jul 26, 2009, 03:19am
Official Forum Member

Steve. I've been thinking about your weight loss goals, if that's what it is.

68 to go, which brings you to 199. Couldn't you make it 67 to go and settle for an even 200??

I mean, no one wants to weigh 199. 200 sounds so much better.

Don't you agree?

Ya wanna lose weight faster, better and more fun?

Switch to Dave's patented "Wine Diet."

Get home from work, chug-a-lug wine 'till you pass out. Wake up in the morning and go to work. You're too messed up to eat until about lunch time. Eat your brains out. Get home from work and repeat the cycle.

After about 6 months of this revolutionary system, you'll be down to about 180. At that time, your liver falls out, another ten pound loss. Now you're at 170. Awesome!

The only downside? You just ran out of livers!

Bummer, dude. RIP.

At least you died lookin' gooood.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Davies; Sun Jul 26, 2009 at 03:21am.
Old Sun Jul 26, 2009, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

You definitely don't need a $200 CP or mask. 200 bucks will get you a WV Gold and a good solid mask if you poke around.

I don't like the hockey masks either, but I'm not gonna tell a guy he's stupid for using one either.

I see your point though.
Old Sun Jul 26, 2009, 09:07am
Stop staring at me swan.

In my post...I posted the low/average end of a CP and the high end...I didn't say you needed the WV Gold...I said that was the high end cost for CP's. There are a bunch of guys around here where I would not be surprised if he was serious...might be a bit of a troll though too.
Old Sun Jul 26, 2009, 09:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
In my post...I posted the low/average end of a CP and the high end...I didn't say you needed the WV Gold...I said that was the high end cost for CP's. There are a bunch of guys around here where I would not be surprised if he was serious...might be a bit of a troll though too.
Are they making the Riddell Power again? That's the last commercially available $200 chest protector that I remember.
Old Sun Jul 26, 2009, 09:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Davies View Post
Steve. I've been thinking about your weight loss goals, if that's what it is.

68 to go, which brings you to 199. Couldn't you make it 67 to go and settle for an even 200??

I mean, no one wants to weigh 199. 200 sounds so much better.

Don't you agree?

Ya wanna lose weight faster, better and more fun?

Switch to Dave's patented "Wine Diet."

Get home from work, chug-a-lug wine 'till you pass out. Wake up in the morning and go to work. You're too messed up to eat until about lunch time. Eat your brains out. Get home from work and repeat the cycle.

After about 6 months of this revolutionary system, you'll be down to about 180. At that time, your liver falls out, another ten pound loss. Now you're at 170. Awesome!

The only downside? You just ran out of livers!

Bummer, dude. RIP.

At least you died lookin' gooood.

Dave
I don't drink.
Old Sun Jul 26, 2009, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I don't drink.
That's a more dignified response than he deserved.
Old Sun Jul 26, 2009, 10:29am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Are they making the Riddell Power again? That's the last commercially available $200 chest protector that I remember.
FWIW, I posted $160 as the high end for a CP