The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Marty Foster's call at 3rd base today (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53883-marty-fosters-call-3rd-base-today.html)

SanDiegoSteve Mon Jul 06, 2009 08:59pm

Marty Foster's call at 3rd base today

Marty Foster called Derek Jeter out at 3rd base on a steal attempt. F5 had the ball waiting at the base for him. F5 did not apply a tag. Jeter cried like the little biatch he is, and blasted the umpire in the media. Gammons, the professional TOOL, and John Kruk, ex-rat, agreed with Jeter. Winfield told it like it is, that if the ball is waiting there, you're out whether tagged or not.

Question: How does everyone call this play in your games?

I make the "expected call when the ball beats the runner by a significant amount, and the tag is waiting at the bag. You can make all the pretty slides you want, but you are out. Now, if it's really close, and you make a pretty slide and avoid a swipe tag, that's different. You have made an athletic move, and beaten the fielder, and are therefore safe. What are your thoughts on this?

mbyron Mon Jul 06, 2009 09:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 612858)
What are your thoughts on this?

I think the other thread got posted just ahead of yours.

http://forum.officiating.com/basebal...-beat-him.html

SanDiegoSteve Mon Jul 06, 2009 09:18pm

Yeah, but only I asked a relevant question, so my thread stays.

Ump153 Mon Jul 06, 2009 09:22pm

The whiny little sh!t was out. Most players would have trotted back to the dugout.

Rich Ives Mon Jul 06, 2009 09:38pm

Quote:

Marty Foster called Derek Jeter out at 3rd base on a steal attempt. F5 had the ball waiting at the base for him. F5 did not apply a tag. Jeter cried like the little biatch he is, and blasted the umpire in the media. Gammons, the professional TOOL, and John Kruk, ex-rat, agreed with Jeter. Winfield told it like it is, that if the ball is waiting there, you're out whether tagged or not.

Question: How does everyone call this play in your games?

I make the "expected call when the ball beats the runner by a significant amount, and the tag is waiting at the bag. You can make all the pretty slides you want, but you're are out. Now, if it's really close, and you make a pretty slide and avoid a swipe tag, that's different. You have made an athletic move, and beaten the fielder, and are therefore safe. What are your thoughts on this?

What's so hard about calling as it should be rather than what is "expected"?

The only thing that changes on the field is which team complains.

Off the field the replay guys will praise you for getting it right instead of replaying the "wrong" call over and over and over and over and over and telling everyone how you blew it.

Seems like a tie for on the field and a win for off the field. How can you go wrong?

Rich Ives Mon Jul 06, 2009 09:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump153 (Post 612863)
The whiny little sh!t was out.

Only because it was mis-called.

njdevs00cup Mon Jul 06, 2009 09:56pm

Honestly, as a Red Sox fan, I cannot say a bad word about Derek Jeter. He is a class act.

On a different note, maybe Gammons and Kruk should replay the collision catch in the Tigers/Royals game. Check out the second base umpire in a full sprint to get a good view of the catch. The fact that he was even in the picture shows great hustle. Of course later on in the highlight package Kruk replays and slow-mo's a missed call at second base and proceeds to pick the umpire apart.

Matt Mon Jul 06, 2009 09:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 612864)
What's so hard about calling as it should be rather than what is "expected"?

Despite your claim, what is expected is what it should be.

I make this call the same way as what happened tonight. If I don't, I get trouble on-field and off.

Fan10 Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:14pm

Quote:

Jeter cried like the little biatch he is

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Hirschbeck
"In my 27 years in the big leagues, he's probably the classiest person I've been around," Hirschbeck said.
Link: Jeter has issue with ump's reasoning | yankees.com: News

I wonder which assessment of Jeter's character is the more accurate.

DG Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:32pm

Umpires don't get the benefit of super slowmo replay. When the ball and the glove are by the bag and the runner is not there yet it is very difficult for me not to call an out. I expect there were 40,000 or so present who saw an out.

Ump153 Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fan10 (Post 612869)
I wonder which assessment of Jeter's character is the more accurate.

If Jeter laid this tag down and the runner was called safe, he would cried even louder. He's a rat.

Ump153 Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 612865)
Only because it was mis-called.

No, it was the right call.

zm1283 Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:38pm

I call that the same way that it was called in that game today. I've always been told by veterans that if the ball beats the runner by that much, and the runner slides straight into the base, he's out. Like someone else said, if the throw is a little off-line and there's a swipe tag and the runner slides to the inside or outside of the base, it's different.

Dave Reed Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:03am

Forget about Hirshbeck's assessment of Jeter. Read this quote:

"You have to make sure that you have a tag," Hirschbeck said. "It used to be if the ball beat you, you were out. It isn't that way anymore. It's not a reason to call someone out. You have to have a clean tag."

Times change, and the notion of the "expected call" has already passed its expiration date, at least at the higher levels.

Ump153 Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Reed (Post 612887)

Times change, and the notion of the "expected call" has already passed its expiration date, at least at the higher levels.

At least in the press.